Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Hives

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hives

The Black and White Album

I, for one, am totally psyched for the new CD.
Anyone else?

What I've heard, I love.
Old 11-14-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shit ive had this cd for over a month. its OK. nowhere near as good as the others.
Old 11-14-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think, with the exception of the awful T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S., it's a damned good album, maybe their best.
Old 11-14-07, 10:45 AM

7.99 on itunes. Love the other albums.
Old 11-14-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's their best record. I love almost every song on it. Anyone who was a fan of their earlier records will like this one IMO...way better than the last record!
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 PM

Best Buy has it for 7.99 w/ an exclusive bonus track ("Hell No")
Great album. I'm surprised a lot of the music blogs were so down on it.
Old 11-15-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fallfan
Best Buy has it for 7.99 w/ an exclusive bonus track ("Hell No")
Great album. I'm surprised a lot of the music blogs were so down on it.
How is the bonus track?

I bought it at Borders, along with a couple of other CDs, using the 40% off coupon, but I haven't opened the CD yet. It came to $6.58 or something like that after the discount.

But I'd rather return it and buy it at BB for the extra track (shoulda' been on top of that) if it's at least above average.
Old 11-15-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Bump.

If possible, I want to purchase this right after work. So if anyone could help a brother out, you'd rock, in my book.

Old 11-16-07, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
How is the bonus track?

I bought it at Borders, along with a couple of other CDs, using the 40% off coupon, but I haven't opened the CD yet. It came to $6.58 or something like that after the discount.

But I'd rather return it and buy it at BB for the extra track (shoulda' been on top of that) if it's at least above average.
Its a good rocker, definately above average. Very old school Hives, probably left off the album since they were going for more diversity this time around.
Old 11-17-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think, with the exception of the awful T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S., it's a damned good album, maybe their best.
FWIW this is song is meant to be a total joke - listen to the lyrics and keep the Hives attitude in mind.

Pelle even said in a interview that he kinda hates the popularity they have now because he can't mess with people as much anymore - before they were huge stars the whole "We are you new favorite band" & "The hives rule the world" would actually get a rise out of people and give the band a good laugh (these guys are really all goofballs) - now he says that's all changed because some people actually consider them their "favorite band".

Personally, I think T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S. is so over the top and goofy.....it's a nice little intermission on the album.
Old 11-26-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well I am not so enthusiastic about it. I pretty hated it except for TTB. Seems to me like they have a huge hit on each of their albums, and the rest of the songs are subpar.
Old 12-08-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first got it I gave it a once over and put it away - not because I hated it or anything I was just on a different listening streak. I've been listening to it non-stop now and like it more each time I hear it.
Old 12-09-07, 12:28 AM

Its a good rocker, definately above average. Very old school Hives, probably left off the album since they were going for more diversity this time around.
old school? they actually venture from their sound more in this cd more than any other.
Old 12-09-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
old school? they actually venture from their sound more in this cd more than any other.
Without a doubt - I'm also thinking that's the reason for this new album taking so long to come out as well.
Old 12-10-07, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by chino77
Just to clarify, when I said old school, I was referring to one song (the Best Buy bonus track "Hell No"). The album as a whole takes lots of new tangents for them (I love "Well, Alright). The other great thing about this disc is the mixing is really loud. It scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.
Old 12-10-07, 03:05 PM

Just to clarify, when I said old school, I was referring to one song (the Best Buy bonus track "Hell No"). The album as a whole takes lots of new tangents for them (I love "Well, Alright). The other great thing about this disc is the mixing is really loud. It scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.
oops i missed that when i replied. makes more sense now.
Old 12-10-07, 04:37 PM
Banned

Wow I haven't heard of them in awhile. They were pretty good. I liked their sound a lot actually but it seemed like at the time a lot of bands sounded similar. To me bands like The STrokes, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand...they all have a similar sound.