Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How busy will stores be with tommorow's "Harry Potter" DVD release?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that my store has ordered around 200 copies. We have some videotapes(yuck), a lot of "Full Screen" AKA Pan/Scan DVD's, and some widescreen DVD's. My employer is not opening up at midnight(I work for the miltary in a miltary B/X(department store). I know that some stores are opening up at midnight tonight. My job is opening at our usual 9am. I get to work at 10am. Since I will be swamped with people wanting this DVD. I'm writing up some customer order forms in advance for the madness tommorow. I will clock in at least 15 minutes early to help with the madness of this DVD.

Do anybody know how crazy tommorow the stores are going to be with this DVD release? Or could it be a slow day for DVD's?How are stores going to handle this release?Anybody who works retail looking forward to finally getting it out of your stockroom? My copies have been there for two weeks and took up 3/4 of my space in my stockroom so I'm thankful to finally get them out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Aaron Amos; 05-28-02 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-28-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The crew at Wal-Mart yesterday was freaking out. I heard one guy say that he came in at 6 to get ready for Harry Potter going on sale. The spots on the shelves were cleared already so I'm not sure what was gonna take him 6 hours to do.

They seem to be well staffed and ready and this was a store in a smaller college town. Wonder how many they'll sell.

I'm sure it'll be a pretty big release but I'm sure we've had way bigger.
Old 05-28-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
The crew at Wal-Mart yesterday was freaking out. I heard one guy say that he came in at 6 to get ready for Harry Potter going on sale. The spots on the shelves were cleared already so I'm not sure what was gonna take him 6 hours to do.

They seem to be well staffed and ready and this was a store in a smaller college town. Wonder how many they'll sell.

I'm sure it'll be a pretty big release but I'm sure we've had way bigger.
probably put together displays, and any other promo material involved. We did that last night, as well as put up signage, and generally got movies stickered and ready to go. The stupid display took 2 hours alone.

The video store will be busy. We pre-ordered around 250(vhs and dvd), and we only got 76 dvd and 126 vhs for rent, so I imagine the rest of the week will be devoted to "do you have any harry potter?" questions. Ugh.

At least I got my copy last week.
Old 05-28-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The Best Buy where I got mine had about 500 more copies than customers