Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Loretta Lynn Dead at 90

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Loretta Lynn Dead at 90

Old 10-04-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 757 Likes on 460 Posts
Loretta Lynn Dead at 90

Loretta Lynn, coal minerís daughter and country queen, dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) ó Loretta Lynn, the Kentucky coal minerís daughter whose frank songs about life and love as a woman in Appalachia pulled her out of poverty and made her a pillar of country music, has died. She was 90.

In a statement provided to The Associated Press, Lynnís family said she died Tuesday at her home in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.

ďOur precious mom, Loretta Lynn, passed away peacefully this morning, October 4th, in her sleep at home in her beloved ranch in Hurricane Mills,Ē the family said in a statement. They asked for privacy as they grieve and said a memorial will be announced later.
Old 10-04-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Loretta Lynn Dead at 90

Not a fan of country music but still sad news. She had a fabulous career.

Loretta Lynn
Old 10-04-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 135 Posts

RIP. Had some great songs.
Old 10-04-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 396 Likes on 311 Posts

She'll be missed. Here's a performance of Portland, Oregon with her and Jack White on Letterman. It's one of my favorite Loretta Lynn songs.
Old 10-04-22, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

That entire Van Lear Rose album she did with Jack White is a masterpiece. Not even a big fan of country but that is one of my favorite albums.

Last edited by Eddie W; 10-04-22 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lwhy? (10-04-22)
Old 10-04-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Sad day. Big fan! I got to see her once in concert. 2001 in San Francisco, Buck Owens opened for her. Her tour bus was parked out front, so after the show I made it a point to run out there and wait by the bus, and I wasn't disappointed. She came walking down the sidewalk, holding up her dress on either side with a couple of bodyguards on each side. I held out an old beat up copy of her "Coal Miner's Daughter" book and a black Sharpie pen and asked if she would sign it.

She told me to wait until she got on the bus and she would do that for me. The bodyguard took the pen and book from me and handed it to her on the bus. A few minutes later, he handed me the signed book back. Loretta kept my pen!

Me and my friends hung out in Sf for a couple of hours and decided to drive by the venue and we saw her bus still out there. She was still signing autographs for fans!

In 2007 I went on a roadtrip with a friend from TX to TN. We made it a point to stop in Hurricane Mills to visit her restaurant (twice!). Really good Southern food. And we also went to her ranch up around the hill from there. We did the tour of her house and visited her museum there. Highly recommended!!
The following users liked this post:
William Fuld (10-04-22)
Old 10-05-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I wonder what the singer of "The Pill" thought about Trump appointing three Supreme Court Justices who overturned Roe V Wade since she was a big supporter?
Old 10-06-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I wonder what the singer of "The Pill" thought about Trump appointing three Supreme Court Justices who overturned Roe V Wade since she was a big supporter?
She was a Conservative Republican, and was good friends with Kid Rock (who is a Trump supporter). Hard to say. But she was in declining health in the last few years, so she may not have been aware or was paying much attention to it all. Who knows.
Old 10-06-22, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 308 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
That entire Van Lear Rose album she did with Jack White is a masterpiece. Not even a big fan of country but that is one of my favorite albums.
Now I am fascinated and must check this out. Never heard of it. But I hate country music so that could be why...
Old 10-07-22, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

RIP
My dad who is about the same age as Loretta Lynn was a big country and western music fan.
I did like a few country singers, Hank Jr, Willie Nelson, and a few others. But mostly rock music.
Old 10-07-22, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 167 Likes on 129 Posts

What a great career she had. RIP