Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Suncoast..FIRST BAD EXPERIENCE.....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-23-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this policy....whenever I get hassled over a return, I decline to shop at that store.

My ONE store has been Suncoast(Well, and Costco for big releases...)...

Why?

They have taken SO many things back when I ACTUALLY lost the receipt, didn't like the film....I don't even LIE anymore..I tell the truth and hope for the best.

I've been told 'No' a few times, and accepted it.
They were right.

I STILL keep coming back, because they always make my shopping experience pleasent and easy.

Now...

Last night was my first night off to get things done, and we went to a Suncoast I don't go to often.
I went into another store, but my GF came in and told me the manager had some problems.

I was returning:
Boogeymen:Unopened with Suncoast adornments. It was thiers. It really WAS a gift.

Sam Kinison:Family Entertainment Hour- Had receipt, cover was ripped....my GF bought the last copy...apparently a RETURN!!! Thsi thing looks like a cat ripped it up.

An open copy of The Caine Mutiny that I still had my CC bill for....I just wanted another open copy. The spindle was broken.

What I wanted: Store credit for Boogeymen, a new, opened Caine Mutiny, and a DECENT Sam Kinison DVD. Open, of course. I told them to rip them open.

When I came in, I met the 'manager'..a girl half my size and probably 10 years younger..18???17???

She informs me:
They looked for The Caine Mutiny...none in stock. She would keep mine and Special Order one..it would be in in roughly 8 weeks.
At this point I told her I just wanted store credit then, and I'd pick it up elsewhere.

She turned red and said Suncoast didn't do that.
Really?
I have over 100 return reciepts to show they DO give credit when reasonable, and over 1,200 receipts of between $11.26 and $432.97 from the past three years to show her boss.

The Boogeymen DVD ,again, was marked up with Suncoast stickers....you can't peel these off. I can't take it back anywhere else. She offered credit...BUT..it had to be used THEN AND THERE. Wha??? Never heard of this before.

It later occured to me that she was so sketchy about the store credit because it was Monday night, and probably thought I was trying to "Load Up" for Tuesday!!!! I'm sure some people do that, but if the nitwit had checked my PRE-ORDERS THAT I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR.....she would have seen I had all my bases covered.

She had a REAL attitude....and I informed her that this type of hassle is why I won't shop at Best Buy, even though they have lower prices.

She smirked and explained that Suncoast and Best Buy are the same company...which I knew...was I supposed to act shocked?

She said they followed all of BB's policies now..including DVD return.

Okay....

Then I asked her to price match a BB ad....and there is a BB acros the street...

They can't do that.
I was ROFLMAO until this LAST PART....

Most of this is trivial s***, and I would have simmered and gone to 'My' Suncoast....BUT...

Her excuse on the Kinison DVD?
She stood there and looked me right in the eyes and proclaimed the DVD was 2 years old!!!

I then POLITLY asked her to re-check the computer..the VHS is indeed...2 years old...this DVD just came out.

She pretended to type, smiled, and told me I was misinformed.

This is my breaking point. "Pretending" to win an argument, or disagreement just to look better is exactly what you get with a cocky teen manager.

I could have taken all of this, but NOT being told against all facts that this DVD was 2 years old.

Amazing.
Old 10-23-01, 08:33 PM

boo hoo

I have worked retail for 6 years and am tired of people like you. If you want to use retailers like Blockbuster (or any other rental store) be prepared to be hassled. Thank God for every jerk like you there are hundreds of people UNLIKE you!!
Old 10-23-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TNDVDFAN
boo hoo
Originally posted by TNDVDFAN
Thank God for every jerk like you there are hundreds of people UNLIKE you!!
TNDVDFAN,

Please refrain from making personal attacks on other forum members. Failure to do so will result in your suspension or banning from the DVDTalk forums.

You are welcome and encouraged to state your opinion and make your case in a respectful way.

-stevevt
Old 10-23-01, 09:16 PM

Thank God for every jerk like you there are hundreds of people UNLIKE you!!
People like who? People that take whatever tripe comes out of an uninformed, ignorant, clerk's mouth as gospel, even when it's wrong? People who take attitude off a clerk who's annoyed that they might have to put some effort into helping a customer?

I worked at retail for over 4 years (record stores) so I know people often come in and want unreasonable things and are difficult. That being said clerks shouldn't take out their frustration on customers, like Weapon X, who have legit issues. If you can't help it, you're in the wrong line of work.

If you want to use retailers like Blockbuster (or any other rental store) be prepared to be hassled.
I know that shopping at Blockbuster or Suncoast isn't checking into the Ritz or anything, but people should expect at least some courtesy and professionalism no matter where they shop.
Old 10-24-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNDVD...
Why the hostility?
Thank God most customers are UNLIKE me?
How?
They agree to anything a 'manager' barely out of high school says like a sheep and doesn't debate?

The gift: Someone paid GOOD MONEY for this, and policy states I can exchange for credit.
This is not unreasonable.

Caine Mutiny- Broken spindle...happens all the time. She could have called another Sun Coast and sent me THERE ...or just given the credit and shipped it back.

Kinison-I should NOT have argued when the DVD JUST CAME OUT Tuesday?

I worked retail, too....
You a frustrated SunCoast employee?

If I were trying to scam or some such, or if I complained loudly...I'd understand your rather venemous post...but my questions were asked nicely (Trust me, I HAVE to be nice....), but when I was in retail, I got sick of consumers who asked the SAME questions again and again....
So, now I know where this place stands.
Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, it was polite, I was ready to just GO....and in fact, I was being mistreated here....but the Kinison thing really pi**ed me off. Don't lie to my face.

Again, your hostility amazes me....unless you happen to be a teen 'manager' at some movie hut.
I'm sorry, but respect is earned, NOT given by a little 'Clapper' movie logo with a Star on it.

I'll take my framed COLLEGE DEGREE and such over that.

Again, at NO point was I rude.

Boo Hoo?
Yes.

For Sun Coast. They lost a LOT of cash.

"Jerk Like Me"? -I suspect I maybe am dealing with this little gal here...because this makes NO sense.

And "Prepare to be hassled"?
Huh? To stay cool with the Mods, and put it nicely...
I PAY YOUR CHECKS.

Without us "Jerks" who DARE to ask a question and end up buying triple what we intended....your hours would be cut.
Reality.

You get your minimum wage or $7 an hour to do CUSTOMER SERVICE....
That goal is to satisfy a customer and get them happy enough to:
A. Come back.
B. Buy a little something more...Pre-Order something (Which was gonna do if she gave me the credit...Pre-Order TWO films I wasn't planning on buying...)

I'm sorry you took my post so personally...but I have seen/dealt with MANY "Jerk" customers...screamers, those that threaten, kickers, thieves....

I agree with you on them.

But to simply expect a store to honor the SAME policy I have grown accustomed to for 4 years, and not be told I am worng when I am 100% correct is reasonable.

I'm sorry you are not happy with your station in life....do what I did and go pursue your dream. It works out nicely!!

Oh, and for what its worth, I apologize for any statement that might have offended you.

As Brian Wilson says..."Love and Mercy".
Oh..and "Good Customer Service Opens Wallets"

(Okay, he never said that...)

X
Old 10-25-01, 11:30 PM

If I may reply a bit more gracefully than TNDVD...

Last year, I escaped the endless Hades that is retail management. Specifically, I managed a store for the Evil Empire itself, Blockbuster Video (talk about a store you shouldn't give your money to...but I digress).

From your original post, it sounds like you do most of your shopping at one Suncoast, and that you give them quite a bit of scratch. I'm betting the manager and staff know you pretty well by now, and they know if you bring something to return, you're going to spend enough to make up for it. So, maybe they bend the rules for you a little bit. You can't expect that kind of service when you walk into a different store where nobody knows your reputation. I used to do this for a few customers, and most of them understood, but one in particular would always b*tch and moan because he went to Blockbuster in town "X" and they didn't take care of him.

If Suncoast treats credits anything like BBV, unless you spend a lot of money right then and there, or at least that day, the store takes a hit because they treat credit dollars as a percent of total sales. If you walk in and trade a $19.95 DVD for another of the same price, in the books, the numbers look bad. It sucks, believe me, but that's the way the stores operate. Store managers are always being told to hold down credits, but give the customer the best service possible, and those two missions conflict. The person you were dealing with sounds like an assistant manager, who had been told to keep credits down by her boss, who had been told by his/her boss, and so on, ad nauseum.

No excuse for the Sam Kinison thing, though.

I may be off base, and you may understand this already, but my point is, if you stop shopping an entire chain becaue of one bad night, you're gonna run out of places to shop quickly. I'd suggest you take the stuff back to your usual store, and let them take care of you.
Old 10-26-01, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for one of the BEST, REASONED responses in awhile!!!
I now have more of an understanding.

You are wrong on ONE count...

I shop at Suncoasts ALL over..and out of maybe 20 or so, this is only the second that I have had an issue with.

I tour, so I have no 'normal' Suncoasts...

Yes, I have one near home, and they know me, but ironically..I just don't shop there much!!!

By the same token, I was raving about Costco..and today, had the WORST experience there EVER...at TWO locations...

It's just not my week.
I accept that, and move on.

But, again..great response, and it sheds light on things I hadn't thought of.
Old 10-26-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a bad experience at Suncoast everytime I go in there and look at the prices.
Old 10-27-01, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I have a bad experience at Suncoast everytime I go in there and look at the prices.
That's the exact same thing I thought when I saw this thread.

If this is your first bad experience with Suncoast, you're luckier than about 99% of the population. Suncoast is my last choice when it comes to buying DVDs, mainly because of limited selection and ridiculously high prices. In fairness, though, Suncoast employees usually seem polite and offer to help you find a particular movie. However, I've never dealt with them for returns or exchanges; regardless, there's no excuse for shoddy customer service like you described.
Old 10-28-01, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, what boggles me is how they keep reminding me in EVERY store how they are part of Best Buy..but WILL NOT price-match!!!

LOL...

I haven't gotten ONE good response from that Q!

I guess I'm lucky...I have always had good Suncoast experiences. This one bad experience just blew my mind.

I'm just chalking it up to maybe the girl was having a bad day, or personalities didn't match...or maybe she was training a brand new employee and wanted to teach a firmer return policy.

I have had happy dealings with two other stores since(Both Suncoasts), and am VERY happy with them.

I just choose not to go back to THAT store until this 'manager' has moved up (Or down) the career ladder.
Old 10-28-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bobubott
mainly because of limited selection and ridiculously high prices. In fairness, though, Suncoast employees usually seem polite and offer to help you find a particular movie.
1) My impression of most of the Suncoast employees is that they generally DO know alot about movies. Why would someone work there if they weren't into movies? That is all the store is. Best Buy has all kinds of sections ... as do most other non-specialized stores.

2) I also don't think the Suncoasts I have been in have a limited selection (there number of titles have expanded so much since the early days). They seem to have some titles that BB doesn't have. However, I would say that BB usually caries a greater number of a title, keeps more in stock, so they are usually guaranteed to have a title you want ... while a Suncoast might be out of stock.

3) While they do have some "sale priced" DVDs ... new releases ... those sale prices are usualy still higher than say BB, or Walmat, CC, etc. I used to get LaserDiscs at Suncoast, but I don't get DVDs from them. I myself prefer BB, or even CC, or Planet Music. Boarder/Barnes&Noble stores have prices similar to Suncoast, so I stay away from them (although they do have a good selection of foreign/hard to find DVDs).

4) This week I saw the foreing film "With a Friend Like Harry" on DVD for $32. That price is about $3 OVER MSRP. However, it seems that I can't find this DVD at BB, or other stores. Oh well.

Weapon X I totally believe you, and understand what you were doing. I don't think you should have had a problem. Sorry to hear your story (although I also kind of found it funny). I didn't know Suncoast (Media Play stores, etc.) was part of Best Buy. Interesting.
Old 10-28-01, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts
Regarding the high prices at Suncoast.

It's probably because they're in shopping malls, and the rent in shopping malls is high.
Old 10-28-01, 10:30 PM
Banned

Re: Suncoast..FIRST BAD EXPERIENCE.....

Originally posted by Weapon X
I have over 100 return reciepts to show they DO give credit
Wow, you must really shop a lot, or have really bad luck. 100 returns for in-store credit! I thought "I" buy a lot of DVDs. I have about 500 DVDs in my collection right now. I buy about 4-6 per month. I have returned some for credit, maybe 10 times max. in my five year history of buying DVDs. But a 100? Wow!

If you walked into a store 100 times for credit, It might appear questionable even if it's legitimate. Most of my returns were at Media Play of which Suncoast is a sister store. They used to accept returns for credit easily, but the last time I tried to exchange a gift "without" a receipt, they denied it stating that I "must" have a receipt for movies and games. New policy by their manager.

I asked if that if their return policy was set by the corporate office. They told me that each individual manager sets their own policies for returns. My local Media Play manager decided to exclude games and movies from being allowed to be returned without a reciept. They certainly have the right to do that. In fact, most stores have similar policies.

Maybe the manager is new at the Suncoast store that you went to and decided to implement this new policy.

When I asked my Media Play manager why they excluded games and movies from being allowed to be returned without a receipt, he told me that it was because people have been buying games and DVDs off ebay and then coming in Media Play for full instore credit which could be used for any merchandise.

So people were buying cheap, unpopular items on ebay, and then trading them for new, popular merchandise. If I were the manager, I would also limit trades. Unfortunately, such a broad based policy penalizes the legitimate customer too.

Good luck,
Old 10-29-01, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lighttrinity-It IS funny..NOW....but bad at the time. You just move on...

Ric....

I have about 900 DVDs....
I am in a unique career thing, and people know I love movies, so I get a LOT of DVD's as gifts....

Also from family....

When I DO buy, I buy as many as 12 at a time...

Also, I DID exaggerate the receipt thing.more like 40 to 60.
Old 10-29-01, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huh? It cut me off,lol!!

Anyway, they have ALWAYS been polite about the returns, and yes, it seems store managers DO control the 'flow'....all I ask is a consistent return policy.

I have a new post about this called "The Costco Fiasco"...

I'm addicted, but burned out from dealing with CSR's, and shamefully, my soon to be wife..I just let HER deal with them.

The funny thing is, if you think about it, I agree..you think "100 returns!!!!..too many!", but women do this ALL THE TIME With clothes, etc.

They shop, get it home, and decide 'No.'

A lot ARE legit...it seems whoever handles discs these days is NOT handling them properly..if I get ONE MORE DVD with a broken spindle and a scratched disc, I'm gonna keel.

That is about 30% of my returns!!!!

Now...since stores are clamping down....I have figured out a way that satisfies both ME and the STORE.....and has eliminated my returns by 30-40%!!!

I buy the film..I pay for it, and then I tell the salesperson that I am opening it up right there to make sure it is okay..no missing disc, no broken spindle....

I have watched the SHOCKED faces of THREE managers as I opened new DVDs like The Mummy Returns and the disc fell right out with plastic following it!!!

I think these guys thought this 'excuse' was a lie!!

I also caught one MISSING disc...which I really would have been stuck with, cuz there is no way I'd have the ba**s to take back a DVD case and say it was empty. But...with the manager watching me and helping(It had the three 'Security Sticker' deal..he handed me his little box cutter...)...this one time SAVED ME $25!!!!!!

He was PISSED...and was on the phone to whoever distributes these things IMMEDIATLY.

So, now, when I purchase, I open IN FRONT OF A MANAGER OR EMPLOYEE...thus eliminating any possible returns due to scratch or case issues!!!

I mean, yes, I STILL have to reurn them, but since they SAW the whole thing(And it is preserved on video....), they do not have to argue or wonder about MY integrity.

I think this is a good situation for all!!!
Old 10-29-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot ARE legit...it seems whoever handles discs these days is NOT handling them properly..if I get ONE MORE DVD with a broken spindle and a scratched disc, I'm gonna keel.
That is about 30% of my returns!!!!
With the 1,400+ DVDs I own I know about opening a new disc and finding it loose, the spindle broken, and light scratches on the disc. I watch the disc, and if it plays fine, I don't worry about the hassel of a return. I admit that as a collector I hate scratches ... but I've learned to live with it (rather than deal with stupid customer service workers). As for the broken spindles ... I have lots of "free" (AOL, etc.) cases that I use to replace the broken holder. No cost to me. No big deal.

However, I DO like your idea of opening them in the store. Very good. Usually there are just 2 cashiers at a BestBuy store ... and a long line ... so I would hate to take extra time in front of a cashier opening up 4-5 DVDs just to check them. ................
Old 10-29-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in a unique career thing, and people know I love movies, so I get a LOT of DVD's as gifts....
Oh, would you care to expand on your unique career thing? I am working on a ph.d. so I can teach film classes on the collegiate level ... hence my collection size. Just curious what other possible careers are leading people to large DVD collections. (Are you a reviewer?)
Old 10-30-01, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Light-
Some thoughts...

At Best Buy, I do the opening at the "Non Busy" end of the CS Desk, and buy at Non-Peak hours.

I am NOT that much of a jerk, lol, and shop at Sam Goody, Sun Coast, Barnes and Noble, Borders...Wherehouses..many other places across the nation. These types of places USUALLY are okay with opening in front of them, and like I said, it cuts down on returns....

As for the packaging thing...
Why should AOL have to pay for a broken disc case by Warner?

I have a FEW backup AOL cases, but try to avoid grabbign them just to use as backups. I guess we all have our own personal moral things.

I tend to be VERY anal..ESPECIALLY if I, myself am buying the disc....and scratches just kill me. Yes, a LOT of my prior returns are just for minor scratches!!!

As for how I get so many discs, I am a musician, and make no secret for my love of DVD , I talk about them a LOT....so people just get them for me. Beats me.....I don't do drugs, so I guess people figured out the free drugs angle wasn't gonna work....
Guys like Neil Diamond get flowers, I get Star Wars...whatever!

I also have friends who have friends..and THEY get free discs.....I don't even own ONE review copy..would be nice to see what one looks like. Anyone know where a pic of one is???

So, figure on a tour, at a meet and greet, you meet 200 or so people...3-5 give you gift of a DVD. It really isn't that many out of 200...(But very nice and thoughtful), now do that between 28-50 times.....150-200 free DVDs.....

I DO get flowers and wierd s***, and MANY demo tapes....but DVDs are returnable.....

As for reviewing....I wouldn't know Edge Enhancement if it bit me in the a$$!!!
Old 10-30-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Light-
Some thoughts...
Oh ... I didn't mean to imply YOU were being a jerk holding up lines just to be "anal" about opening up DVDs before purchasing.

Hmmm, good point about the "immoral" use of AOL cases for other uses. I just get many AOL cases sent to me in the mail (junk mail being another subject) directly by AOL ... so why not use them for DVDs?

I think that's very cool that you get DVDs from you music fans. Thanks for explaining that. And I don't think it is wrong to trade them at a B&M store. Someone paid money for them, they are a gift to you, that's what store credit is for.

Old 10-30-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

P.S. - this wouldn't be you by any chance ?

http://www.hungrybands.com/fileselec/weaponx.html

would it?

Old 10-31-01, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LT-

I get AOL cases in the mail, too..and I DO use them!!!! I just see peopel at Circuit City and other stores buying DVDs and then a handful of AOL cases on the way out..and feel kinda bad for AOL.....

I pay for AOL, also, and if they send them, anyway.....

No, cool link, though....not me. My user name is just that I am a comic book fan. MY music would be metal. Yeah, they ARE gifts....but some people have voiced an opinion I return too much....but yes, HOPEFULLY people paid for these, and obviosuly intended for me to have something to enjoy, which is VERY cool, so I see no reason why they shouldn't be exchanged.

I even send PHYSICAL thank you notes, so it is truly treated AS a gift.

I'm a talker, so I spend time on these letters.....

As I have had a few bad experiences that have led me to this Store Forum, I have started coming up with ways to avoid returns..and am doing better...and int he case of gifts, have been deciding to DONATE some to charities.....thus, I avoid the hassle/stigma of a return, and do somethign GOOD....and reading another thread in DVDTalk gave me a ..what I think,anyway, realy GOOD idea....giving these DVDs to..local libraries!!!!

I just dropped off four today!
(Snow White, Star Wars, Godfather, 2001)

I have returned a bunch of these already, have three PERSONAL copies of each..so this was good, and it felt so right.

If anyone out there has a spare or old version of a film that they want to sell, try donating!!!!
I am ditching the OLD Almost Famous DVD for the 'new' one..and what better place to send it than to..the local library???

New ideas......

Now..the gift I REALLY need is a new keyboard...one with a built in spell-checker!!!