Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Empire: First time customer hints?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering ordering from DVDempire for the first time and had a request for all you regular customers of their's.

Are there any first time customer coupons, deals, etc? Is there anything I should wait for like frequent free shipping days?

Thanks for the help. Amazon's prices seem to have gone up quite a bit in comparison lately, even after they dropped again at the end of the free shipping promo, so I'm considering alternatives (DVDempire and going to B&M on release dates being 2 of them).

-Gren

Last edited by Grenadier; 07-23-01 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-23-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont recall ever seeing any coupons for them.

They now give you media mail as a choice for shipping. I dont remember any free shipping days except for July 4, I think they gave you free media mail shipping on that date.

If you want free shipping and pretty low prices try DeepDiscountDvd.com, I'am still a little so so on this place and some dates have slipped for items on-order.
Old 07-23-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
No coupons from empire. But, they the best.

And, they are better than amazon when there are no coupons around from amazon, they ship and process faster, and, they have the better prices on their selection.

Amazon is okay, but, I find prices on preorder way better and cheaper.

Plus Media Mail makes it even more cheaper.

-Pestilence
Old 07-23-01, 08:48 PM

I would honestly skip DVDEmpire and go to http://www.DeepDiscountDVD.com which has some of the best prices I have ever seen, free shipping, great service, always ships your DVD's and promptly, and will match any lower price.

Trust me, they are the best.

They may not have coupons, but that is because they have the best prices and deals around.
Old 07-24-01, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by BillaRockStar

if you want a tip, i'd ignore this guy.
Why? Have you ever shopped at DeepDiscountDVD?

It was just my opinion.
Old 07-24-01, 11:31 AM

I have used DVD Empire and have been very pleased with their service. Usually it's titles that DDD didn't have or were out of stock. Both sites have excellent pricing as compared to most others with one being cheaper on some titles as compared to the other. The only complait I have with DDD is the DVD discription isn't very well done. Maybe that is how they save money.

saintsfan
Old 07-24-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How is DVDEmpire on pre-order? as fars as shipping time?
Old 07-24-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
How is DVDEmpire on pre-order? as fars as shipping time?
Same. Processing speed is fast. You're successful with their quality of service.
Old 07-24-01, 01:26 PM

I have my pre-orders for titles that I really want fast (Star Wars, Legend) at DVDEmpire.

Deep Discount DVD is great for popular titles (especially A&E titles), but many more obscure titles they seem to not even be aware of.

Amazon has excellent phone customer service, and a vast amount of information and opinions on titles, and do a good job of shipping pre-orders 98% of the time (my Akira Tin is arriving today by UPS according to tracking). And you can't beat the sophistication of their order system, where you can change payment method and apply GCs (such as the ones you get for using their NextCard) at any time before it ships.
Old 07-24-01, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

Deep Discount DVD

I don't get it. I have been to DDD (let's all be cool and abbreviate their stupid name) and they quite possibly have the worst DVD website on the net. There is a disgusting lack of any DVD information outside of a cheesy boxcover and synopsis. Amazon and dvdempire's website blow this second rate shop out of the water with DVD title specific information. It is pretty sad that consumers will buy DVDs from a dick ass store just because the words 'Deep Discount' are part of the companies name.

Maybe I will start an online dvd store and call it EvenDeeperDiscount DVDs.com, I am sure I will get a boat load of business.

There I finally got that off my chest, I love DVD talk.
Old 07-24-01, 10:19 PM

Re: Deep Discount DVD

Originally posted by majortom
I don't get it. I have been to DDD (let's all be cool and abbreviate their stupid name) and they quite possibly have the worst DVD website on the net. There is a disgusting lack of any DVD information outside of a cheesy boxcover and synopsis. Amazon and dvdempire's website blow this second rate shop out of the water with DVD title specific information. It is pretty sad that consumers will buy DVDs from a dick ass store just because the words 'Deep Discount' are part of the companies name.

Maybe I will start an online dvd store and call it EvenDeeperDiscount DVDs.com, I am sure I will get a boat load of business.
Sure, if it weren't for the 'Deep Discount' I definitely wouldn't buy from them.

I hope you feel better now...
Old 07-25-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally dont care what the website looks like if the prices and delivery times are decent-DDD certainly doesnt fall into this category but I surely wold not base my buying decision on how the website looks..thats just crazy talk
Old 07-26-01, 06:23 PM

If I recall correctly buy.com looked like crap when reel.com went under. However, the prices were great so people shopped there. Same can be said about DDD now.

DVDEmpire is great. Fast delivery is definitely a plus. And their prices are decent.

But if DDD gives another X-Files Season 3 type of deal then, guess who I am placing an order with?