Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your Unpopular Music Opinion?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What's your Unpopular Music Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: What's your Unpopular Music Opinion?

There is no bad music just music I don’t like. Only learned that when I was older.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-30-24)
Old 03-28-24, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Nostalgia for all things 80s, especially music, is way overblown. And 80s movie songs are THE WORST. If I never hear Don’t You Forget About Me, Danger Zone, Eye of the Tiger, Take My Breath Away, Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now, Against All Odds, Maniac, Flashdance (What a Feeling), Let’s Hear it for the Boy, I’ve Had The Time of my Life, or If You Leave ever again, it will be too soon.
Every generation has its own cheesy pop music.

The 80s kids have hit middle age and are in nostalgia/midlife crisis mode, so that's probably why you're hearing so many of those songs.

And there's something about a song, particularly if you haven't heard it in a long time, that can really take you back to your youth. So when you start hearing "Don't You Forget About Me" for the first time in decades, you start to remember the first time you saw "The Breakfast Club," and then you start remembering all of the people you knew in high school, all of the clothes and other music and that Countach you wanted, and Miami Vice and how everyone spent that one summer dressing like those narcs, that first handjob you got, and how you never watched Moonlighting or Hill Street Blues, but you should have...

I've been listening to the music of youth continuously for my whole life, so it doesn't hit me the same way, but, damn it, reading through old computer magazines like Compute! and Compute!'s Gazette sure does. Or when I dusted off my old NES and plugged it back in a few years ago.
Spiderbite (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Unpopular opinion: I think a lot of the 80s music that a lot of people talk about being the best actually kinda is some of the best music ever made.

It came at a time when musicians still had to have skill and talent but were starting to have access to computer technology for producing and recording and so managed to have the best of both worlds before autotune and such took over.
Old 03-28-24, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

1980's metal is still the best. Growling over drums that sound like a machine gun will never beat those early Iron Maiden, Metallica and Slayer albums.
emanon (04-02-24)
Old 03-28-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Unpopular opinion: I think a lot of the 80s music that a lot of people talk about being the best actually kinda is some of the best music ever made.

It came at a time when musicians still had to have skill and talent but were starting to have access to computer technology for producing and recording and so managed to have the best of both worlds before autotune and such took over.
Agree with this. I think the early 80s through the mid 80s produced a lot of great music. The post-punk era was a very creative and diverse period.
milo bloom (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The '80s (as far as what was on the charts) was very diverse - there was a little bit of everything in there.

I'd say music today, overall, is far more diverse, but not the stuff on the "charts" - you look at the charts today, and it's very same-y.
Old 03-28-24, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
In the case of Fleetwood Mac, I never had Rumors. Even today, I don't think I would immediately recognize any songs from it.
Really? I swear at least half the songs on the album were all over the radio when I was growing up.

Originally Posted by stvn1974
1980's metal is still the best. Growling over drums that sound like a machine gun will never beat those early Iron Maiden, Metallica and Slayer albums.
Agreed, it was a hugely creative and influencial era for that genre of music, from NWOBM to glam to thrash to the beginnings of death and black metal. Just 1986 alone, holy shit the metal albums we got that year!
Old 03-28-24, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Really? I swear at least half the songs on the album were all over the radio when I was growing up.
I didn't really listen to the radio nonstop back in the day. Not even in the background.

Going through the songs on Rumours, the only one I immediately recognize is "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow". IIRC, it was a song played frequently at Bill Clinton's various political rallies and inauguration in the early 1990s.
Old 03-28-24, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really listen to the radio nonstop back in the day. Not even in the background.
My mom constantly had a rock station playing on the car radio when she was driving us around places (she's pretty cool), so I heard a lot of that music on the radio back in the 70s as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, when my dad was driving it was mostly 50s music on 8-track tapes.
Old 03-28-24, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
My mom constantly had a rock station playing on the car radio when she was driving us around places (she's pretty cool), so I heard a lot of that music on the radio back in the 70s as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, when my dad was driving it was mostly 50s music on 8-track tapes.
The times my parents had a car, they usually tuned into stations that played classical music.
Old 03-28-24, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oof, I never heard classical music in my parents' car, that's for sure (not that there's anything wrong with classical, I like it now). If my grandfather was driving us somewhere, it was big band music.
Old 03-28-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Going through the songs on Rumours, the only one I immediately recognize is "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow". IIRC, it was a song played frequently at Bill Clinton's various political rallies and inauguration in the early 1990s.
I feel like it you've spent more than 12 minutes in a grocery store at any point in the last 30 years, you would have heard half the songs on that album.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
cultshock (03-29-24), tasha99 (03-29-24)
Old 03-28-24, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I feel like it you've spent more than 12 minutes in a grocery store at any point in the last 30 years, you would have heard half the songs on that album.
I don't hear Fleetwood Mac that often at my local grocery store but I do hear plenty of Baker Street, Night Moves, Brother Louie, Sultans Of Swing, Miss You, Witchy Woman, Piano Man, Pilot (Ian Thomas), All My Love, and Feel Like Makin' Love on a regular basis. They have a pretty cool radio station / in-store DJ. Makes for an enjoyable shopping experience ...
tasha99 (03-29-24)
Old 03-29-24, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I don't know if this will be considered an "unpopular" opinion here, but it is certainly unpopular with my wife.

I think that all Bluegrass, Blues and Reggae songs sound approximately the same within their genres. The nuances (if there are any) between songs are so slight that all three categories bore the shit out of me. If you have heard one song out of each these three, you have basically heard them all.

Country annoys the shit out of me, but I can at least tell a difference with a few of the artists and songs. But fuck country music.

I can stomach listening to Blues and Reggae but I just find them repetitive.

And fuck Bluegrass music too.
Old 03-29-24, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I’ll add on to that since you mentioned bluegrass - cross genre covers of songs (including bluegrass covers of pop songs) are usually better than the originals because the artists have to put real effort into making the song sound good in the new genre while still keeping the original feel of the song.
Old 03-29-24, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Everybody likes to say music from the past or when they were young was a lot better than it is now but there was crappy music back then too but you had time to research or look for the good stuff which probably nobody does as much when they get older.
Old 03-29-24, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
They play the weirdest shit in stores these days. A few years ago I was shopping at Walmart and they were playing Judas Priest. And at Kroger, I hear The Ramones being pipes in a lot. And I've heard other songs that I can't remember at the moment that seem like an odd fit for a Middle American grocery shopping soundtrack.

Old 03-29-24, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I’ll add on to that since you mentioned bluegrass - cross genre covers of songs (including bluegrass covers of pop songs) are usually better than the originals because the artists have to put real effort into making the song sound good in the new genre while still keeping the original feel of the song.

A polka cover of "Sweet Child of Mine".

Old 03-30-24, 08:23 AM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Everybody likes to say music from the past or when they were young was a lot better than it is now but there was crappy music back then too but you had time to research or look for the good stuff which probably nobody does as much when they get older.
Old 03-30-24, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I don't know if this will be considered an "unpopular" opinion here, but it is certainly unpopular with my wife.

I think that all Bluegrass, Blues and Reggae songs sound approximately the same within their genres. The nuances (if there are any) between songs are so slight that all three categories bore the shit out of me. If you have heard one song out of each these three, you have basically heard them all.

Country annoys the shit out of me, but I can at least tell a difference with a few of the artists and songs. But fuck country music.

I can stomach listening to Blues and Reggae but I just find them repetitive.

And fuck Bluegrass music too.
I'm 100% with you on all of this.

Old 03-30-24, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Here's my unpopular opinion (I am a lifelong lover of music, and sometimes musician):

Hatred of entire genres of music is lame.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kurt D:
DJariya (03-30-24), Laertes (04-26-24), Spiderbite (03-31-24), William Fuld (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Here's my unpopular opinion (I am a lifelong lover of music, and sometimes musician):

Hatred of entire genres of music is lame.
Counterpoint :
Old 03-30-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I don't consider myself a country music "fan" but I don't hate the genre. There are a few artists I like. Hate gets mentioned too much with country.

I like Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Lady A, Martina McBride, Shania Twain, and maybe a few others. But, I don't spew hate and think the genre sucks and such. Sure we all prefer different genres and that's totally cool.

I would 100% see Carrie Underwood in concert if there was an opportunity to do so near me and tickets aren't too expensive.

Old 03-30-24, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Allowed on a technicality!

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't consider myself a country music "fan" but I don't hate the genre. There are a few artists I like. Hate gets mentioned too much with country.

I like Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Lady A, Martina McBride, Shania Twain, and maybe a few others. But, I don't spew hate and think the genre sucks and such. Sure we all prefer different genres and that's totally cool.

I would 100% see Carrie Underwood in concert if there was an opportunity to do so near me and tickets aren't too expensive.
I'll admit, there is plenty of Country that I don't like, but much that I do like. KDogg is correct in an above post. No music is 'bad' there is just stuff you don't like.

In particular there is lots of AMAZING bluegrass music played by incredibly talented musicians.

Old 03-30-24, 06:47 PM

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
She is awesome in concert.
DJariya (03-30-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.