Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BestBuy B&M Return Policy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BestBuy B&M Return Policy

Old 04-25-01, 09:36 AM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much to my surprise I tried to return a dvd that I had received as a gift (I had already purchased it),didn't have a receipt or anything but it was unopened and BestBuy wouldn't take it back as an exchange! Damn!

I've taken dvds back a few times under the same circumstance and they never even hesitated about exchanging them!

The clerk said if they had that was a mistake.

I'm going to check their site later for the policy but has anyone else had a problem or tried to return merchandise?
Old 04-25-01, 05:14 PM

Best Buy is known for two things, cheap DVD/CD'S and electronics, and being extremely anal. I know they have a really tough return policy, I'm sure you are required to have a receipht.
Old 04-25-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they have such strict policies because people are always trying to scam them. I don't blame them for this policy, I think it makes perfect business sense.

As for your DVD, you should ask the person who gave it to you if they still have the receipt as you have already bought the movie and would like a different one, or ebay it, exchange it (hit the "swap DVDs" button at the top of the page), or give it away as a gift to somebody else.
Old 04-25-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Heat 1
Maybe they have such strict policies because people are always trying to scam them. I don't blame them for this policy, I think it makes perfect business sense.
Whatever keeps the prices low and the selection deep, I can live with their return/exchange policy.
Old 04-26-01, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't disagree more....

I am having a LOT of problems with this...

First, very few people I know save receipts..second, I'm no gonna call my Aunt in Florida when I live in L.A., and ask her to find and send the receipt..

Another issue is if it was a gift, maybe I DON'T WANT THE OTHER PERSON TO KNOW I am exchanging it!!!

If the item is unopned, in perfect factory condition, than the stores should aplly the SAME policy as to any other product...if they carry it, exchange it!

This started with people exchanging OPEN DVDs, and that I could understand....but not an unopened one.

I have had this issue with Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target....(They will get anew thread...), and MY policy is if they are not going to let me exchange w/o a receipt on an unopened item(They all have a limit ,usually, of 4 per year, anyway...), than I will shop where I can pitch my receipt and not sweat, like B&N and Costco, who even gives cash back on OPENED DVDs...hence, I buy all of my DVDs at Costco, because they once took back 3 DVDs,all opened, even though I admitted I watched them...

The Customer Service is outstanding, and I have not returned a thing sine, but have bought everything I need that they carry there...

Customer Service determines where my $$$ goes...

Also, Suncoast accepts returns on unopened items with no problem, and so does Tower...are they more expensive?
Yes...

But I will continue to shop there.
I feel 'Insured'.

Like I said, I feel very strongly about this...
I don't care about the extra $3 off, best Buy and Traget will NOT be getting my money..so if that is the policy they want to maintain, so be it...

But , facts are facts....an unopened DVD being taken back and exchanged is no more of a "Scam"(Especially the ones with triple security seals!!) than exchanging a keyboard or many of the other items they carry.

Old 04-26-01, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I couldn't disagree more....

Originally posted by Weapon X
Also, Suncoast accepts returns on unopened items with no problem, and so does Tower...are they more expensive?
Yes...
I had Tower refuse to let me return an unopened DVD within their 14-day period with a receipt because I didn't have my ID on me and they said they needed my Driver's License Number.

The scam-artists (even if you don't personally think they're scamming) are hurting the honest consumers - what a surprise! Have you ever returned an unopened item you bought on-line to a B&M? Just because you think a store should let people f*ck with its inventory doesn't make it so. If you don't like it, feel free to shop elsewhere.

Me, I save receipts. And I've exchanged unopened DVD's that were gifts or that I bought elsewhere to stores before. But I don't piss and moan when places don't like it. When they do it, they are offering you a service. A service that they are not obligated to provide. And when some people find out that these stores have liberal policies they swap their names here in DVDtalk with the goal of screwing them over.

Whatever. I feel that whenever you have to lie or withhold the truth when you're returning an item, then you're pulling a scam. Not matter how badly you want to get away with it.
Old 04-26-01, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought best buy only let you return without a receipt twice a year. maybe it is three times. i know it is no higher than that.
Old 04-26-01, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need a new keyboard...

Lesson:Watch the soda....

Peep...I said in my post I DID "Go elsewhere"!

Regarding Tower, if they were going to do it, c'mon, asking for ID is fair...the odd thing is, asking for an I.D. for a return is VERY odd when you actually HAVE a receipt, and it is unopened.

There SHOULD be limit to returns w/o a receipt.

OTOH, what 'Scams'..buying online and exchanging? Big deal. What if I buy a DVD player online? I can walk right into Best Buy and swap it out....

Or Sears...or any other place. It seems DVD is being singled out when it comes to returns.

The fact is, simply, that if a store wants to be SO anal, they will NOT be getting my business.

To top it off, at least Best Buy is open about DVD Return Discrimination...

Target ha told me on five occasions they do not allow exchanges on DVDs due to "Copyright Law".

As a Law Student, I am VERY curious as to which law this is.

I will NOT purchase anything from BB or Target....

As for 'Scammers'...hey, if you are that type and can live with it, have a blast.

I would STIL like to know WHAT 'Scams' they are so afraid of?

People ordering online and exchanging unopened? Big deal.

If that is the root of all evil, these people need a reality check.
Old 04-26-01, 11:05 AM

Best buy has terrible customer service, and they are anal to say the least.
Old 04-26-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Weapon X
...I would STIL like to know WHAT 'Scams' they are so afraid of?

People ordering online and exchanging unopened? Big deal.

If that is the root of all evil, these people need a reality check.
I assume that this is one of the scams:

If you follow the Columbia house thread, you can get $30 DVDs for roughly $10 (after shipping, handling, etc). So you have multiple copies of whatever DVD, you take them into regular stores and exchange them for movies you actually want (and getting $25 or $30 worth of store credit for something you paid $10 for).

It makes sense for stores to prohibit DVD returns without receipts.
Old 04-26-01, 01:31 PM

I agree with most of the other posts--the key word is "anal."

A few years ago I bought a second copy of a CD since I lost the first one. After I finally found it a few months later, I tried to return it to Best Buy in order to exchange it for another title they asked for a receipt since that was the only way they could exchange it.

When that didn't work I told them the CD (still unopened with the Best Buy sticker on it) was a gift. They had the nerve to tell me to go back to the person who gave it to me in order to get the receipt.

I think Best Buy is living in fantasy land if they think all their customers retain their receipts forever.
Old 04-26-01, 02:42 PM

Lesson to Be Learned!

Hold on to all of your receipts!

Why?

If all of the above examples are not enough, I have had charges come through as more than what I signed for (mostly at restaurants) and if you do not have your receipts you are out of luck. You should hold on to all of your receipts for at least 6 months, to make sure they are processed correctly. If you don't, then it is your loss.

Also, encourage your friends to ask for gift receipts when they buy presents, most stores gladly do that.

Why do you think Best Buy gives us one of those stupid return policy things everytime we buy something there? Quess what they are serious about their return policy.

If you have returned things without a receipt before, they probably have a red flag by your name, phone number, address, or Credit Card Number. There are people who make a living by doing scams like this.

Remember, when the manager has to do his yearly inventory and he has 50 DVD's in his store that are not on his purchase inventory, these are not counted as credit toward his inventory, but they are a negative, because according to his paper inventroy, he should not have them. For example: He orders 50 copies of thhe Glory SE DVD and he sells 8. Well, some well meaning scammer go out and buy them from CH and return them to his store. He now has 10 more copies of Glory SE DVD which equals 52 copies. Managers lose their jobs over things like that.

If any of you ever owned a business or worked for a small business, you would know that little things like that are the difference between staying afloat and closing your doors.
Old 04-27-01, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DUH!!!

When you order CD's from CH they are identical..save for no UPC, but a 5 digit numerical code.

Why not do this with DVDs?

Then, there would not be an issue.

Look, I can take 80% of a store's inventory back with NO receipt and they don't blink...

"Gift" is a valid reason.

In the end, if you are good with receipts, bravo..if not, my advice is this...I shop at CC a LOT..and while they take your name on bigger purchases, they generally DO NOT for a DVD or two..I always ASK them to!

Then, my purchase is in the computer!

Another suggestion is shop at places like Suncoast or Costco, that are a bit more forgiving.

Pick your spot.

Old 04-27-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, have you tried returning an unopened DVD to Circuit City that you didn't buy from them? Good luck! It's very doubtful they'll accept the DVD for exchange if it's not in their system that you bought the DVD from them.

I knew it was a matter of time before all these retailers required receipts for returns. That's the most fair thing for all involved.
Old 05-01-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts
I can understand why BB does it -- the easiest scam of all is to just walk to dvd aisle, grab one, and walk it up to the desk to "return" it. It costs the stores money and would make prices rise.

Old 05-31-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had some older videos purchased 1 to 3 years ago that I was going to sell at a garage sale but decided to try to return them to Best Buy since that is where I bought all 4. No receipt and BestBuy price tag on just 2 of them but all were sealed.

Hellraiser/HR II box paid 19.99 got 12.99(no tag)
White Fang paid 6.99 got 8.99(no tag)
Everest 2pk paid 12.99 got 12.99(tag read 12.99)
Snake Eyes paid 6.99 got 12.99(tag read 9.99 )

Came out about a buck ahead and now have a gift card/"store credit" card for $51.08. I'm very pleased with the service. I just think if people don't abuse them they'll continue to accept returns.
Old 05-31-01, 12:59 AM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Take them back just after Christmas when they are more liberal with their returns policy. I had an antenna I couldn't get back to them within 30 days because I got sick. Six months later, after Christmas, no more antenna!
Old 05-31-01, 01:22 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: I couldn't disagree more....

Originally posted by Peep
I had Tower refuse to let me return an unopened DVD within their 14-day period with a receipt because I didn't have my ID on me and they said they needed my Driver's License Number.
The other day I was browsing DVDs in Tower Records and saw their return policy sign that says you can return unopened CDs/DVDs with a receipt within 14 days for exchange or another selection. No mention of refund! The only refund that was mentioned was at their website when you return your online purchase to the store. Btw, the in-store policy states the ID may be required.

I ended up not buying anything in case I found it cheaper elsewhere and couldn't return it for a refund!

Were you trying to return for a refund that they wanted your ID?
Old 05-31-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only had one defective DVD purchased at Best Buy: Big Trouble In Little China. Since it was opened, I wanted an exchange. When I grabbed the replacement copy, they took off the shrink wrap and security tape before I could take the new copy home. The problem: Bad pressing left a "bubble" between the first and second layers.