Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - PART 4

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 01:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Continued from Part #3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=514920
Old 12-10-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is an interesting story, from many perspectives...

Pali: Sony (SNE)'s Blu-Ray Wins DVD War; Hollywood Loses

Pali Research's Rich Greenfield has good news for beleaguered Sony (SNE) boss Howard Stringer: His company's Blu-Ray format will win the next-gen DVD format war. The bad news for Hollywood: The existing DVD business is in permanent decline, and the next-gen format won't help anytime soon -- if ever.

Rich predicts (reg. required) that the costly format war between Sony and Toshiba/Microsoft (MSFT) will end in 2008, when Time Warner's (TWX) movie studios stop supporting the HD-DVD format, forcing NBC 's (GE) and Viacom's (VIAB) studios to fall in line. But Hollywood was counting on this format war getting resolved years ago so it could replace slowing conventional DVD sales.

Now, Rich says:

Even with a single next-gen format by mid-2008, we still believe consumer spending on DVD sales will be down about 3% in 2008 compared to 1% in 2007...With the DVD “halo” gone and digital distribution still in its infancy, studios need to make profitable movies; catalog will no longer save them (particularly, as we suspect most consumers will not be re-buying their existing catalog in next-gen DVD, soon-to-be-known, simply as Blu-ray.
and from the report itself - registration required
Time Warner’s New Line and Warner Bros. are the only studios still releasing in both next-gen DVD formats. The downturn in catalog DVD sales is having a particularly negative impact on Warner Bros., given its heavy reliance on catalog DVD sales. The weakness in catalog DVD sales combined with the cost of authoring DVDs in both formats is essentially forcing Warner to give up on HD DVD to speed the uptake of next-gen DVD (Blu-ray) in 2008. In addition, we suspect, Warner’s decision to embrace Video-on-Demand, day and date with DVD (to help its sister company Time Warner Cable) is putting increased pressure on new release DVD sales. Time Warner’s choices (we suspect the later option will be selected soon):

* If Warner Bros. and New Line continue to release in both next-gen formats or choose HD DVD exclusively, the format war is unlikely to end in 2008 (when Paramount and Dreamworks would have the opportunity to swing back to the Blu-ray camp).

* If Warner Bros. and New Line shift exclusively to Blu-ray in early 2008, we expect the format war to end rapidly as Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks will not have enough titles to sustain HD DVD for much longer.

Even with a single next-gen format by mid-2008 (we believe a Warner Blu-ray shift will kill off HD DVD within 6-9 months), we still believe consumer spending on DVD sales will be down about 3% in 2008 compared to 1% in 2007 (e-mail us if you want a copy of our DVD spending model). A single next-gen format should drive increased consumer interest in next-gen DVD and help the DVD business maintain floor space at mass merchant retailers (such as Wal-Mart, Target, etc…) in 2008/2009.
it's worth noting that this is the investment/analyst company who broke the story of paramount going hd dvd exclusive a day before that was announced. in that case it seemed to be a case of inside information. it's not clear if they have similar information this time, though i suspect it is more likely a case of analysing the market.
Old 12-10-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru

it's worth noting that this is the investment/analyst company who broke the story of paramount going hd dvd exclusive a day before that was announced. in that case it seemed to be a case of inside information. it's not clear if they have similar information this time, though i suspect it is more likely a case of analysing the market.
Wow! I was skeptical at first with the Lionsgate VP saying it since he would be biased in his opinion but to hear this from the research firm that broke the Paramount story lends a ton of credibility. The only thing is why would this story break out on the eve of the WB's biggest title on HDM yet?
Old 12-10-07, 04:19 PM
Suspended

Keep in mind, its his prediction, not a fact. No one knows what side WB chooses until they choose a side, which I assume will be a last hour decision (if they make an announcement at CES). Its not like Blu-ray is selling 5x the stand alone and 5x the discs to make the decision easy. Both camps have positives and negatives and will until CES. I imagine WB will look at both software and hardware sales and make a choice based on those facts. Harry Potter will play a big part in this decision IMO. Blu-ray has a 2:1 software lead and a 3:1 player lead (with PS3s counted). I'm really interested to see a number breakdown next Friday.

IIRC, The Paramount news was never really broken early. I think we all knew only hours before the Press Release came out. I was on AVS/DVDTalk most of the night, and didn't hear squat till the early morning. Many Blu-ray insiders (not naming names, but if you have been to AVS you know who they are) were still saying it was false up until the article went up around 10am on Monday August 20th.

Edit:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=509626

Here is our thread regarding it. Was started in the early morning (7:30am) and many people still didn't believe it until several articles came out later that day. We didn't know for sure until 12:18pm. I never saw/read the article where the guy above knew this was happening on the 19th.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12-10-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Wow! I was skeptical at first with the Lionsgate VP saying it since he would be biased in his opinion but to hear this from the research firm that broke the Paramount story lends a ton of credibility. The only thing is why would this story break out on the eve of the WB's biggest title on HDM yet?

FUD? Maybe they're trying to discourage sales of the HD DVD in order to artificially boost the BD numbers.
Old 12-10-07, 04:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by applesandrice
FUD? Maybe they're trying to discourage sales of the HD DVD in order to artificially boost the BD numbers.
Thats exactly what Ive said. If Paramount said the same thing about WB going HD DVD exclusive, would that be pushed off as FUD or Fact?
Old 12-10-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I never saw/read the article where the guy above knew this was happening on the 19th.
Nikki Finkle's Deadline Hollywood Daily

it's a very biased editorial, though the information contained regarding Pali Research managing director Richard S. Greenfield's memo is quoted, so is free from site bias -

"Based on conversations with multiple sources, we believe that Paramount is set to make the vast majority of its catalog available exclusively in the HD-DVD format (unclear whether that includes titles from its sister studio DreamWorks)."
that Pali received inside information regarding the earlier exclusivity agreement doesn't necessarily mean they are similarly placed this time. it does, however, lend a degree of credibility to the story. particularly when combined with the words of the vice-chairman of Lionsgate. these are not lowly placed individuals who can afford to say whatever they wish without repercusions. in the case of an analyst wrong predictions impact negatively on the bottom line, sometimes very harshly.
Old 12-10-07, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Nikki Finkle's Deadline Hollywood Daily

it's a very biased editorial, though the information contained regarding Pali Research managing director Richard S. Greenfield's memo is quoted, so is free from site bias -

that Pali received inside information regarding the earlier exclusivity agreement doesn't necessarily mean they are similarly placed this time. it does, however, lend a degree of credibility to the story. particularly when combined with the words of the vice-chairman of Lionsgate. these are not lowly placed individuals who can afford to say whatever they wish without repercusions. in the case of an analyst wrong predictions impact negatively on the bottom line, sometimes very harshly.
The same reprcusions the Sony CEO got when he called the format war a "stalemate" a few weeks ago, or announcing Blu-ray has won several times over? Or Spider-Man 3 numbers? I don't think anyone who has been in the HDM war since the start considers any of the PR stuff to hold much truth. Wasn't it just weeks ago the BDA was making fun of Nikki from HollywoodDeadLine when she announced the Transformers HD DVD numbers? Now she is a trusted source? Color me confused.

If WB goes Blu, so be it. If they go Red, so be it. This "war" will be going on for a long, long time.
Old 12-10-07, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Getting back on track...

Apparently the new LG 2000 is in stores now (for sale, not counting the demo unit Best Buy has had for a month now). Anyone planning on buying it? Its $999 ($200 more then the Samsung set to street in a week) and no free movies of any kind, from either camp. I don't think its known if its 1.1/2.0 compliant, but it is HD DVD compliant this time around.
Old 12-10-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If WB goes Blu, so be it. If they go Red, so be it. This "war" will be going on for a long, long time.
I disagree. If WB chose Blu-ray only, that would give the format 70% of the market. As mentioned in the article linked, Universal and Paramount could not maintain supporting HD DVD long term. They don't have enough day & date titles.
Old 12-10-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The same reprcusions the Sony CEO got when he called the format war a "stalemate" a few weeks ago, or announcing Blu-ray has won several times over? Or Spider-Man 3 numbers?
of course there were reprecusions to those statements, and credibility was lost or gained in a variety of directions. fun with numbers (statistics) is an old game and one practiced by all involved in business. deliberately misleading investors/consumers about the future plans of your rivals is a different kettle of fish.

Wasn't it just weeks ago the BDA was making fun of Nikki from HollywoodDeadLine when she announced the Transformers HD DVD numbers? Now she is a trusted source? Color me confused.
this is a classic example of attacking the messanger instead of examining the information. as i've already stated the memo itself is not editorialized and is therefore not subject to any bias inherent in the site.
Old 12-10-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thats exactly what Ive said. If Paramount said the same thing about WB going HD DVD exclusive, would that be pushed off as FUD or Fact?
But we are talking about a non biased firm reporting this. I'm not going by the Lionsgate VP either.
Old 12-10-07, 05:24 PM
Suspended

But we are talking about a non biased firm reporting this. I'm not going by the Lionsgate VP either.
Again, its that anylsts opinion, not a fact. No one knows what Warner is going to do besides Warner. No one will know until hours, maybe a day before they announce it. Anything else is speculation.

We can go back and fourth on this if you want, but my opinion will not change on this matter. Until its done, its all rumors and wishful dreams by the Blu camp. Warner should have chosen a side in the summer rather then waiting till after the Holiday season, when many people are going to be choosing a side. How happy will the people be who bought Harry Potter on the format that is no longer being supporter 3 weeks after its release? Paramount had very few films out (and very few announced) when they went Red. I can only imagine the amount of players being returned if Warner chooses a side at CES, which is only a few weeks after Christmas, and within return policy of many stores. You think the Blu side was pissed when Paramount went exclusive with there lackluster catalog, imagine what will happen if Warner does. They are going to piss off a lot of people

Luckily, I'm set either way and will continue to support either side until new releases stop. I love my XA1/A3 and I'm looking forward to buying a Blu-ray SA eventually (or Combo). If WB choosed Blu, and Universal goes Neutral, I'd still buy them in red until the day they stop.
Old 12-10-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regardless of what happens, we can all agree that Harry Potter sales are going to play a huge role in what Warner decides to do.
Old 12-10-07, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Regardless of what happens, we can all agree that Harry Potter sales are going to play a huge role in what Warner decides to do.
Oh yes. However, again, I believe they will take into account the fact that Blu-ray has a 3:1 hardware lead over HD DVD. If I was a guessing man...I'd say all combined (single versions and boxset) that it will be 1.7Blu :1 HD . I'm also gonna toss in that Warner will be watching to see how many people use the online functions present in the HD DVD version.

Everything is pretty equal right now on Amazon ranking lists.
Old 12-10-07, 06:26 PM

Not if WB goes Blu, it won't.
Old 12-10-07, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Why did GizmoDVD start this thread when he hates blu-ray with a passion and has said he will buy any dual format release on HD DVD till the day they stop making them? Why cant he just bugger off? He is in NO WAY neutral. He is still here, in the BLU RAY thread, downplaying news of BLU RAY items from various sources.
Old 12-10-07, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Why did GizmoDVD start this thread when he hates blu-ray with a passion and has said he will buy any dual format release on HD DVD till the day they stop making them? Why cant he just bugger off? He is in NO WAY neutral. He is still here, in the BLU RAY thread, downplaying news of BLU RAY items from various sources.
Because no else had started it. Close this down and start another then if you feel so passionate about it. I am commenting on speculation, not news. Don't confuse the two.
Old 12-10-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
And why are you always posting comments about what other people say? I've never seen you post something constructive. If you don't like where the conversation is going, then try to offer something up yourself and direct the conversation elsewhere.
Old 12-10-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why do you keep following him around from thread to thread and haranguing him? He has both Blu and HD DVD.

Oh wait did you read Bill Hunt's FUD yesterday?
By the way... for those of you thinking maybe it makes sense to buy BOTH Blu-ray and HD-DVD to cover your bases, it would frankly be smarter just to buy neither. I know it's tempting for enthusiasts to buy both, but keep this in mind: Supporting both is only going to continue prolonging this format war, when what we all really need is for this thing to end as soon as possible.
Old 12-10-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If WB choosed Blu, and Universal goes Neutral, I'd still buy them in red until the day they stop.
Can I ask why?

It's one thing to buy your preferred format in absence of any knowledge about the length of a studio's format support, but if you knew for certain WB was going Blu exclusive and Uni as going neutral, why would you buy those titles in HD DVD?

Unless their was a cost advantage and/or exclusive feature (IME, U-Control), I can't understand that reasoning.
Old 12-10-07, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Can I ask why?

It's one thing to buy your preferred format in absence of any knowledge about the length of a studio's format support, but if you knew for certain WB was going Blu exclusive and Uni as going neutral, why would you buy those titles in HD DVD?

Unless their was a cost advantage and/or exclusive feature (IME, U-Control), I can't understand that reasoning.
I prefer my XA1/A3 over the PS3. I prefer the IME/U-Control, and the fact that I don't have to worry about if my disc will work or not or if I need another firmware update that has yet to come out to play my new releases.

QuePaso, Here is my collection as it stands today (with 6 Blu-ray movies in transit from Amazon). Not sure how I am not Neutral.
Old 12-10-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I prefer my XA1/A3 over the PS3. I prefer the IME/U-Control, and the fact that I don't have to worry about if my disc will work or not or if I need another firmware update that has yet to come out to play my new releases.

QuePaso, Here is my collection as it stands today (with 6 Blu-ray movies in transit from Amazon). Not sure how I am not Neutral.
That's understandable.

Personally, I prefer my BDP-S1 over my A20 (gasp!), and I've had more issues with my A20 that needed remedying via firmware than my BDP-S1. (My PS3 is a recent acquisition).
Old 12-10-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what did you think about "I know who killed me"? It is on my NetFlix list.

Also, I see you are segregating your titles and putting them at the bottom of your rack where no one can see them. How rude! (Just kidding)

I organize my movies by genre, regardless of Blu Ray or HD DVD. What does everyone else do? Just curious.
Old 12-10-07, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's understandable.

Personally, I prefer my BDP-S1 over my A20 (gasp!), and I've had more issues with my A20 that needed remedying via firmware than my BDP-S1. (My PS3 is a recent acquisition).
I don't have either play so I can't comment on them. All I know is Ive had an A1, XA1, A2, A3 (2), 360 AO (2) and have never had any issues. I have had an issue with disc rot on a Blu-ray movie (Prestige), and certain Fox titles taking a while to load. I have yet to load POTC:AWE so I don't know if its going to have issue like others are reporting on AVS. I'd love to nab a BDP-1 at at a $200 price...love that motorized door of my XA1.

I will always slant red, no matter how the format war goes down. But that does not mean I hate Blu-ray as I have bought way to many discs in the past few months (and sold them after watching most of them thanks to the BOGO). My current collection on Blu-ray is "set" (as to whats release as of today) with the exception of Bad Santa, while on HD DVD, I could easily buy 20-25 more titles if they had a BOGO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.