Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart is just as cheap..

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Walmart is just as cheap..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's also yard apes running around knocking stuff over and screaming with their 500 pound mother waddles along doing nothing.
Old 06-16-01, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Best Buy smells like urine. Maybe it's just me.
Old 06-16-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wal-Mart, it is too far away. I do not want to sit in a car for an hour to smell urine, but that is just big city life I guess. Now, honestly Wal-Mart have had some good deals, but it does not beat Amazon.com with GC that gives free DVDs.
Old 06-16-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Triple S
My Best Buy smells like urine. Maybe it's just me.
i smell like urine, but i think it's just me
Old 06-16-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SAM'S CLUB has the cheapest dvd for a brick & mortar store!
Old 06-16-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My biggest beef with Wal-Mart is that they chose not to carry certain titles for no apparent reason. My local Wal-Mart has never carried key releases such as Almost Famous, Shadow of the Vampire, and most recently any of the newly released Kubrick titles. However, they seem to have unlimited copies of such gems as the Wishmaster/Wishmaster 2 set.....
Old 06-16-01, 11:20 AM

I saw the newly remastered Full Metal Jacket at my Wal-Mart last night for $19.99.

I agree that their selection pretty much sucks. I do, however, like the 14.95 section. I just picked up L.A. Confidential last night.
Old 06-16-01, 11:31 AM

My experience with Wal-Mart runs like this:

Try to park in a lot filled with shopping carts,

go through the entrance as someone exits and sets off the alarm,

clueless bitter person guarding the empty shopping cart racks,

search for what I'm looking for while somebody's kids are tearing around having a McD's Mac Attack ("MOM! MOM! MOM!"),

overhear another customer ask an employee where something is, employee says "we don't have any in-stock" and I'm staring right at it--"excuse me maam, it's right here. you're welcome",

get in the checkout/railroad line and hibernate (the sign should read "if there are more than three customers waiting, we'll open a new register--as soon as we hire another cashier"),

pass by the customer service return desk where a dozen or so folks are snaked around the corner waiting for the part-timer behind the counter to find a manager to fix his register,

hesitate as I exit the store cause I'm waiting for the alarm to go off again,

head for my car amidst the cart mine field,

turn on the ignition and swear I'll never be back...

This is just my regular experience. Your's may differ. I hope someone's does.

P.S. Thank the god's, they finally built a Target in town!!!

[Edited by cosmo on 06-16-01 at 09:35 AM]
Old 06-16-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

About the only reason would be that Best Buy isnt open at 3AM, Wal Mart is, and the couple we have dont smell like urine, just old people.
Old 06-16-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cosmo
This is just my regular experience. Your's may differ. I hope someone's does.
The only way mine differs is the aforementioned urine smell, but the rest is right on the mark.
Old 06-16-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the smell of urine in the morning.
I want to be married at my local Wal-Mart. They had CE3K for $22.94, compared to $16.99 at Wal-Mart, and the bastiches wouldn't take my word for it when I went to price check!
Old 06-16-01, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Violator
Hastings does, but since they are the only video rental store in town, they can charge high prices and get away with it.
WAIT... That can't be right... Are you saying you actually live in a town w/o a BlockBuster How can that be, that's like not have a McDonalds
Old 06-16-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
The only smell in my local Walmart is the persons of a certain nationality who don't bathe (I shan't elaborate). That said, I live in a Chicago suburb and the DVDs are all out on the shelf. Granted the selection isn't the best, but what they have they have good prices on. I never said they were the end all place for DVDs. But I got Stargate SG1 Vol2 for $10, and last nite, CTHD for 18.44. They've also got the Xfiles S3 for only $99, and I may pick that up soon. I certainly don't limit myself to them, I usually go to Best Buy or Borders, which has a big selection of Image titles and foreign stuff at decent prices. And don't rule out used, I've found many good deals at pawn shops and places like Electronics Boutique and Software Etc, like Xfiles S2 for $50.

Old 06-16-01, 01:31 PM

The Walmart where I live has a good (not great) selection of DVDs, but the prices are high and they don't put out new releases until Saturday most of the time. Also, they won't price match any retailer out of the city, which leaves me with only Fred Meyer to compete. Kmart has the highest prices in town and the smallest selection.

I don't know why some of you are complaining about the urine smell, my Walmart smells like feces.

-Matt
Old 06-16-01, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by nemein
Hastings does, but since they are the only video rental store in town, they can charge high prices and get away with it.
WAIT... That can't be right... Are you saying you actually live in a town w/o a BlockBuster How can that be, that's like not have a McDonalds
Yes. It's sad, but true.

As much as I dislike Blockbuster, I would almost welcome one with open arms. I mean, I thought Blockbuster was bad, but Hastings' new releases are $2.99 for 1 DAY! Granted I hardly rent movies, but there have been a select few that I would rather rent than buy.

Hastings needs some compitition, and Smiths grocery store isn't getting the job done.

Old 06-16-01, 02:04 PM

Speaking of good prices at Wal-Mart, when was the last time any of you have been there? I was there just this morning and picked up the Tomorrow Never Dies: Special Edition box for $6.96.

(Yes, you read that right, $6.96.)

I checked Amazon, and they still have it for 20 somthing.

Old 06-16-01, 02:09 PM

The Wal-Marts in my area are okay inside (no urine smell), although you hear the PA request for security all the time. Amazing. I just have to park far away because the clientele here doesn't seem to care about giving other cars door dings. There's clearly a different attitude than from the parking lots by Nordstroms or B&N.
Old 06-16-01, 02:24 PM

If Wal-Mart has the best deal on a dvd, than I will buy it there.....If they don't, than I won't....simple as that.
Old 06-16-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
actually, i feel cheapened if i manage to buy a DVD for too low a price. that's why i only shop at high-priced places like HMV. that way, i can feel real good and proud when i look at my expensive DVDs sitting on the shelf.

oh... and I don't smell urine or feces a WalMart... sometimes the odd taint of puke... that's all.
Old 06-16-01, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chumley1
Heh, you guys can keep getting screwed at Walmart (or worse, Tower... home of the MSRP). I'll be at the flea markets getting the best deals. It amazes me that people are so willing to pay extra at the big chain B&Ms. Oh well, that just leaves more bargains for me!

Hmm, think I'll pick up Requiem for a Dream and O Brother Where Art Thou for $13 each tomorrow. And maybe Cast Away for $15. Maybe I'll get lucky and score another $10 Criterion.
Oops, correction: Cast Away was $13 at the flea market today. Didn't get it though, figured I'd rather just rent it.

And sadly, no one had O Brother yet. That's the worst part about shopping at flea markets -- sometimes certain new releases don't show up for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-16-01, 04:43 PM

Speaking of good prices at Wal-Mart, when was the last time any of you have been there? I was there just this morning and picked up the Tomorrow Never Dies: Special Edition box for $6.96.

Is that TND SE box set the DVD one? If DVD version, does it have the steel looking case for the DVD like pictured on Amazon.com web site:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/07...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

If so, then that's one H3LL of a deal!
Old 06-16-01, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood

Is that TND SE box set the DVD one? If DVD version, does it have the steel looking case for the DVD like pictured on Amazon.com web site:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/07...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

If so, then that's one H3LL of a deal!
That's the one.
Old 06-16-01, 07:42 PM

Nope... It is NOT the DVD version!!! The pic of the DVD I posted from Amazon.com is NOT what's in the box that you saw/bought @ Wal-Mart!!!! !!!

Just went by and bought one based upon your (Violators) reply post. Box does NOT say anywhere that it's DVD or VHS. Very confusing as it's the same size (dimensions) as a DVD box, except it's deeper. It has two VHS tapes, a book, etc.

I bought one, opened it & NO DICE!! It's VHS... YECK!

Vio.. you should take yours back if you really wanted the DVD version! I wish I could take mine back for some $$$!

Old 06-16-01, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Nope... It is NOT the DVD version!!! The pic of the DVD I posted from Amazon.com is NOT what's in the box that you saw/bought @ Wal-Mart!!!! !!!

Just went by and bought one based upon your (Violators) reply post. Box does NOT say anywhere that it's DVD or VHS. Very confusing as it's the same size (dimensions) as a DVD box, except it's deeper. It has two VHS tapes, a book, etc.

I bought one, opened it & NO DICE!! It's VHS... YECK!

Vio.. you should take yours back if you really wanted the DVD version! I wish I could take mine back for some $$$!

Ugh...Thanks for posting this. I was about to open mine. I asked the women that worked there, before I bought it, and she said it was the DVD.

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-16-01, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THEY JUST BUILT A NEW WAL-MART in Michigan, the they're entertainment section is huge. They have a wonderful dvd selection. One long full row, plus a row with newly released dvds. They have the cheapest prices, best selection for brick and mortar store that sell other items. I love my wall mart. Crowded, but clean.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.