Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 09:13 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 2.3

Last Update: Deleted Release List & Reviews – 06/19/06

Welcome to DVDTalk's Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 2.3. Buttons are at the top of the page for quick access. Enjoy!

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 09-08-06 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 09:14 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Xbox 360 F.A.Q.

General Questions

When did the system launch?

Launched on November 22nd, 2005 in the United States. European launch December 2nd and Japanese launch December 11th.

How much does the Xbox 360 cost?

$299 for the Core package which includes:

Xbox 360 Console
Wired Controller
Composite AV cable

$399 for the Premium package which includes:

Xbox 360 Console with Chrome tray finish
20GB HDD
Wireless Controller
Headset
Ethernet Cable
Component HD-AV cable

Do I need a High Definition Television for the 360?

No, but you will really want one. All Xbox 360 games will all run in at least 720p with a 16:9 aspect ratio. But when playing on a 4:3 display, games will run in widescreen by default, though gamers will have the option to switch to 4:3 should they so choose. Designers are very much encouraged to design their games so that they're playable in a 4:3 ratio, with dialog text, HUDs and those sorts of things appearing properly at 4:3.

Solution for the HDTV-less: Use the $40 VGA cable with an existing monitor. This can be a temporary High-Res solution until you purchase a HDTV.

Is the Xbox 360 backwards compatible?

Yes! 214 titles at the moment with many more to be added in the future. Check out the list here: Link

How many games are available now?

160 titles should be available by the end of 2006.

What are the basic specs for the Xbox 360?

3 IBM 3.2 Ghz CPU’s
500 MHz ATI GPU with 10 MB embedded DRAM
512 MB RAM
20 GB hard drive
12X DVD-ROM
Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers
3 USB 2.0 ports.
1 Ethernet port
Wi-fi Ready (Adaptor sold separately)
Video Camera Ready (Camera sold separately)
Dimensions: 309 mm wide x 83 mm high x 258 mm deep or 12.15 in wide x 3.27 in high x 10.15 in deep
Weight: 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg)

Peripherals

What peripherals can I buy for the 360?

Peripheral
Price
Picture
Specs
Logitech Harmony 360 Remote
$129.99
Out of the box, the Harmony remote for Xbox 360 can control the console. Users can navigate the Xbox 360 interface with the remote´s X, Y, A and B buttons. These buttons coincide with commands in different Xbox 360 screens for selecting and navigating games, settings, music and media.
Hard Drive
$99.99
Included with Premium package. 20 Gig Detachable Drive for storing game saves, music and video content. Also contains pre-loaded HD bonus content, including the arcade game Hexic HD
Wireless Network Adapter
$99.99
Dual band 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wireless A/B/G home network compatible. Allows you to stream photos and music from Microsoft Windows XP and recorded TV, movies, and videos from your Microsoft Windows XP Media Center based PC.
Xbox Live Vision Camera
$39.99
VGA 640x480 video at 30 frames per second and takes 1.3-megapixel (1280x1024 resolution) still photos. Stills can be taken for your use in the UI, game, or in the moment of glory.
Wireless Controller
$49.99
1 included with Premium package. 2.4 GHz wireless technology with 30-foot range, Integrated headset port for Xbox Live play, Adjustable vibration feedback for longer battery life.
Wired Controller
$39.99
1 included with Core package. Integrated headset port for Xbox Live play, Works with most Windows XP-based PCs, Adjustable vibration feedback for a personalized gaming experience.
64 mb Memory Card
$39.99
Required in absence of hard drive to play on Xbox Live and to save game progress. Also comes with carrying case for your keychain.
VGA Video Cable
$39.99
Standard VGA Connector, Video output settings of 480p, 720p, or 1080i, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound output, 8-foot long.
Component HD AV Cable
$39.99
Included with Premium package. High-definition gaming output of 720p or 1080i, Progressive-scan DVD playback in 480p, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound output, 8-foot-long shielded cable
S-Video/Composite AV Cable
$29.99
Included with Core package. S-Video & Composite Video output, Digital Optical Audio output & Stereo Audio output,
8-foot-long shielded cable.
Universal Media Remote
$29.99
Ergonomic design with backlit buttons, Universal TV remote, Integrated Windows XP Media Center controls.
Play & Charge Kit
$19.99
Play & Charge Cable enables continuous game play for a wireless controller, more than 30 hours of play per charge, battery fuel gauge through the Xbox 360 dashboard, includes cable and NiMH rechargeable battery pack.
Xbox Live Headset
$19.99
Included with Premium package. Noise-canceling microphone with adjustable boom, Volume control and mute switch.
Interchangeable faceplates
$19.99
Matching Xbox 360 dashboard themes available online

Xbox Live

Can I register a gamertag without an Xbox 360?

Yes! Go to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/myxbox/myprofile.htm and sign up. You also have the ability to post it on web sites such as forums or blogs. For instance:

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/AwfullyGood.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">AwfullyGood.</iframe>

Is there a list of DVDTalk members on Xbox Live?

Yes: GoLucky's Xbox Live Gamertag list GoLucky was nice enough to add links to our online gamertag info at Xbox.com. Just add your name to the thread if you would like to be on the list.

What’s the difference between Xbox Live Silver and Xbox Live Gold?

Xbox Live Silver completely free. You get access to Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade, Acheivement listings and comparisons, Community and Communication Features, and Limited Online Multiplayer Gaming (an occasional free weekend of Gold membership).

Xbox Live Gold is everything mentioned above along with online multiplayer gaming all the time. You have 3 options in terms of a flat subscription fee: monthly ($7.99), 3-months ($19.99), 1 year ($49.99). Alternatively, if you got stuck with a core, snatch up one of the Xbox Live starter kits to get a headset. The pricing for those 2 items is:

$69.99 for the Twelve-month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack

$39.99 for the Three-month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack

What are the new features of Xbox Live?

Xbox Live Marketplace allows you to download demos, trailers, episodic content, levels, weapons, vehicles, and more. Eventually, players will be able to open their own “Ebay-inspired” storefront’s and sell player created content. You will be able to design game content on your PC using tools that could be available on the game DVD and then stream them over to the XBox360.

Here’s a list of all current marketplace content broken down by game: Link

Marketplace Picture

Xbox Live Arcade gives you access to old school arcade games and lots of card games. This will also be integrated with video chat which will allow you to talk and play at the same time.

Live Arcade games available:

Game Title
      Point Cost
      Astropop
      Bankshot Billiards 2
      Bejeweled 2
      Cloning Clyde
      Crystal Quest
      Feeding Frenzy
      Frogger
      Galaga
      Gauntlet
      Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
      Hardwood Backgammon
      Hardwood Hearts
      Hardwood Spades
      Hexic® HD
      FREE
      Joust
      Marble Blast Ultra
      Mutant Storm Reloaded
      Outpost Kaloki
      Pac-Man
      Robotron 2084
      Smash TV
      Street Fighter 2
      Texas Hold'Em
      Time Pilot
      UNO
      Wik: Fable of Souls
      Zuma

Live Arcade Picture

Your new friends list keeps track of your friends and what games they are currently playing. If you are watching a movie or don't wish to be disturbed, you can list yourself as Busy. Each player's reputation is also listed in the Friend's view. Microsoft describes a player's reputation as their equivalent of an Ebay reliability rating, though it is more sensitive to time.

Invite Screen & List with Reputations

There is also a new feedback option that passes data into the matchmaking system. Rating someone positively tells the system that you would enjoy being matched with them in the future. Rate someone negatively and you will most likely never see them again.

How much are Marketplace Points in real money?

1 Point is the equivilent to 1.25 cents. In other words, 2000 points would equal $25.

Media Capabilities

Will custom soundtracks still be available?

Yes, all games will support custom soundtracks. You can easily access your music and playlists during any game by pressing the center button on your controller.

Can I use my Ipod or PsP with the Xbox 360?

Yes. From the two USB ports on the front of the system (one in the back), you can attach any portable MP3 player and stream music through the console. Songs that you've downloaded from iTunes (with their DRM entact) will not be playable through the Xbox 360 dashboard, but any other MP3 files that you've stored on your iPod will work just fine.

Also, the console is fully compatible with the latest version of Windows Media Center, so gamers with a home network can use 360 to stream music and HD movies from their PC.

Media Center Picture, Music Playlist Picture, Play screen with Visualizer, High Def Visualizer

Last edited by Flay; 09-07-06 at 07:49 AM.
      Old 11-16-05, 09:16 AM
      Video Game Talk Editor

Xbox 360 Links

Xbox.com’s 360 Section
      Major Nelson’s Podcast
      J Allard Video Interview

Two Price Sku’s:

Peter Moore Interview about the 2 price sku’s
      J. Allard Interview about the 2 price sku’s
      360 Reaction from Industry Heads

TeamXbox:

Taking a Spin with the Xbox 360
      Xbox 360 Dissected
      The Xbox 360 System Specifications
      Xbox 360 Software and Services Features
      Xbox 360 Peripherals

IGN:

More In depth F.A.Q.

Movies and Screenshots:

Xbox 360 Movies
      Excellent site for screenshots and game trailer torrents
      General Hardware Layout
      Excellent Dashboard & Xbox Live Breakdown

Technical breakdown of the 360's hardware: Anandtech Taking Apart the Xbox 360

Backwards Compatibility:

The complete list of compatible Xbox games
      The Guy in Charge of the project
      Q & A with the guy in charge

The Xbox 360 Interactive Kiosk: Link

HD-DVD Debate: Xbox 360 will never use HD-DVD

Detailed Look at Xbox Live’s Trueskill System: TrueSkill™ Ranking system

Great Site for complete achievement listings: Link

Xbox Hardware Mini-Review: Link

Cheap Faceplate Designs: 360Covers.com

Awesome interview with Xbox Live Arcade Director: Link

Stunning Xbox 360 images on a Dell 2405fp monitor: Using a VGA cable

Video Cable comparison shots: Brought to you by Gamespot.

Cool Xbox 360 Dashboard Videos: Link

Last edited by Flay; 11-21-05 at 10:19 AM.
      Old 09-08-06, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
      So, what does this mean?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/mic...s/2006/9/7/5220

September 07, 2006 @ 4:21PM - posted by Ken Fisher

Windows Media Player won't stream video to Xbox 360

One of the more disappointing things about the Xbox 360 is its very limited streaming video options. Without hacking, it has only been possible to stream video from a Media Center PC, and even then, it has only supported Windows Media Video, MPEG and related formats (DivX and Xvid are not supported, for instance). While Microsoft does offer some streaming capabilities with Windows Media Connect for Windows XP, those are limited to music and picture playback and presentation in most configurations.

With this week's release of Beta 2 of Windows Media Player, Microsoft caused a little bit of excitement in the so-called blogosphere with this quote:

If you have a home network (wired or wireless), you can use Windows Media Player 11 to stream the contents of your library to networked devices. For example, if you have an Xbox 360 or other digital media receiver (DMR), you can use Windows Media Player to stream music, pictures, and videos from your computer to that device.

The upshot was that you could use WMP to stream video to an Xbox.

After seeing this touted at a few other sites, I decided to fact check it and drop Microsoft a line. The bad news is that it was an error on their part. While WMP does support Windows Media Connect for pictures and music, video is not supported.

Sorry for this bit of anti-news, but a few of you sent it in and I thought it merited clarification.

Since I posted this right before the other thread got closed, I thought I would post it here again. Does this mean that our hopes of playing video from our computer HD's to our XBox 360 is out of the question?

Chris
      Old 09-08-06, 10:45 AM
      DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
      Shouldn't we be at Version IV or V now? It makes this thread seem a bit backwards...

What I do want to know is if it makes any sense (or if it's even possible) to import a Japanese Xbox 360. At this point, you get two free games and the price is ridiculously lower. For $256 + shipping ($300 total?), you get PGR, Ninety Nine Nights, and a Core console. That's great deal if you haven't gotten one yet.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/microso...mes-199282.php
      Old 09-08-06, 10:47 AM
      DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
      Originally Posted by mrpayroll (aka Chris)
      Since I posted this right before the other thread got closed, I thought I would post it here again. Does this mean that our hopes of playing video from our computer HD's to our XBox 360 is out of the question?
      The site doesn't say you can stream video to a 360. It says you can stream video with a 360 assuming you have Windows Media Center.

AFAIK, the only way to stream video to the 360 right now is WMC. When Vista comes out in 2009, we have that option as well.
      Old 09-08-06, 11:11 AM
      DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
      Shouldn't we be at Version IV or V now? It makes this thread seem a bit backwards...
      In the worold of software, you only bump the major revision number with a major release, not an iterative release
      Old 09-08-06, 11:12 AM
      DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

Chris
      I think I read that when the fall update comes, we WILL be able to use it to stream video without a media center PC
      Old 09-08-06, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
      I think I read that when the fall update comes, we WILL be able to use it to stream video without a media center PC
      Yeah, someone here had mentioned that, but I wasn't sure if the story I posted meant that that update would not allow video streaming. Hopefully the update will correct that problem.

Chris
      Old 09-08-06, 11:30 AM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody know if there are plans to make X-Men Legends I & II:Rise of Apocalypse BC? Is there a chance that they might when Marvel Ultimate Aliiance comes out? The guy at Gamestop said they won't do it.
      Old 09-08-06, 12:12 PM
      DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus

What I do want to know is if it makes any sense (or if it's even possible) to import a Japanese Xbox 360. At this point, you get two free games and the price is ridiculously lower. For $256 + shipping ($300 total?), you get PGR, Ninety Nine Nights, and a Core console. That's great deal if you haven't gotten one yet.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/microso...mes-199282.php
      It's definitely possible but you likely won't want to since not all games are region free.
      Old 09-08-06, 12:30 PM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
      Yeah, someone here had mentioned that, but I wasn't sure if the story I posted meant that that update would not allow video streaming. Hopefully the update will correct that problem.

Chris
      I read it at Teamxbox originally, but it looks like MS is shooting it down.

It's really sad that homebrew programs for the original Xbox can do it but MS won't...
      Old 09-08-06, 12:30 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19588

Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive to cost £199
      Matt Martin 15:57 08/09/2006
      With 360 bundles planned rather than pre-Christmas price cut

The Premium Xbox 360 won’t benefit from a price cut this Christmas - but instead a HD-DVD and console package is due, spearheading a marketing drive of console bundles available from November.

Retail sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is currently planning to price the standalone HD-DVD drive at GBP 199 (293 Euro), and to package it with two HD-DVD movies. The sources also suggested that Microsoft will bundle the Premium console and next-generation movie player together for under GBP 400 (589 Euro) – and that the price could even be as low as GBP 375 (552 Euros).

Next-generation movie support is considered a unique selling point of the PlayStation 3, but Microsoft’s HD-DVD bundle could retail around GBP 50 (74 Euro) cheaper than Sony’s machine, which features the rival Blu-ray movie format.

UK distributor Gem is already offering Premium Xbox 360s with a copy of Project Gotham Racing 3 and two wireless controllers for GBP 299.

It’s expected an official Premium bundle will be made available in early November, with a newly released triple-A third-party title included.

Microsoft recently reduced the price of the Xbox 360 Core package, after many retailers had already taken a similar intiative.

With the pressure to compete with Sony over the Christmas market no longer a threat for Europe, Microsoft looks set to capitalise with a range of SKUs to help grow its installed base in the region.

Microsoft did not respond to requests for comment.

That would make it around 371.189 USD

Chris
      Old 09-08-06, 04:14 PM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Harajuku1: "Who the hell are you? I vaguely remember a guy we used to call HO TANG but that was so long ago..............................."

LOL! I have only been gone a week!!! I will be on tonight or sometime this weekend! Ho Tang in the HIZ OUSE!

(I didn't know how to quote from other threads....my bad!)

Ho Tang
      Old 09-08-06, 04:40 PM
      Mok

Preview of the Fall Dashboard Update

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=9846

Ladies and gentleman, we're delighted to present to you the worlds first screens to public knowledge of the Xbox 360 Autumn (Fall) dashboard update. The new update offers some truly brand unique features, you will see the XNA launch pad (to run homebrew games freely made with the free XNA studio express for amateur developers), the white Xbox Live arcade image logo loading screen which replaces the traditional logo and a few more cool things. Better yet, it's scheduled for a release in November with lots of features which games shipped after this period will be able to take advantage of - PS3 watch out!

Click on the link for a picture preview.
      Old 09-08-06, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
      http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=9846

Ladies and gentleman, we're delighted to present to you the worlds first screens to public knowledge of the Xbox 360 Autumn (Fall) dashboard update. The new update offers some truly brand unique features, you will see the XNA launch pad (to run homebrew games freely made with the free XNA studio express for amateur developers), the white Xbox Live arcade image logo loading screen which replaces the traditional logo and a few more cool things. Better yet, it's scheduled for a release in November with lots of features which games shipped after this period will be able to take advantage of - PS3 watch out!

Click on the link for a picture preview.
      Yeah, but what about video streaming from your computer to the XBox 360?

Chris
      Old 09-08-06, 06:05 PM
      DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
      There's no fucking way I'm paying $375 for the HD-DVD drive now that Toshiba just lowered the price on their A-1 machine to nearly the same price.
      Old 09-08-06, 06:59 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

That is a hugely disappointing price. Wasn't it rumoured to be coming out at $100 US for a while?
      Old 09-08-06, 07:10 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

Who in their right mind would ever pay that much for it? Would any of you guys here do it? I highly doubt it.
      Old 09-08-06, 07:50 PM
      DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
      Current www.game.co.uk premium xbox price is £299.99. That's $564.31. That's a 41% markup over the US price.

Assuming the overhead, £199.99 = $376.20 / 1.41 = $266.81. I'm not saying that $250-$300 is a value compared to Toshiba's A1 or even the G2 stuff, but it isn't $375.

Still, $400 + $250 > PS3 Premium.

I don't think there's anyway Microsoft can afford to release it so high here.
      Old 09-08-06, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by HotThang
      Harajuku1: "Who the hell are you? I vaguely remember a guy we used to call HO TANG but that was so long ago..............................."

LOL! I have only been gone a week!!! I will be on tonight or sometime this weekend! Ho Tang in the HIZ OUSE!

(I didn't know how to quote from other threads....my bad!)

Ho Tang
      You could start by spelling my name right, I mean damn you didn't even try

Old 09-08-06, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
      Current www.game.co.uk premium xbox price is £299.99. That's $564.31. That's a 41% markup over the US price.

Assuming the overhead, £199.99 = $376.20 / 1.41 = $266.81. I'm not saying that $250-$300 is a value compared to Toshiba's A1 or even the G2 stuff, but it isn't $375.

Still, $400 + $250 > PS3 Premium.

I don't think there's anyway Microsoft can afford to release it so high here.
      I hope you're right. It cannot be more than $250 or they will screw themselves.

Chris
      Old 09-11-06, 12:34 PM
      Video Game Talk Editor

Holy Crap! Someone modded a Xbox 360 into a laptop: http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/11/b...best-mod-ever/

Old 09-11-06, 12:38 PM
      Video Game Talk Reviewer

That is actually kind of cool looking. As long as it had the option to output the video to another TV.

But that would make for travelling with it quite nice.

Could you imagine pulling that out and playing a game on it. Nice way to spend wasting time somewhere.
      Old 09-11-06, 10:59 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

What's the advance word on John Woo's Stranglehold, starring Chow Yun Fat?

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7...d_1655766.html

http://www.fraggerock.com/index.php/...es-convention/

It's from the guys that brought us Psi-Ops and I loved that game, big time. It looks so awesome to me, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Show Printable Version
      Email this Page

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.