Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Maggie Rogers - Don't Forget Me (4/12/24)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

I see we don't have any Maggie Rogers thread yet in this forum. I've only recently discovered her, and I just love her new album.
For those that don't know, this is her third album. She has a very cool origin story, being 'discovered' while a student at NYU, presenting her class project, essentially her homework,at the Clive Davis Institute. Pharrell Williams was a surprise observer as the students presented the song they had worked on. So she bravely played her song "Alaska" for Pharrell, and the rest is history.

Anyway, this third album she recorded with with producer Ian Fitchuk (who just produced the Kacey Musgraves album that dropped the week before) over just five days. I think it's a really strong album, both vocally and musically. Has kind of Sheryl Crow, Fleetwood Mac, Haim and Bonnie Raitt vibes.

The lead single was the title track, which is the last song on the album. A very pretty song.

The new single is maybe my favorite track, The Kill. She performed it last night on Colbert

Anyway, it's a really strong and interesting album, if a little brief at just 10 tracks. I'm a big fan of the Every Single Album podcast from The Ringer Podcast Network. They did an episode on it last week (as they had early access to the album), worth a listen after ejnoying the album a couple of times.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5iU...2bbe316b494333

The following users liked this post:
Meathead (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 06:00 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts
Re: Maggie Rogers - Don't Forget Me (4/12/24)

I'm surprised you're just discovering her now. That Pharrell story was pretty viral and I think she got a big push after her SNL performance 2018.

I liked the first album a lot. This one is pretty different from that.
Old 04-18-24, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 579 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks Decker! I had heard 'The Kill' somewhere in the last week, liked it, but didn't know who it was. Adding her to my playlists now.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (04-18-24)
Old 04-22-24, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

She ended up downplaying the Pharrell moment and said he was just one set of ears, probably to not make it seem like it had a huge impact on her success. It ended up where the nature of that viral moment evolved that some people thought that Pharrell wrote the song for her and all this other stuff so that was understandable for her to take a step back.
Old 04-23-24, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 468 Posts

I think the Pharrell moment gave a big boost to her career, it got her name and her song out there. She's very talented and I believe would have achieved success regardless, but it certainly jump started things; I would not have heard of her or that song if not for that moment. Or rather, I probably would not have heard of her or that song for a long time to come if not for that moment.
Old 04-29-24, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 579 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks again Decker... Maggie Rogers has been about all I've listened to outside of Taylor Swift in the last two weeks. She is fantastic. I love her latest album... not a single weak track. I just wish it was a longer album! A couple songs remind me of Sarah McLachlan especially "I Still Do." Favorite tracks on the album are The Kill, On & On & On, Never Going Home and Don't Forget Me.

I had heard her before too on Zach Bryan's single "Dawns" but didn't know who was the female voice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathead:
BDB (05-08-24), Decker (04-29-24)