Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stupid Employees.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Stupid Employees.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Employies.

Today, I returned a defective Men in Black, Limited edition, to my local Best Buy. When the woman at the desk, who was quite a shocker, asked me what the problem was, I told her, " It is covered in scratches and pixalates often. She wanted proof of course, she proceeded to open the case. She then tried lifting the disk up by the edges, the disk did not budge, so she bagan banging the case in the counter, she then continued to try and lift the diskmout by the edges. I did not help her out because she is a Stinker and a generally crap employie. CRACK!! the disk snapped and pieces flew all over customers, I LMAO. She then said that I should have told her how to release the disk, and didi not give me a refund or new disk. I need advice, what do you fellow DVD Talkers think I should do?
Old 10-24-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the first thing you should do is ask a mod nicely to change the thread title before people point out the irony and make fun of you.

Secondly, I don't see how you could not get a replacement. Did you take it up with the manager? If that doesn't work, write a letter to the CEO...you'll get your replacement disc or at the very least a refund or store credit.
Old 10-24-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by LBPound23
Well the first thing you should do is ask a mod nicely to change the thread title before people point out the irony and make fun of you.
And then edit your post to change the words that are not spelled correctly and use some punctuation.

Also I have never had a problem returning anything to Best Buy as long as I had the receipt. I suggest you return to the store and talk to the manager on duty.
Old 10-24-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with LBPound23. You should take it to a manager, I don't see how he couldn't give you a refund, his employee broke the disc! You probably should have done so immediatly though.

Notice how I manfully resisted making fun of your title? It has to be one of the more ironically funny I've seen here in a while.

Last edited by Rand; 10-24-01 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe you just left without giving them sh*t. Grow a little back bone.
Old 10-24-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone else. I would've asked for her manager right then and there and demanded a replacement for the disc just on the grounds that she destroyed it.

Her lack of training on taking a DVD out is not your concern, you should not have had to tell her how to remove one.
Old 10-24-01, 06:04 PM

I used to work at Best Buy. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. There is no way you shoiuld have left without a replacement disk.

I've gotten away with murder as far as trading in dvds (not at the store I worked at but at the one near my university) I traded in my American Pie CE for the UE w/o a receipt and without a reason. I just said i had bout the CE by accident.

Anyways getting back to the point, customers can get anything they want at BB if they make a big enough stink about it. YOu got screwed.
Old 10-24-01, 08:01 PM

I work at BB you should get a replacement!
Old 10-24-01, 08:10 PM

Thanx

Thanks for the help, and for calling me a moron, but the woman who served me was nearly crying, I suppose I should have mentioned that in my first post, that is why I left whithout causing a fuss.
Old 10-24-01, 09:54 PM

Now you do look a little silly. Never get fooled by a womans tears.Don't you know thats her greatest weapon. By the way , was she good looking?
Old 10-25-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
woman who served me was nearly crying
Dude, you did nothing wrong. You need to stand up for yourself. If a woman you just met asked you for $20 and started crying when you said no, would you then change your mind?
Old 10-25-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Thanx

Originally posted by hellokittycatuk
woman who served me was nearly crying
You should have just said, it's not your fault, but I still want another disc.
Old 10-26-01, 12:05 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have the right to demand for a replacement on the ground that the store employee broke your stuff. Go back and show them who's the customer here!!!
Old 10-26-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gotta say, that's ridiculous. The store could still write off the disc as defective merchandise, so things were no worse from the store's point of view even after the disc was broken.
Old 10-28-01, 02:14 PM

Location: I live both above you and below you, but always beyond you.
You can't let emotional psychic vampires screw you over. If she wouldn't take responsibility for her actions (crying or not), then you should have gotten a supervisor that would agree to replace your disk.
Old 10-30-01, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This should be common sense, but it MAY be too late...once you leave the store....

It is NOT your job to teach THEM how to handle discs. I have had a similar situation a few times...

This is the following...

I have a game or DVD, and a receipt, maybe not.
I take it to "X" store.

It is UNOPENED....now with THREE security seals on most DVDs.

The employee then says she(usually) or he HAS to make sure the disc is in there for a cash refund due to people stealing discs/games adn then returning them for the cash...

I'm cool with that.

They OPEN it, and then they say they "Just need the superviser's approval"...

Wha???

Then, the kicker...the Sup comes over and says "No returns on DVDs or games"...most of the time, in all fairness , this is with NO RECEIPT.

I have gotten into many bad arguments over this....
If the policy is no returns on UNOPENED DVD or Game w/o a receipt, please tell me so.
That is cool.
I can take it elsewhere...

BUT....

My take is "You open it, you own it".
Just like YOUR situation..if YOU had broken the disc trying to remove it, you wouldn't get much sympathy from a manager!!!

If a store OPENS my gift DVD/game...they OWN it, as it is now useless.....and now I caution them when I see the cutters come out.

I ALSO have a "Return Policy"!!!
Old 10-30-01, 12:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weapon X. Did you get the sup/manager to budge and give you a refund/store credit since they opened the DVD/game?
Old 10-30-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Did you ask the employee "Why did you have to open the DVD if they had a "no return" policy on DVDs?" If so, what did he say? I'd like to here their BS excuse.
Old 10-31-01, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The employee was unaware of the policy.
The manager refused to budge.
I called the main office, got it returned.

No big deal...just amazingly 'stupid'.