Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

LOL - Banned for life from Best Buy !

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

LOL - Banned for life from Best Buy !

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 01:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Share the story with the local newspaper and get some reactions on BB
Old 03-11-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I re-read the intial post. What is the chances that a $400 card is going to be on sale for $180? At Best Buy? What we may be seeing here is some form of rebate program, in which case the store doesn't have to honor the raincheck for that price ($180) but for the price it was advertised for before rebates.
Old 03-11-02, 05:32 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a brand new card that just came out recently, for which I doubt there would even be a rebate. It was Best Buy's pricing error before the card hit the street. Their dot com had a pricing error too on the preorder of this card but eventually canceled all orders on this card with a compensation in the form of a $30 digital certificate.
Old 03-12-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Whatever. This guy prolly doesn't belong in any store. So a manager won't back the offer? Guess what, he doesn't have to. It isn't a God-given right to be able to shop and get deals. It isn't in the constitution (that I know of anyway). It is a privlige (sp?) and people like him always try to ruin that.
Guess what, if they advertised it at that price and did not run a legally required correction in the newspaper and did not post the legally required correction in the store, the manager does have to honor the price. Unfortunately, corporate America has taken a "screw the public what can they do?" policy. While I do not agree with his public bullying tactics, he is in the right.

Maybe he should take $60 (or whatever it is where he lives) and go file a claim against them in small claims court. Maybe more consumers should start doing this, including myself. Yes, the courts are already littered with trash law suits, but somebody needs to start policing corporate America. Besides, BB would probably never let it go to court, they'd settle.

Either way, he should definitely report it to his equivalent of the Attorney General's consumer fraud division and the Better Business Bureau.

I won't even go into the last part of your statement.

Old 03-12-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Abob Teff, what if BB did post a correction notice? Since he didn't include that in his story, we have to err on the side of the retailer. Anyone with web access can obviously get online and complain and whine about a bad shopping experience. But if he was so in the right, why hasn't he taken it as far as he can go? Prolly cause he wasn't in the right or he is just plain lazy. A $400 card for $180? Shoot, I'd have their consumer affairs or corporate office on the phone until I got my card. But that's just me.

As for the last part of my statement, it's too bad you don't reply. My point is that consumers are not protected by law to have to shop or eat out. If you think otherwise that's your opinion. But where I'm from people get kicked out for rude behavior or for not following the posted rules. Hell, I've had people thrown out of establishments for obnoxious behavior.
Old 03-12-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listen if the guy acted like a jerk, he is a jerk. There is no way around it. But he does have a case. He was given a raincheck, and a raincheck allows people to buy things at a certain price when a store runs out of a special price. As far as we know from this situation, BB really did have this price marked IN THEIR STORES. It doesn't matter if Best Buy posted a correction later - HE GOT A RAINCHECK, that entitles him to the product. No question.

No matter what, if someone writes you a raincheck, you are legally entitled to at it that price. And he can sue. But to file a small claims case isn't that easy - you have to take time out of work and/or school to get it done.

Corporate America relies on consumers who can't afford to defend their rights. Almost all of the laws written into the books favor business, but in the case of consumer law, this guy was in the right.
For an example, here is the Illinois law
http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch815/ch815act505.htm
Old 03-13-02, 12:57 AM

what a bunch of jerks

sounds like a job for the BBB
Old 03-13-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Abob Teff, what if BB did post a correction notice? . . . But if he was so in the right, why hasn't he taken it as far as he can go? Prolly cause he wasn't in the right or he is just plain lazy.
As for the last part of my statement, it's too bad you don't reply. My point is that consumers are not protected by law to have to shop or eat out. . .Hell, I've had people thrown out of establishments for obnoxious behavior.
Edited some of that down for brevity, hope nobody minds.

I am making an assumption that no correction was published as neither BB management mentioned this to the customer (that should always be the first "out") and their are multiple similar stories with no mention of a correction. However, this is an assumption on my part.

I agree that he is probably plain lazy. Rude obnoxious people are. I didn't say that I agreed with his tactics, just his entitlement to the product at that price.

Consumers are protected by law against consumer fraud. This includes such practices as false advertising and bait and switch tactics. If the ad was/is a misprint, the retailer has legal remedies and obligations that BB does not seem to have lived up to. As for "having" to shop or the "right" to eat out, that is not the issue that I am addressing. Yes, he was a jackass and should have been thrown out. Like I said, I'm not condoning his behavior. So I guess maybe we are closer to agreeing than it seemed.

And I would tend to agree that a raincheck is pretty solid evidence of a retailer's intention to sell a product at the stated price.

Old 03-13-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Abob Teff, next time, if ever, I'm in IL, you and I will go out for some beers.
Old 03-14-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Abob Teff, next time, if ever, I'm in IL, you and I will go out for some beers.
Let me know when you're going to be here! And I'm still right even when I'm intoxicated.
Old 03-14-02, 08:55 PM

When I am there I hand some one the card and he rings it up for $399.99. Its then when i whip out my rain check and hand it to him. His jaws is literally hanging and he thinks about it for a second and says, "Sir, im sorry but i cant honor this...the price is too low for this card." I go back to the person I first talked to and show him all the stuff and i could tell that he was thinking to himself :where the **** did he get this stuff!:. He goes in the back and talks to his manager for a while and the manager comes out and say, "we cant honor you this card because it was never advertised at $179.99." Once again I am prepared for this comment and whip out the advertisement that showed it for 179.99.
I bet I know what the problem was. There are two different types of the GeForce 4 card that you can get. One has 64 megabyes and can be purchased anywhere from 129-199 dollars. The more expensive and more technologically advanced 128 megabyte one goes anywhere from 299-399 dollars depending on the store you get it at. I bet either the advertisment was for the 64 megabyte one and the employee that made the raincheck got confused. This would explain why they had different SKU#'s. That might be the cause of the mix up. Just a theory.
Old 03-19-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chanster
The guy has a rain-check, the price should be honored. In fact, by law they need to honor it.
\

Not to mention, didn't the kid have the ad where the price was first listed? I know that from time to time there are printing errors and stores have rights to make admendments to the ads if the printer put the wrong price entirely in there. But he did have the rain check, too. I don't think he needed those other receipts. Maybe he was anticipating running into trouble because he knew the price in the ad was wrong and knew some stores didn't catch it and let the cards out of the store for the wrong price and was trying to take advantage of it. Personally, I hope the kid gets the card for that price. Screw twenty pecent! He should get it for the advertised price and the rain check price!
Old 03-20-02, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by D. Pham

ok, but the only way to make them honor it is to sue them. I mean, a lot of companies (even big ones) do stuff that they think they could get away with. It's not legal, but there's not much you can do to them.
hmm...how bout using the Lee and Wheeler Act to sue them
Old 03-20-02, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Jango Fett II

I bet I know what the problem was. There are two different types of the GeForce 4 card that you can get. One has 64 megabyes and can be purchased anywhere from 129-199 dollars. The more expensive and more technologically advanced 128 megabyte one goes anywhere from 299-399 dollars depending on the store you get it at. I bet either the advertisment was for the 64 megabyte one and the employee that made the raincheck got confused. This would explain why they had different SKU#'s. That might be the cause of the mix up. Just a theory.
Yes, that was definately the case. The price on the $179 card was for the Geforce 4 MX but the sign for it stated otherwise. SKU matched for the Geforce MX.

If you guys thought this was bad.. people that got their free $30 digital coupons for the pricing error are STILL complaining.
Old 03-21-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tropicana
hmm...how bout using the Lee and Wheeler Act to sue them
More information please. What is the Lee and Wheeler Act? Is it federal, state, etc?
Old 03-21-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by stevevt

The manager implied that he would give the guy the deal if he had proof that other stores had sold the cards at that price. The guy provided proof, and the manager backed down.

That's what it shows.

Best Buy doesn't owe anybody anything. But they shouldn't hire people who make promises they have no intention of keeping.
Damned right!

100%

The person had ALL the info they asked for. The managers seemed like they thought "Well, we'll ask him for x, y and z. That will be impossible for him to provide, and then we can say "o pricematch!"

Well, he did have them, and then when they looked like idiots, they bakced down!

---***EDIT
Of course, the story is a litle fishy. Can we can some background info? Like how did he get the raincheck? Where did he get the store add? (or was it a bestbuy.COm add?)
--****EDIT (I just re-read where this info was!)

They SHOULD have honred this! NOW... if they went in depth about the pricing error from bestbuy.com, that would be different
but still not a valid reason why he should not get the item

ALSO based on the reasons they gave him "why and why not", he DEFINIELY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THAT ITEM!

This has an UNCANNY similarity to MY story.

Same thing...

I was promised something by a store employee, and then they lied and would not follow through with ther "promise " to me

Check it out here!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=193772

What do u all think?

Last edited by Sominex; 03-21-02 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-21-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Something similar happened to me many years ago in the Seattle area at some store named Lee's Audio/Video in Bellevue which had a deal going where they would match another B&M store's price. The deal was offered to me by the owner of the store along with condition X, Y, and far-fetched condition Z. I met the condition X easily, and condition Y was met because it was in stock, and I whipped out the printed advertisement with the DATE INTACT. The owner then reneged. With the foot traffic in the store, he might have been guessing that he could quickly sell the unit to someone else who was not as well informed as I was.
Old 03-22-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a case for BestBuySux.org!

Old 03-22-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
Sounds like a case for BestBuySux.org!

My lord!

After going to bestbuysux.org and reading some of those "complaint" letters, I believe this kid's story 100%!

Best Buy sucks a$$!!
Old 03-24-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a lot of the details about what's going on, there's a list of updates here:

http://hypothermia.gamershardware.co...stbuy_gf4deal.

A few people have managed to get the cards. Also some state attorney generals have expressed interest in investigating Best Buy.
Old 03-24-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by UWSarge
For a lot of the details about what's going on, there's a list of updates here:

http://hypothermia.gamershardware.co...stbuy_gf4deal.

A few people have managed to get the cards. Also some state attorney generals have expressed interest in investigating Best Buy.

Link not working
Old 03-24-02, 02:19 PM
Cool New Member

The link needed 'html' at the end:
http://hypothermia.gamershardware.co...y_gf4deal.html
Old 03-24-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by vwbeetlvr
what an ass, trying to suck blood from a retailer like that. I hope asses like that ***.
you here back in the day when everyone was getting 10 dvd's for the price of one? you don't want to screw out retailers, don't step foot in the bargin forum. they like to pointout when a retailer is mistaken.