Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does anybody shop at buy.com or amazon anymore??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Does anybody shop at buy.com or amazon anymore??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-01, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't bought anything from buy.com for 6 monthes. (Especially since they changed their postage and made their coupons useless to me). Yesterday's buy of the day was CTHD for 16.99 and only 5.05 p&h. WHAT A SCAM!!

and only one thing from amazon in the past 6 monthes.

Seems a lot cheaper just to buy the stuff at B&M's now. Their prices always seem to be better than online.

About the only thing I've bought from an online store in the past 6 months is from DeepDiscountDVD ... cheap prices ... good customer service ... but sloooowwww shipping ... but with over 500 DVD's, I can afford to wait a bit.
Old 06-11-01, 03:31 AM

I made my first online purchase at Buy.com and have not made one since. I still have $10 gc in my account there so will have to try it out sooner or later - really hate the prospect of shopping at a place with only email for customer service. As for Amazon, believe it or not, I pretty much make most of my purchases there. Although there prices have increased quite a bit, I still have lots of stackable gcs for them (about $115 left ). In fact, the most I have paid for a DVD in the past 4 or 5 months was the other day when I picked up Hidden Fortress CC for $.44. When I run out of the gcs though (probably as soon as Godfather is up for pre-order), I will most definitely have to turn elsewhere. I have also managed to accumulate quite a bit of funds in my Webcert account (MyPoints/Freeride) to be used when the dreaded day comes when I have run out of gcs so although those funds could be used elsewhere, I still sort of consider them "free".

Speaking of Amazon, I have yet to really face any of the horror stories that others seem to have with them. Everything has gone surprisingly smooth for me (knocks on wood) up to this point. I think they have the best customer service around.

Tower and bn.com as well are alright if you have some Flooz laying around....

[Edited by AmonTwin on 06-11-01 at 01:37 AM]
Old 06-11-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also shop at Amazon regularly. Usually using one of their promo coupons stacked with a normal GC. I'm thinking of signing up with the Amazon NextCard so I can start earning GCs..

As for buy.com, yeah, they've gone down hill. Their stock is down under $.25 a share, they pulled their good coupons and left us with stinky 10% off codes which basically just give you free shipping once you spend $100+. And their shipping rates suck. Oh well. that's what happens when they decide they want to focus on selling the more expensive items like PCs, TVs, and other large ticket items.
Old 06-11-01, 01:48 PM

I haven't bought anything from buy.com since the coupons stopped.

However, I use the Amazon NextCard which gives you back 2% in the form of Amazon GCs which can be stacked, and can be combines with an Amazon Promo coupon.

I tend to buy popular titles at DeepDiscountDVD who have free shipping and no tax. But they have a limited selection, so I get more obscure titles from Amazon using the GCs.

The nearest B&M that sells DVDs is Walmart, which is a 45 minute drive each way.
Old 06-11-01, 01:59 PM

I buy from Amazon all of the time.
Freeride GCS
ECHO GCS
NEXTCARD GCS
Old 06-14-01, 12:04 AM

I haven't been a regular Buy.com customer since last fall.

Just like baseball: First strike--they started charging sales tax (in Indiana) and included shipping in the tax computation.

Second strike--they raised their prices big time. When I ordered I would routinely get 30-40% off. Now you're lucky if it's 25% off.

Third strike--lack of customer service phone line.

I now routinely buy at stores. Most recent example: Buy was selling CAST AWAY for 22.99 plus $1.95 shipping, plus another $1.25 for tax for a grand total of $26.19. Now compare that to stores that were selling CAST AWAY for $17.99 plus tax for a total of $18.89, a savings of $7.30 on just one title!

So what would be the advantage of buying at Buy.com now?

[Edited by dvdirv on 06-14-01 at 07:21 AM]
Old 06-14-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon - yes.
Old 06-14-01, 02:33 AM

I do order almost all of my DVD`s from Amazon.com . Great Customer Service and the prices aren`t too bad. And recently they started to ship things early and i already have shipping confirmations for Save the Last Dance; Apartment;Barefoot Contessa ; Written on the Wind ..etc! Way to go Amazon!!
Old 06-14-01, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I order in-stock items from DeepDiscount, some items from Tower (if there's a coupon available) and from Amazom.
On Monday June 11 I ordered CTHD, The Fugitve (SE) and Cast Away from Amazon, using a $10.00 coupon for a total of less than $55. Received them on June 13! Can't ask for faster service than that!!!