Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Playcentric reliable

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Playcentric reliable

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Playcentric reliable

I just did a search for this in this forum, but didn't find any comments about it. So if I missed a previous thread about this store, I apolgize. Anybody use them? Are they good to deal with?
Old 04-25-02, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Experience Has Been Positive

I decided to try Playcentric this past Thursday, April 18. I ordered the 4 x-files season sets, 2 other boxed sets, and 3 individual movies. Because the total order came to over $400 the website indicated that the items had to be shipped via courier. So I split the order into 2 parts and was able to order using first class mail. Even with the two orders, the total shipping costs were lower than the courier delivery would have been for the combined order. The packages were shipped on Monday, April 22 and arrived today, April 25.

Here are some other details to note about this order and PlayCentric in general.

1. As their website provides, they charge your credit card within one or two days for all items in your shipment even if one or more items is a backorder or a pre-order. In my case, when I checked my account on Sunday morning I saw that one of the individual movies I had ordered was backordered. So I sent PlayCentric an email on Sunday asking that the backordered item be cancelled. I got a reply back a couple of hours later, YES ON SUNDAY, apologizing for the backorder situation and indicating that my credit card would be credited for the appropriate amount. (And, I just checked with my credit card company and the credit was effective as of Monday, April 22.)

2. Although they are a Canadian based company, they are able to ship from Buffalo as well as from Ontario. Since I live in Maine, this means that the shipment was made using the USPS rather than the Canadian Post.

3. Unlike some Canadian etailers (DirectVideo? North American? TAU?) they charge your credit card directly in US funds rather than charging the Canadian rate which then is translated to US rates at the then prevailing exchange rate. Thus, I got the quoted US$ rate for all of the videos to the penny.

4. I found their shipping charges to be very reasonable. $3.99 for the first items and 99c for each additional item. There was no extra charge for boxed sets...and this rate was for US first class shipping....not media mail.

5. The one minor thing I noted was the packaging. At least one of the shipping boxes was a re-used box from something that had been shipped to them. But still the packages both arrived in good condition and the DVDs were sealed and just fine.

6. Before I purchased from them I noted that there were several threads which noted some concerns about them so you may want to search further to find them. (Someone has repeatedly commented that they are apparently incorporated in the Bahamas..(viewing this as a negative) but so are a significant number of "US" corporations who do that for some tax benefits as I understand. In any event US incorporated companies can certainly cause a lot of grief (eg. Enron.)

In any event I have been sufficiently satisfied with this first order to have already placed another order. Hopefully you will be satisfied if you place an order.

Ken
Old 04-25-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I have ordered a few times from Playcentric and so far I do not have any complaints.

Their prices are very reasonable for box sets even when you include shipping (only 3.99 for first class).

As was mentioned, they do charge your credit card immediatly and that does not sit well with some people (this policy is advertised all over their website).

They do offer coupons via their newsletter which can further lower the price (i received $10 off my ST:TNG Season 2 set).

So far they haven't screwed me over!
Old 04-25-02, 09:28 PM

I have some friggin gripes about playcentric. I ordered TNG season 1 from them on March 21st and I still haven't received it yet. Their CS is dragging their feet. I told them I had not received it and since I live in a university, they said they are not liable for lost mail at a university. PERIOD. That's some crap service. I will never order from them again.
Old 04-27-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by gear02
I have some friggin gripes about playcentric. I ordered TNG season 1 from them on March 21st and I still haven't received it yet. Their CS is dragging their feet. I told them I had not received it and since I live in a university, they said they are not liable for lost mail at a university. PERIOD. That's some crap service. I will never order from them again.
Wow, I bet you got in on the 15% off deal too. What a coincidence that I got in on it too (with TNG 2 and X-Files 5) and my package got "lost" too. After several emails, the responded:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email and your patience. It is very much appreciated.
Star trek 1 was indeed shipped.This item is now considered lost. I can credit
you for the lost, for reshipment takes a long time. It will be faster for you
to reorder. Please confirm what you wish.

Sincerely,

Julia Holburn
Customer Service Representative
PlayCentric.com

Wow, they wil reship it or better, I can reorder it again through their website for 20 bucks more. They will do me the service of crediting my account for the original amount. Hmmmmm .... what oh what should I do???

I asked them why it took longer to re-ship than for me to re-order. I told them to re-ship air. We'll see. Did anyone get the TNG sets with the 15% off promo?