Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battle Royale R1 coming!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle Royale R1 coming!

I just found this on amazone.. 5/29th release date.

http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...dvdpricesearch
(I and II)

Starmax release - no specs.. but is this a new NTSC transfer? A port from the OOP NTSC 5.1 version?

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 05-19-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the descriptor tags it says "Import" and for Region it says "unknown" so I wouldn't get my hopes up. If it comes to the US on DVD I think someone a little bigger (even if it is specialty, like, say, Tartan) will get it.
Old 05-19-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does any US company own the rights to the film at the moment, but just haven't released it yet?
Old 05-19-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

booo nothing will top the UK Tartan Tin version....whatever happened to the american remake?
Old 05-19-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Virginia Tech.

Right after that happened I read that it was being shelved. I don't think it'll ever get made in the US because there will always be some kind of big tragedy involving guns that will have happened within 1 or 2 years that studios will use as an excuse to not make the film.
Old 05-19-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's sad cos the american remake could turn out to be a masterpiece if it was done right.
Old 05-19-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I read that it was being shelved.
I was going to say "excellent" as I'm typically not a fan of remakes ..at all, but it would be very interesting to see how New Line would handle it. With my lack of faith in Hollywood studios in general, they would probably make BR end up looking like Bad Boys 2 or something similar.
Old 05-19-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
it's sad cos the american remake could turn out to be a masterpiece if it was done right.
Don't hold your breath.

By the way, what's wrong with Fukasaku's version?
Old 05-19-07, 03:42 PM

The one good thing a remake would bring is probably an R1 release of the original. Usually the original gets a big release whenever the remake is about to hit theaters.

bahhh
Old 05-19-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
I just found this on amazone.. 5/29th release date.

http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...dvdpricesearch
(I and II)

Starmax release - no specs.. but is this a new NTSC transfer? A port from the OOP NTSC 5.1 version?

Anyone know anything about this?
Looks like similar to the one sold at Hot Topic a year ago.

And its by Wision Entertainment (import from Korea) .. its NTSC and Region Code free

*edited 5/19/2007 6:25pm

Last edited by xage; 05-19-07 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude

If done right??? That's an understatement. It was beign done by Neil H. Moritz, the guy behind stuff like "Prison Break", "I know what you did last summer", etc. It was probably gonna be ruined, better that it's shelved now.
Old 05-19-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'm sorry, but IMO, no one could do it right if done in America. I don't think a studio would allow it and there would be so many compromises, it just wouldn't be worth it.
Old 05-19-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you think about it, Battle Royale would be undoable in America, Virginia Tech or not. However, I'd kill to see Zack Snyder or Paul Verhoeven take on the project. If Snyder put an ounce of energy like he did with 300 and Dawn of the Dead, we'd get an epic, no-holds-barred telling of the story (watch the DOTD opening credit scenes for proof). Verhoeven's BR, however, would be possibly the most excitingly badass project ever. Have him direct, Ed Neumeier on writing duties, and you've got a movie to join RoboCop and Starship Troopers. I can't even begin to picture Media Breaks in his version...
Old 05-19-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a kid getting graphically killed in a U.S. movie. Robocop 2? I guess kids don't really get killed in real life.
Old 05-19-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xage

And its by Starmax (import from Korea) .. its NTSC and Region Code free
That's a reasonably nice box. I wish I had known they were being sold but I don't go into Hot Topic.
Old 05-19-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is the same thing, it is the region free Korean import.
Old 05-19-07, 07:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

And its by Starmax (import from Korea) .. its NTSC and Region Code free
so what is the difference between this and the Starmax R0 NTSC Director's Cut of the first film only? the one with the beige slipcase...
Old 05-19-07, 07:58 PM

this is also available right now on hot topics website for $35
Old 05-19-07, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so what is the difference between this and the Starmax R0 NTSC Director's Cut of the first film only? the one with the beige slipcase...
My apologies I stand corrected, this is a Wision Entertainment Release not Starmax
Old 05-19-07, 09:22 PM

FYE is carrying this set now, too, along with a non-anamorphic Universe Laser release of the first movie.
Old 05-19-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
So is that a legit release? Do the special features have english subtitles?
Old 05-20-07, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69
So is that a legit release? Do the special features have english subtitles?

Yes, its a legit release (produced,manufactured & imported from Korea). Unfortunately there were no English Sub for its special feature.
Old 05-20-07, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
If you think about it, Battle Royale would be undoable in America, Virginia Tech or not. However, I'd kill to see Zack Snyder or Paul Verhoeven take on the project. If Snyder put an ounce of energy like he did with 300 and Dawn of the Dead, we'd get an epic, no-holds-barred telling of the story (watch the DOTD opening credit scenes for proof). Verhoeven's BR, however, would be possibly the most excitingly badass project ever. Have him direct, Ed Neumeier on writing duties, and you've got a movie to join RoboCop and Starship Troopers. I can't even begin to picture Media Breaks in his version...
Well, too bad I'm not a film maker or anyone of importance. If I helmed the project, I'd make damn sure to stick to the book's roots and adhere strictly to age groups, violence, sex, plotlines etc. Yeah, I'm sure I'd have to chop it up for at least an R rating, but i'd want the studio to back me up into shooting the full film, book, and script with no compromise. I'll deliver them their mass audience version to make money, but cut a full version for the die hard fans. Sure that idealism sucks. If worse comes to worst, I'd at least split the (ideal 3 hour film in two) to keep everything in tact, and keep the rating and the graphicness.
Old 05-20-07, 07:26 PM

Too bad, most members do insert the topic about the Movie Remake where this thread talks about the Region 1 DVD release

Anyways, should you voice out your opinion about the remake of Battle Royale in Hollywood here is the appropriate thread for you.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468134
Old 05-20-07, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
That's a reasonably nice box. I wish I had known they were being sold but I don't go into Hot Topic.
Don't worry about it droidguy, most normal people avoid Hot Topic like the plague....Like my wife says every time we go by a Hot Topic...."That store is for freaks"....Enough said...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.