Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com....WIERD!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com....WIERD!

Old 06-18-02, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy.com....WIERD!

Recently i received a mailer from buy.com with a coupon inside for either $25 off of a $250 purchase or $50 off a $500 order (same coupon) Anyhoo, I have been wanting to get an x-box for the longest time and the recent price drop due to the console war was the deciding factor to finally get one.

I was going to go to amazon.com and get it there and use thier super saving shipping, but before i bought it, I seen a message saying that because it was such a "big" product that there would be an additional 10.00 charge....Well SCREW THAT...right? So then I went to buy.com and found they also had the super saving shipping deal (plus i had that coupon i mentioned earlier) So i put the x-box in the shopping cart $199.99, and no shipping...GREAT. So i had to bump the total to $250 so i put Halo in there....Suddenly there is a $3.90 shipping charge (even though hallo had the little picture of the super saving shipping TRUCK) so for the heck of it, I just started adding other games, DVD's, and accesories (memory cards, controllers, ect ect) With EVERY item i put in there the price went up by 3.90 per item....

So then i cleared it out totally and put the x-box back in there...then for the heck of it, I added a gamecube...THE SHIPPING STAYED AT 0.00. When i added BIG items the shipping was free, when i added small, EXTREMELY lightweight items,(keep in mind all the little items i was adding still had the super saving truck symbol on them) i would get hit with a 3.90 per item shipping charge....DOH!!! So then i read the fine print on the shipping deal and it said all orders over 99, And UNDER 20lbs. So what they are saying is that an x-box and a gamecube is LIGHTER than an x-box, with a controller and a memory card.....LOL!!! I did end up getting the x-box along with the controller and memory card anyways with that coupon, but i just thought that whole experience was RIDUCULOUS!!! BTW, I read other threads in here and I noticed alot of you do not like buy.com :-) Any comments? Thanks....
Old 06-18-02, 02:16 PM

Your experience with Buy.com doesn't surprise me. I used to buy most of my DVDs from them two years ago!

They frequently offered $20 off of $100 order or $30 off of a $150 order, so I could do pre-orders and get the discount. But all of that has changed!!!

They'll still give discounts, but it has to be an in-stock item, with a minimum purchase of $250 or $500 as you have encountered.

They shipping rates (on DVDs especially) have gone way up. They now charge $2.25 per DVD, unless you want to wait 1-3 weeks for "budget" shipping at $1.40 per title.

The last straw for me, at least was when Buy.com started charging for sales tax. Now I normally don't mind paying the tax, but I just didn't like the way Buy was computing the tax. Specifically, they added shipping along with your merchandise and then figured the tax on the total. If there was a coupon involved, the tax was figured BEFORE the coupon was applied, not on the actual net total.

If you had a problem, you could call their customer service phone line and talk to a real person to straighten it out. Not anymore!

Buycom has changed a lot since they started. It's going to take a lot for me to business with them on a regular basis!
Old 06-19-02, 09:27 AM

Unbelievable.....They just changed thier free shipping policy, now there is NO MINIMUM PURCHASE required....Hey buy.com....Thanx for the royal shaft job :-)