Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2023

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day 2023

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2023

Picked up Eric Dolphy: Musical Prophet - The Expanded 1963 New York Studio Sessions and The Cure: Show (picture disc) at one of our local record stores today. Did anyone else arrive a couple of hours early to get a good spot in line? Glad I did ...

Last edited by Toby Dramit; 04-22-23 at 03:25 PM. Reason: and let's hit opening time down on fascination street ...
Old 04-22-23, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I paid scalper prices for the Van Halen set. Hoping the Soul Asylum album will drop a little before I pick that one up. There’s a couple others that I’d like to have but they’re not RSD exclusives so I’ll just wait for a release if I can’t pick them up once stores post their remaining inventory tomorrow.
Old 04-22-23, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My youngest brother picked up the Our Lady Peace, Jason Isbell /Amanda Shires along with another Amanda Shires releases. He had the Scott Weiland release but put it back once he found Jason Isbell. He said he was around 50th in line this morning. I believe they had the Van Halen set at the store he went to as he texted me the price while he was looking around.

I believe a bunch of the people in front of him where there for the Taylor Swift and Grateful Dead releases.
Old 04-22-23, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah, I was fourth in line and two of the people ahead of me (and quite a few of the others behind us) were there for Taylor Swift. The guy right behind me was a KISS fan who was there for the Eric Carr release, only to find out that the store wasn't carrying it. Felt bad for him. I got the only copy they had of The Cure so I was happy about that. Picked up a vintage copy of Eric Dolphy: Copenhagen Concert in addition to Musical Prophet so it was a pretty good morning for me.

Last edited by Toby Dramit; 04-22-23 at 08:41 PM. Reason: hi-fly 1973 ...
Old 04-22-23, 08:43 PM

Do you know how much the Isbell album was? I had that on my list but was expecting a four song album to be
Old 04-22-23, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I would have been interested in the Pearl Jam release and maybe the Taylor Swift release for my fiancée.

Locally there’s a place that sells a pretty good selection of records but they’re not just a record store so they don’t participate in Record Store Day as far as getting the exclusives.

Pretty sure Pearl Jam has released some of their exclusives later on anyways so maybe I’ll wait it out. If not whatever I guess.
Old 04-22-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to the picture my brother texted me, the sticker says $18

[QUOTE=John Galt;14263674]Do you know how much the Isbell album was? I had that on my list but was expecting a four song album to be
Old 04-23-23, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

Did my usual, showed up a few hours after doors open (and still waited almost an hour to get into the store, what's up with that?), and got the ones from the top of my list: The Selecter*, Ramones, and Rich Kids. Didn't find The Donnas, Gen X, or Violent Femmes, but I'm not too upset about that. Might check some stores tomorrow for remnants, 'cuz sometimes they'll surprise you.

* - Yes, I know I originally showed disinterest in the live Selecter record, but this concert was recorded after their second and final record Celebrate the Bullet. A record which has grown on me recently. Most of the songs of this concert come from that record, so I was more interested than when it was first announced.
Old 04-23-23, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
According to the picture my brother texted me, the sticker says $18
That sounds right. I just didn’t expect the secondary markup to be as much as it was. I don’t mind paying others to go out and wait in line so I don’t have to, but $60 for four songs is nuts. Going to try for a few more albums this morning as stores release their remaining inventory online.
Old 04-23-23, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 914 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I paid scalper prices for the Van Halen set.
As this had a SRP of like $100, I'm almost afraid to ask.
Old 04-23-23, 07:34 AM

$135 plus tax and shipping came out to around $150.

No luck online this morning. Got my cart filled with all but one title I wanted at Bullmoose but by the time I went to checkout everything was out of stock. By the time I tried other websites, they were out of everything too.
Old 04-23-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started to check out the record store by brother went to yesterday while I was out. But I was afraid of actually finding something I might want so I skipped it.

Plus the store he went to has 4 of the recently released Type O Negative albums and my daughter would have drove me nuts to buy at least one of them.

By the way, the store I'm talking about is called Main St Records in Burlington John if you're ever in the area. Never been there myself as I don't usually buy a lot of vinyl, although I have picked up quite a few from Target clearance or B2G1 sales over the last couple of years.
Old 04-24-23, 08:49 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Did my usual, showed up a few hours after doors open (and still waited almost an hour to get into the store, what's up with that?), and got the ones from the top of my list: The Selecter*, Ramones, and Rich Kids. Didn't find The Donnas, Gen X, or Violent Femmes, but I'm not too upset about that. Might check some stores tomorrow for remnants, 'cuz sometimes they'll surprise you.

* - Yes, I know I originally showed disinterest in the live Selecter record, but this concert was recorded after their second and final record Celebrate the Bullet. A record which has grown on me recently. Most of the songs of this concert come from that record, so I was more interested than when it was first announced.
The Ramones is one I may end up getting. I wanted to see the reviews before buying but what I've read thus far has been quite positive.
Old 04-24-23, 10:15 AM

I think I ended up getting all but one title that was on my initial list. I might be getting an extra Soul Asylum since I didn’t have much faith in the inventory levels of the first purchase. There was a Reddit thread yesterday where people would post links to stores with inventory of certain titles. After going through a bunch of shops all over the country, I finally found the titles I wanted.

Kip Moore is the one I haven’t been able to locate. I wasn’t expecting a lot of demand for that, but it’s such low supply that I haven’t found it anywhere….it’s not even on eBay right now.

And after reading other purchases and looking a little more deeply at the titles, Ive added the Pearl Jam and Poe titles to my want list, but obviously nowhere to be found at this point.
Old 04-24-23, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Only one title I want...

Surprised it's getting a US release, as this band's RSD releases are usually UK-only.
I also got this...

And I'm glad I did - besides being a great record of obscure versions of classic songs, turns out it's one of the hardest to find RSD releases this time out.
Old 04-24-23, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
The Ramones is one I may end up getting. I wanted to see the reviews before buying but what I've read thus far has been quite positive.
I may have told this story before, but in my tween years my best friend's mom took us to the mall one time, the three of us were in the record store, and she had heard of a new release of Elvis rarities and asked what section it would be in. I started mockingly suggesting the "flogging a dead horse" section. Well, I do owe her an apology, because with all original Ramones taking a dirt nap, I'll chomp on any drop of previously unreleased material like a large-mouth bass.
Old 10-05-23, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The Black Friday 2023 list is out!

https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/10915
Old 10-05-23, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Not a whole lot, a couple of discs I want, and a couple that are marginal.

Definitely in for:

Judgment Night Soundtrack (red vinyl)

Nice collection of hip-hop and metal collaborations. Definitely upgrade from my CD.

Skid Row - B-Side Ourselves EP (yellow/black marble vinyl)

Don't have this on any format, and it will go nicely with the original "Side Row" S/T LP and RSD "Slave to the Grind" LP.

Death - Individual Thought Patterns (2023 Remaster)(White inside of ice black with splatter vinyl)

Need to know a bit more about this. This is a classic album and I already own it own vinyl, and I'm curious about the remaster. Also not sure what "White Inside of Black Ice with Splatter vinyl" is, but it sounds cool.

Also looks there's Motley Crue 12" single that I wouldn't mind owning if someone gave it to me as a gift, but the cover isn't anything special and it's all album tracks. "From Enslavement to Obliteration" from Napalm Death; like ND, but that's not my favorite album of theirs. And some kind of Matt Cameron project that I might pick up, but I need to know more about it.

Old 10-06-23, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The English Beat is a must-have.
Old 10-06-23, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 665 Posts

I would like to get that Eric Carr CD but with only 1000 being printed, I doubt I will have a chance.
Old 10-06-23, 03:55 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Nothing once again. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel with most of this crap. Live stuff is a crap shoot.
Old 10-06-23, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 914 Likes on 555 Posts

Yeah, I'll probably be skipping this one. Although I've had the MOV edition of the Judgment Night in my Amazon cart for (literally) years, watching for a lower price.
Old 10-06-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Black Friday list is underwhelming, but there are still a few things I want:

The Hold Steady 7"
Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
Meat Puppets - Forbidden Places
My Morning Jacket - Happy Holiday
Jazz Dispensary at the Movies (honestly, the JD compilations alone will get me to every RSD)
Judgment Night
Old 10-09-23, 09:48 AM

I have one OOP album that was selling for a nice price that's being reissued for RSD, so I'm already down $150 without even walking into a store.
Old 11-24-23, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How'd everyone do?

I couldn't find the live record by The Knack at any store, one I went to looked it up and said the distributor still had it listed, which means it probably didn't ship yet. She even said they were still getting deliveries of RSD exclusives today.

I got my most-wanted English Beat record, and since I got shut out on The Knack I decided to go with the live Sparks record. Finally, in the used bin I found Foxboro Hot Tubs. Then at another store I didn't get any RSD stuff but there's the new(?) self-titled Fishbone record, which has the same cover as their 1986 debut but with new songs and the faces of the (then) band members duct-taped over. It's odd, but I couldn't pass it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.