Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Hives

Old 11-13-07, 09:22 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 918
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hives

The Black and White Album

I, for one, am totally psyched for the new CD.
Anyone else?

What I've heard, I love.
Old 11-14-07, 01:06 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shit ive had this cd for over a month. its OK. nowhere near as good as the others.
Old 11-14-07, 07:25 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,158
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think, with the exception of the awful T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S., it's a damned good album, maybe their best.
Old 11-14-07, 10:45 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,921
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.99 on itunes. Love the other albums.
Old 11-14-07, 12:12 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's their best record. I love almost every song on it. Anyone who was a fan of their earlier records will like this one IMO...way better than the last record!
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy has it for 7.99 w/ an exclusive bonus track ("Hell No")
Great album. I'm surprised a lot of the music blogs were so down on it.
Old 11-15-07, 12:50 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,807
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fallfan
Best Buy has it for 7.99 w/ an exclusive bonus track ("Hell No")
Great album. I'm surprised a lot of the music blogs were so down on it.
How is the bonus track?

I bought it at Borders, along with a couple of other CDs, using the 40% off coupon, but I haven't opened the CD yet. It came to $6.58 or something like that after the discount.

But I'd rather return it and buy it at BB for the extra track (shoulda' been on top of that) if it's at least above average.
Old 11-15-07, 03:20 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,807
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Bump.

If possible, I want to purchase this right after work. So if anyone could help a brother out, you'd rock, in my book.

Old 11-16-07, 11:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
How is the bonus track?

I bought it at Borders, along with a couple of other CDs, using the 40% off coupon, but I haven't opened the CD yet. It came to $6.58 or something like that after the discount.

But I'd rather return it and buy it at BB for the extra track (shoulda' been on top of that) if it's at least above average.
Its a good rocker, definately above average. Very old school Hives, probably left off the album since they were going for more diversity this time around.
Old 11-17-07, 12:17 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,186
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think, with the exception of the awful T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S., it's a damned good album, maybe their best.
FWIW this is song is meant to be a total joke - listen to the lyrics and keep the Hives attitude in mind.

Pelle even said in a interview that he kinda hates the popularity they have now because he can't mess with people as much anymore - before they were huge stars the whole "We are you new favorite band" & "The hives rule the world" would actually get a rise out of people and give the band a good laugh (these guys are really all goofballs) - now he says that's all changed because some people actually consider them their "favorite band".

Personally, I think T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S. is so over the top and goofy.....it's a nice little intermission on the album.
Old 11-26-07, 08:44 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,239
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Well I am not so enthusiastic about it. I pretty hated it except for TTB. Seems to me like they have a huge hit on each of their albums, and the rest of the songs are subpar.
Old 12-08-07, 10:16 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,186
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
When I first got it I gave it a once over and put it away - not because I hated it or anything I was just on a different listening streak. I've been listening to it non-stop now and like it more each time I hear it.
Old 12-09-07, 12:28 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fallfan
Its a good rocker, definately above average. Very old school Hives, probably left off the album since they were going for more diversity this time around.
old school? they actually venture from their sound more in this cd more than any other.
Old 12-09-07, 06:22 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,186
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
old school? they actually venture from their sound more in this cd more than any other.
Without a doubt - I'm also thinking that's the reason for this new album taking so long to come out as well.
Old 12-10-07, 08:15 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
old school? they actually venture from their sound more in this cd more than any other.
Just to clarify, when I said old school, I was referring to one song (the Best Buy bonus track "Hell No"). The album as a whole takes lots of new tangents for them (I love "Well, Alright). The other great thing about this disc is the mixing is really loud. It scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.
Old 12-10-07, 03:05 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fallfan
Just to clarify, when I said old school, I was referring to one song (the Best Buy bonus track "Hell No"). The album as a whole takes lots of new tangents for them (I love "Well, Alright). The other great thing about this disc is the mixing is really loud. It scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.
oops i missed that when i replied. makes more sense now.
Old 12-10-07, 04:37 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I haven't heard of them in awhile. They were pretty good. I liked their sound a lot actually but it seemed like at the time a lot of bands sounded similar. To me bands like The STrokes, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand...they all have a similar sound.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.