Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse, both movies not on same dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Grindhouse, both movies not on same dvd?

Old 04-08-07, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they make Machette into one of the next movies.
Old 04-08-07, 12:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts
I'd prefer an initial release that is quick to the market and has it presented as it was in the theaters. Probably would have to be two discs, so might as well throw a few special features on there like the rumored other trailers and missing reels.

Then separate 2 disc editions of each movie, with loads of special features and multiple commentaries.
Old 04-08-07, 12:18 PM

I hope they make Machette into one of the next movies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985694/
Old 04-08-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The general consensus, as pasted together from Tarantino/Rodriguez interviews is:

Sometime later, there will be a first DVD release of the two movies -- not packaged as one, excluding retailer specials -- with some features. Tarantino's gets the trailers. The films will be presented as they were theatrically.

Then later there will be a set of SEs -- again not together -- with the films "digitally remastered" (no more pops, scratches and jumps and...at least ONE of the missing reels restored...). Hopefully this will be timed to co-incide with Machete on DVD (perhaps, if we're really lucky, also those Kill Bill SEs finally and perhaps FDTD anamorphic but that's just my own speculation).
Old 04-08-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
exactly! the only way i would want this DVD is if it were the theatrical release on 1 dvd or at least 2 for a good DTS, but keeping the exact structure of the theatrical. on dvd anyone can do what they want and watch how they want, whether it be just one movie or whatever, that is the greatness of the DVD medium! but to split it up as two separate entities would be just wrong.
Yeah, I look at Grindhouse as more of an anthology film like Creepshow or Twilight Zone: The Movie rather than consisting of separate films. If they're going to do an initial release and then another one later, I hope that at least the initial release will be the whole thing on one disc.
Old 04-08-07, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, I look at Grindhouse as more of an anthology film like Creepshow or Twilight Zone: The Movie rather than consisting of separate films. If they're going to do an initial release and then another one later, I hope that at least the initial release will be the whole thing on one disc.
I agree with both scott1598 and Drexl. I would only buy Grindhouse. I have no interest in Planet Terror and Death Proff individually. I really enjoyed the Grindhouse experience but the movies seperately wouldn't do a thing for me.
Old 04-08-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First, I understand their thinking that "Grindhouse" is a recreation of a B-movie double bill in the theater and like any double feature, the films would get separate home video releases. Still, I don't agree with the idea of releasing the films "as is" (scratched up) and then re-released again as pristine special editions. To me, the scratches and such only work under the guise of the double bill they call "Grindhouse." To release them in such a state separately makes no sense other than a money grab. If you're going to release them individually, then make them finished films.
Old 04-08-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, due to box-office failure, will people know what the hell Planet Terror and Death Proof are when they're released seperately? Looks like the company's just gonna have to play it safe and release the theatrical cut first and then go for your mega-double dip.

Originally Posted by Cane Dewey
It should be a three-disc SE, with the both films (plus fake trailers) on the first disc, Planet Terror special features on the second disc and Death Proof special features on the third disc.
I like this idea. Extended editions for the 2nd and 3rd disc. Wonder what the store exclusives will be...If there are any.
Old 04-08-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I just saw the film and feel the same way.

The way it's all set up in theaters, makes it not 'two movies', but one big gigantic film experiance. Which is what it's supposed to be. The fact that the two directors made 90 minute films instead of the originally planned 70 minute films. Is not the studios fault, the directors for getting carried away. Since it was planned as one big double feature tribute and not just 'separate' films.

We start with Dimension logo, a fake trailer, then the GRINDEHOUSE credit sequence which fades into Planet Terror,then more fake trailers,commercials for food/restaurants,then Death Proof,then one big credit sequence that credits both films and trailers.

I'd prefer it to stay that way,instead of being split up. At the very least, the first release should be "GRINDEHOUSE" and not the films separately. And I love the 'missing reels' and grimy scratchy burning spliced up print style. And would hate to see the film(s) all cleaned up and pretty looking. That would not be any fun at all.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 04-08-07 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
I hope so, Death Proof rocked, Planet Terror stank.
You got it mixed up there... Death Proof stank, Planet Terror rocked

It seems the majority of viewers loved one and hated the other, so it's a good idea to put them on separate DVD's.
Old 04-08-07, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Well, due to box-office failure
Ouch, it got crushed just like Stuntman Mike's face.
Old 04-08-07, 09:10 PM

Although ideally I'd like to have the complete Grindhouse feature, I'm fine with just having to buy Planet Terror. Death Proof was too long and boring to begin with that I can't imagine enjoying Tarantino's extended Cannes cut.
Old 04-08-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These would only be a rental anyway and Planet Terror is the only one worth watching again. No issues with a split for me.
Old 04-08-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cane Dewey
It should be a three-disc SE, with the both films (plus fake trailers) on the first disc, Planet Terror special features on the second disc and Death Proof special features on the third disc.
That's not a bad idea, but I would prefer a single-disc release of Grindhouse as a whole, followed by a 3-disc set with each (extended) film on its own disc, along with the fake trailers, marketing materials, documentaries and other supplements on the third disc.
Old 04-08-07, 09:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's hoping Rodriguez has a BBQ cooking lesson on there.
Old 04-08-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
That's not a bad idea, but I would prefer a single-disc release of Grindhouse as a whole, followed by a 3-disc set with each (extended) film on its own disc, along with the fake trailers, marketing materials, documentaries and other supplements on the third disc.
Yeah, I'd go for this and wouldn't mind double dipping. The two movies together with the trailers and everything kind of work together in a strange, cohesive way but as a fan of both directors I would love to see fleshed out editions focusing on their individual parts.
Old 04-08-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just want the missing reels restored.
Old 04-09-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie was a blast, I can't wait for the DVDs to own this puppy
Old 04-09-07, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
Ouch, it got crushed just like

Thanks, a**hole.
Old 04-09-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll take a 2-disk double feature set.

Disk 1: Machete trailer and Planet Terror plus PT bonus features.

Disk 2: rest of the trailers and Death Proof plus DP bonus features.

The movies are short enough to where there should be enough room for bonus material on each disk.
Old 04-09-07, 08:49 AM

I wonder if QT/RR will add "From Dusk till Dawn", as part of the Grindhouse anthology?
that one also overdue for a new DVD release...

Last edited by tsetse27; 04-09-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Besides, Death Proof drops the whole notion for the final hour and it looks like a brand new film (which it is!)
I thought I was crazy, but I noticed this too. The beginning had a lot of scraches and pops, but the last half looked very new. Anyone know why that is?
Old 04-09-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'll take a 2-disk double feature set.

Disk 1: Machete trailer and Planet Terror plus PT bonus features.

Disk 2: rest of the trailers and Death Proof plus DP bonus features.

The movies are short enough to where there should be enough room for bonus material on each disk.
That sounds like a plan to me!
Old 04-09-07, 12:07 PM

This was in today's Variety. It confirms 2 separate releases.

"Harvey Weinstein defended the decision to keep the two together Sunday, telling Daily Variety it was artistically the right move and that the movie will be a moneymaker thanks to its foreign sales as separate films and an upcoming DVD rollout, which also will release the films as two separate titles."
Old 04-09-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argh. It's artistic until it comes to the money making......

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.