Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse, both movies not on same dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Grindhouse, both movies not on same dvd?

Old 04-09-07, 01:11 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess if you want to see it with the restaraunt ads for Acuna Burger, and the shots of food sitting tables that plays in between the movies, and some of the "coming attractions" logos, the theater may be the only place to see it, if they split the films up on DVD and then just have the trailers on the special features menu.
Old 04-09-07, 02:41 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,832
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, i'll just cry if they don't release one version that contains the theatrical cut. I'd LOVE to sit at home and watch this whole thing, coming attraction logos, ratings cougar, and all....
Old 04-09-07, 03:04 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,201
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
man, i'll just cry if they don't release one version that contains the theatrical cut. I'd LOVE to sit at home and watch this whole thing, coming attraction logos, ratings cougar, and all....
Old 04-09-07, 07:48 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayDerek
man, i'll just cry if they don't release one version that contains the theatrical cut. I'd LOVE to sit at home and watch this whole thing, coming attraction logos, ratings cougar, and all....
Double
Old 04-09-07, 07:57 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
You got it mixed up there... Death Proof stank, Planet Terror rocked
No, he had it right the first time, except Death Proof was cooler.

Now, I came up with the coolest idea for a 5-disc ultimate edition:

Grindhouse – The Ultimate Double-Feature – Special 5-Disc Collector’s Set

Disc 1 – PLANET TERROR – Theatrical Edition
Feature Presentation
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track with Robert Rodriguez/Graeme Revell Commentary
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentaries
- Audio Commentary #1: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, & Rose McGowan
- Audio Commentary #2: Robert Rodriguez and members of Troublemaker VFX
Faux Trailers – MACHETE
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentary with Robert Rodriguez and Danny Trejo

Disc 2 – PLANET TERROR – Unrated Edition
Feature Presentation
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
Audio Commentary with Robert Rodriguez

Disc 3 – DEATH PROOF – Theatrical Edition
Feature Presentation
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentary with Quentin Tarantino, Sally Menke, Kurt Russell, Rose McGowan, and Zoë Bell
Faux Trailers – WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S.; DON’T; THANKSGIVING
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentaries
- Rob Zombie and Sheri Moon (Werewolf Women of the S.S.)
- Edgar Wright (Don’t)
- Eli Roth and Jeff Rendell (Thanksgiving)

Disc 4 – DEATH PROOF – The Cannes Cut
Feature Presentation
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track
- Audio Commentary with Quentin Tarantino and Zoë Bell
WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S. – THE “COMPLETE” FILM
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audio Commentary with Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, and Nicolas Cage

DISC 5 – INTO THE GRINDHOUSE: SPECIAL FEATURES
Extensive Features on the Making of Grindhouse
“Welcome to the Grindhouse” Featurette
“Grindhouse Comes to Cannes” Featurette
“Faux Trailers at SxSW” Feature
- WINNER: Hobo with a Shotgun
- Runner-Ups: The Dead Won’t Die; Maiden of Death
Additional Deleted & Extended Scenes with Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino Introductions
Outtakes
Trailer Gallery
- Theatrical Teasers
- Theatrical Trailer (rated and unrated)
- International Trailers
- Planet Terror – Scream Awards Trailer
TV Spots
Old 04-09-07, 08:24 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ghost World
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
man, i'll just cry if they don't release one version that contains the theatrical cut. I'd LOVE to sit at home and watch this whole thing, coming attraction logos, ratings cougar, and all....
Could they even call it GRINDHOUSE if they split it up? I really hope this never happens. I also hope they don't split the film over 2 discs like TITANIC. It just wouldn't be the same.
Old 04-09-07, 08:36 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: austria
Posts: 1,009
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MKSilv
This was in today's Variety. It confirms 2 separate releases.


"Harvey Weinstein defended the decision to keep the two together Sunday, telling Daily Variety it was artistically the right move and that the movie will be a moneymaker thanks to its foreign sales as separate films and an upcoming DVD rollout, which also will release the films as two separate titles."
THIS SU**S !!!
Old 04-09-07, 09:27 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I can't believe we can never watch the movies again. Oh wait, we still can.
Old 04-09-07, 10:23 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, Harvey is now saying that in a few weeks or so, they'll try to release each film individually in the theaters. He believes length for the whole thing was a deterrent, and that they'll throw in those missing film reels to make the movies full length.

God damnit.

One can only hope they release them together on DVD now as a big bang package after having to release them individually in theaters.
Old 04-09-07, 10:42 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 825
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
No, he had it right the first time, except Death Proof was cooler.

Now, I came up with the coolest idea for a 5-disc ultimate edition:

Grindhouse – The Ultimate Double-Feature – Special 5-Disc Collector’s Set

Disc 1 – PLANET TERROR – Theatrical Edition
Feature Presentation
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track with Robert Rodriguez/Graeme Revell Commentary
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentaries
- Audio Commentary #1: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, & Rose McGowan
- Audio Commentary #2: Robert Rodriguez and members of Troublemaker VFX
Faux Trailers – MACHETE
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentary with Robert Rodriguez and Danny Trejo

Disc 2 – PLANET TERROR – Unrated Edition
Feature Presentation
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
Audio Commentary with Robert Rodriguez

Disc 3 – DEATH PROOF – Theatrical Edition
Feature Presentation
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentary with Quentin Tarantino, Sally Menke, Kurt Russell, Rose McGowan, and Zoë Bell
Faux Trailers – WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S.; DON’T; THANKSGIVING
- 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audience Reaction Track
Audio Commentaries
- Rob Zombie and Sheri Moon (Werewolf Women of the S.S.)
- Edgar Wright (Don’t)
- Eli Roth and Jeff Rendell (Thanksgiving)

Disc 4 – DEATH PROOF – The Cannes Cut
Feature Presentation
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- 5.1 Isolated Music Track
- Audio Commentary with Quentin Tarantino and Zoë Bell
WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S. – THE “COMPLETE” FILM
- “Remastered” 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- Special “de-mastered” Mono Track
- Audio Commentary with Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, and Nicolas Cage

DISC 5 – INTO THE GRINDHOUSE: SPECIAL FEATURES
Extensive Features on the Making of Grindhouse
“Welcome to the Grindhouse” Featurette
“Grindhouse Comes to Cannes” Featurette
“Faux Trailers at SxSW” Feature
- WINNER: Hobo with a Shotgun
- Runner-Ups: The Dead Won’t Die; Maiden of Death
Additional Deleted & Extended Scenes with Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino Introductions
Outtakes
Trailer Gallery
- Theatrical Teasers
- Theatrical Trailer (rated and unrated)
- International Trailers
- Planet Terror – Scream Awards Trailer
TV Spots
The lack of this kind of AWESOMENESS in most DVD releases makes me cry.
Old 04-09-07, 11:42 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,667
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Your proposed 5 disc set looks interesting...except that it doesn't include the movie as it was presented in theaters.
Old 04-09-07, 11:43 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's more info to back up that the Weinstein's may add extra footage, break the movie into two separate flicks, and then release them both back into THEATERS (and on DVD as well):

EXCLUSIVE: Harvey Weinstein told me this morning that he's "incredibly disappointed" with the half-than-expected $12 mil box office for Grindhouse released on Easter Weekend (a controversial move itself). So much so, that he's considering abandoning the double feature as a single feature concept and re-releasing the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez movie around the U.S. "in a couple of weeks" as two separate feature-length movies with additional footage put in. That's what Harvey says The Weinstein Co. is already intending to do with the film's release in Europe: split it into two separate pics, Tarantino's Death Proof and Rodriguez's Planet Terror. "Quentin's movie goes out first in competition at Cannes. He'll do an extensive 4 to 5 month tour. And the trailer will be all Quentin's," Weinstein told me about his European plans. "Then we'll release Robert's a couple of months later. By splitting it up, we're going to do a hell of a lot better internationally than we did here." Weinstein noted that, even in Grindhouse's video deal as well as its TV deal with Starz Entertainment Group, it's been sold as two separate movies. "Our deal with Encore is that they can play it any way they want." So this is why The Weinstein Co. is now deciding to suck it up and do in this country what it probably should have done all along. "First of all, I'm incredibly disappointed. We tried to do something new and obviously we didn't do it that well," Harvey told me today. "It's just a question of how is it going to hang in there. But we could split the movies in a couple of weeks. Make Tarantino's a full-length film, and Rodriguez's too. We'll be adding those 'two missing reels' that's talked about in the movie." (At one point in Grindhouse, a sex scene is interrupted because of "two missing reels" -- one of the many conceits and indulgences.)

Weinstein pointed to several reasons why Grindhouse did so poorly in theaters over Easter weekend. "Our research showed the length kept people away. It was the single biggest deterrent. It was 3 hours and 12 minutes long. We originally intended to get it all in in 2 hours, 30 minutes. That would have been a better time. But the movies ran longer, the [fake] trailers ran longer, everything ran longer," Harvey told me. Weinstein also criticized his own marketing plan. "We didn't educate the South or Midwest. In the West and the East, the movie played well. It played well in strong urban settings. But we missed the boat on the Midwest and the South." But he denies other's thinking that the Grindhouse subject matter was too foreign for mainstream audiences in mainstream theaters. He's wrong, of course. (In many theaters, before the pic began, the house lights went up and an usher came out to tell audiences that Grindhouse was designed to look old and scratched and to have "missing reels", and that the intermission, including the fake trailers, was also part of the movie, so nobody need complain to the management. Obviously the managements had received some complaints at earlier shows -- astonishing, given the hoopla this film has been given.) Yet The Weinstein Co. wouldn't give the film to actual Grindhouses, or even the Grindhouse Film Festival, to screen and create buzz. That may be one reason the advance tracking on the film prior to Friday was only so-so. The hype seems to have been all Internet-generated, which is why New Line's Snakes On A Plane flopped.

Weinstein admitted spending at least $30 million on U.S. promotion and advertising for Grindhouse, which, added to what I'd already heard was a $67+ mil budget and not the low-50s cost he has claimed, makes this a $100 mil movie. So the first weekend's take of just $12 mil is all the more disastrous. On the other hand, Harvey (and independent observers) says the movie is heavily pre-sold overseas and expects it to do well there. That's not surprising, since many movies recently (Babel, Apocalypto) have run out of gas here only to pump up the total with international box office. But a re-release in the U.S. could prove almost prohibitively costly for The Weinstein Co.: new prints, new marketing, new everything. It may nto be worth it, especially with Spider-man 3 and the rest of this summer's tentpole onslaught is just around the corner.

Weinstein admits that he thought the film would do much better than it did and sees the failure of Grindhouse's U.S. release as a rap on his reputation for movie savvy. He can't blame the directors. After all, he is closely tied to Tarantino and Rodriquez personally and professionally and, what's more, he and brother Bob made that relationship and Grindhouse a cornerstone of their fledgling company's financing. (No doubt, that's why Harvey, who has a long history of imposing his iron will on filmmakers, gave the two directors a pass when it came to Grindhouse's extreme length.)

But Harvey is adamant that the flop will not be a body blow to The Weinstein Co., even though it's only been in business since only 2005. "We're smart businessmen. Thank God, we protected ourselves economically. I've spent the last year diversifying the company. We're making profits everywhere but the movie business. But on DVD sales, we're doing well," he claims. The Weinstein Company's diversified investments include the home video company Genius Products, the private online community aSmallWorld, the cable TV hit show Project Runway, the independent cable channel Ovation, and, most recently, the Halston fashion brand. Harvey admitted to me that his attention may have been too diverted from the movie biz as a result. "This Cannes, I'm going to change all that. I'm back to being me. We wanted to diversify immediately. Now I have to go back to being Harvey.


Here's the link: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
Old 04-10-07, 02:40 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Your proposed 5 disc set looks interesting...except that it doesn't include the movie as it was presented in theaters.
As much as I'd love to have the full theatrical experience on DVD once more, I'd rather have better A/V than crappy video (no pun intended) and a lacking (or no) DTS track.
Old 04-10-07, 03:49 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,115
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should just go old school and release it on VHS.
Old 04-10-07, 09:37 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 3,817
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are audiences such god dammned pussies when it comes to movies being long? What ever happaned to the days when great blockbusters were commonly over 3 hours long and nobody complained? Gone With the Wind? Ben Hur? The Ten Commandments? Do people nowadays have such a passing interest in movies that sitting in the theater for 3 hours is simply out of the question?

People are fucking retarded.
Old 04-10-07, 12:15 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,239
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Audio Commentaries
- Rob Zombie and Sheri Moon (Werewolf Women of the S.S.)
- Edgar Wright (Don’t)
- Eli Roth and Jeff Rendell (Thanksgiving)
I'd say the only thing missing is Simon Pegg from the "Don't" preview.
Old 04-10-07, 12:39 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caiman
People are fucking retarded.
Amen. Perhaps if Kurt Russell played all the roles in Death Proof it would've done better?
Old 04-10-07, 12:43 PM
  #68  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Harvey Weinstein said Monday he is considering splitting Tarantino's "Death Proof" and Rodriguez's "Planet Terror," releasing them in theaters as two separate films down the road. The two films already are being released separately overseas and on DVD and television, he said.

"I want to see what happens this weekend," Weinstein told The Associated Press, saying the two films might be split at some point even if the full-length "Grindhouse" manages to hold up well in its second weekend.

"Even if that's the case, I think we might try to do a double play, in other words, 'Planet Terror' in one theater and the Tarantino in another," Weinstein said. "There's an audience that wants one or the other, and some people who want both, but not necessarily at the same time. This is a fine mess I've gotten myself into. I'm taking it all with a grain of salt, because I'm so proud of the movies."

Despite its weak debut, "Grindhouse" will turn a profit once home-video, television and overseas receipts are counted, Weinstein said."
Old 04-10-07, 02:20 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This should be a 3-disc edition, for sure .. One with the full theatrical release, and the other 2 with the individual, uncut films with extras.

There really is no reason to break these apart and re-release them - just too much of a risk to spend money to do it, and potentially lose more. Just ride this out in theaters - heck, maybe entice theaters to run this as a midnight feature, ala Rocky Horror. Then have this in a full-blown DVD edition in time for Halloween.
Old 04-10-07, 02:30 PM
  #70  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,529
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caiman
Why are audiences such god dammned pussies when it comes to movies being long? What ever happaned to the days when great blockbusters were commonly over 3 hours long and nobody complained? Gone With the Wind? Ben Hur? The Ten Commandments? Do people nowadays have such a passing interest in movies that sitting in the theater for 3 hours is simply out of the question?

People are fucking retarded.

considering I saw this at an AMC first show of the weekend deal for 5 bucks, I think it would be moronic to split the two and think people would pay seperate prices.
Old 04-10-07, 05:06 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,201
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Audio Commentary with Quentin Tarantino, Sally Menke, Kurt Russell, Rose McGowan, and Zoë Bell
Good wishes there. But will this finally be the first time that Tarantino will do an audio commentary for a movie he's directed?

And don't forget the "BBQ special recipe" for Rodriguez's cooking school!
Old 04-10-07, 07:22 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Amen. Perhaps if Kurt Russell played all the roles in Death Proof it would've done better?
If Kurt Russell was running around in a tight t-shirt and cut-off jeans, I'd probably run out of the auditorium, screaming in terror and madness.
Old 04-10-07, 08:27 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,153
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Your proposed 5 disc set looks interesting...except that it doesn't include the movie as it was presented in theaters.
It's the double-dip version.
Old 04-11-07, 05:02 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they 'Grindhouse' title was something just on the DVD art to let you know it's a Grindhouse title... I can see eventually just like Tales From The Crypt movie titles:

Grindhouse: Planet Terror
Grindhouse: Death Proof

and then
Grindhouse: Machete

once it gets its DVD release.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.