Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2021 (June 12 and July 17)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day 2021 (June 12 and July 17)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2021 (June 12 and July 17)

Originally Posted by The Cow
Thanks. A few places around me, I might swing by.
Old 07-15-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I might be interested in The Ramones' "Triple J Live," but I'm unsure about the sound quality, and, if I want a Ramones live album, I'd just be better off getting "It's Alive!"

That Clash interview album sounds kind of interesting, but doesn't seem like something I'd want to pay a premium price for.
Old 07-15-21, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

^ If you're a casual fan of the Ramones, It's Alive is indeed all you need. It doesn't contain two of their most popular songs, Rock N Roll High School and I Wanna Be Sedated, but it's a high quality recording of the "golden era" of the bands, namely their first three records. I just friggin' love the band though, and with everyone but Marky dead, there won't be any more songs from this band coming out. Ever.

When I was in my early 20s, the Ramones would play my upstate NY city every 2-3 months, more or less. Reason I bring that up is that the setlist rarely varied. Yet we still went to see them anyway. So if a new record comes out with just one song different than It's Alive, as I already mentioned in this thread, shut up and take my money!
Old 07-16-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap. The Lillingtons' record, the one I figure I most have a chance of getting, is a seriously limited run of just 641 copies.

I've prioritized my want list that I posted a few days ago as such:
1. The Sweet
2. The Selecter
3. The Lillingtons
4. Ramones
5. The Clash

Not an indication of my preference of those particular bands mind you, because if it was it would be significantly different. Just how much I value tomorrow's releases.
Old 07-16-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw a video on youtube from a record store, and quite a few releases from the July date have been delayed.

Looks like the RSD website has updated their list to reflect this, so anyone looking for something in particular might want to double check before heading out tomorrow. At least three titles I was interested in (Judas Priest, Cro-Mags, All Them Witches) were delayed.

Unsure how they will handle this, if these titles will trickle out over the coming weeks/months, or if they'll held back for the next Record Store Day.

https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/583
Old 07-16-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a video from a record store that names the delayed items:

Spoiler:

And here's the list:

RSD Delayed items.
-Removed All Them Witches - Live On The Internet (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Bjork - BJORK X THE HAMRAHLÍÐ CHOIR (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Charlie Parker - Bird In LA (2xCD) (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Charlie Parker - Bird In LA (4xLP) (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel ( I HAVE THIS TITLE FOR RSD) Not sure if dropped off the official list? But I have them for RSD
-Removed Dire Straits - Encores (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Jamiroquai - Everybody's Going To The Moon
-Removed Jerry Garcia Band - Jerry Garcia Band (30th Anniversary)
-Removed Joe Perry - Sweetzerland Manifesto 2.0
-Removed John Carpenter - Ghosts of Mars (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Judas Priest - Best Of (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed King's X - Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Mastodon - Fallen Torches (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Michael Kamen - The Iron Giant (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Mr. Big - Lean Into It (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Paul Ortíz y la Orquesta Son - Los Que Son (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Styles P - Float (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Tav Falco - Club Car Zodiac (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Tesla - Mechanical Resonance (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed The Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F. - the found '77 masters (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Various Artists - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Various Artists - You Can't Sit Down: Cameo Parkway Dance Crazes 1958-1964 (U.K. Collection)
-Removed Various Artists - You Got The Power: Cameo Parkway Northern Soul 1964-1967 (U.K. Collection)
-Removed Vince Guaraldi Trio - Baseball Theme (Will be released at a later date)
-Removed Wailing Souls - Wailing (Will be released at a later date)
Old 07-16-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, with all those delays, I think everyone should STAY HOME tomorrow, especially if they're in the Southern California region.
Old 07-17-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I went out early since our LRS didn't do his call-in system. Got to store about 5:45am and was 10th in line. Only wanted Foo/Dee Gees, but picked up Del Casher/OST Italian Stallion, Fred Armisen, Pearl Jam/Alive, Karen O Willie Nelson/Under Pressure and the Dee Gees.

Not bad for me.
Old 07-17-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best. Record Store Day. Ever.

Visited 5 stores and got 4/5 of my want list. Only The Sweet eludes me, off to the 'cogs I go. Also in my noodling around the stores I went to I got a really clean copy of The Kinks' Arthur, a live bootleg record of The Clash in Japan from 1982, and the Repo Man tribute from RSD Drop 1, but for 50% off.

Why was it the best ever though? Well because I also got the E-mail address of the stunningly gorgeous girl behind me in line from the first store, and we're already chatting.
Old 07-17-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

St Vincent - Piggy/Sad But True 7" - $8

Nice single. Both covers are great. I'm always up for an interesting 7" single.

Pearl Jam - Alive 12" - $15

Store had a ton of these.

Ani DiFranco - Ani DiFranco 2xLP - $24

Haven't listened to this yet, but I can't wait to hear it on vinyl. Should sound spectacular. This is on yellow/black splatter vinyl, and I kind of wish it was just plain black vinyl, but whatever.

Sisters of Mercy - BBC Sessions (Smokey Vinyl LP) - $22

Haven't ripped into this yet, but I'm looking foward to listening to it. With the smokey vinyl, this should be a nice package. Veritable bargain at $22.

The Dee Gees/Foo Fighters - Hail Satin - $23

Really nice album cover; holofoil like the Sword album from a month ago. I think this got allocated despite a huge print run. And, like Sisters above, the price was right on this.

Tad - Inhaler - $32

Impulse purchase for me here. The only other Tad vinyl album I have is 8-Way Santa (with the banned cover), so I figured I'd give it a companion. It's on muddy-colored vinyl, which is appropriate for 90s grunge. Kind of weird that this my most expensive purchase.

Cro-Mags - Age of Quarrel - $24

Well, this wasn't supposed to be out today, but my store received copies. It was removed from the list, and, according to youtube videos, some stores didn't get any while others did. There was some controversy surrounding this release; Harley was complaining about not receiving royalties for this album. Wonder if they pulled this at the last minute, but a lot of copies got sent out anyway.

I'm actually kind of floored how inexpensive my haul was. St. Vincent was under ten bucks, Pearl Jam under fifteen, and everything else was well under thirty except for Tad. A little under $150 for seven pieces.

PASSED ON:

The Clash - If Music Could Talk

Didn't really seem like it was worth the $36 asking price. Sandinista isn't my favorite Clash album, anyway, so... eh. Maybe if this cost half as much I'd pick it up as an oddity/collectible. Store had quite a few copies, so maybe I can pop in in a few weeks and get it at a discount.

The Cure - Wild Mood Swings (Picture Disc)

Don't have this one on vinyl, and the album is probably my least favorite Cure album, so now way in hell am I paying forty bucks for it on a picture disc. (And the album cover is awful to boot...) Like "If Music Could Talk," I might consider this at a fifty percent discount. I do have all of The Cure albums on vinyl -- minus this one -- through "Bloodflowers."

Dio - God Hates Heavy Metal (Picture Disc)

Didn't see any of these in the store, but I probably would have passed anyway.

Old 07-18-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

PASSED ON:

Didn't really seem like it was worth the $36 asking price. Sandinista isn't my favorite Clash album, anyway, so... eh. Maybe if this cost half as much I'd pick it up as an oddity/collectible. Store had quite a few copies, so maybe I can pop in in a few weeks and get it at a discount.
Yeah, I'm hoping I don't regret that one. Like I mentioned it was my lowest priority, and after getting my more preferred discs, I moved over to the C section. There was a guy digging and he asked what I was looking for, when I told him The Clash, he grabbed one of the many copies they had and handed it to me. Unlike say, my most desired title, The Sweet. When I asked store workers if there were any copies, they said "nope, long gone" (and I was on line when they opened).

So I just bit on one on the 'cogs for $45, which is $10 above list. We'll find out in a few weeks if I overpaid.

Also, my #2 title, The Selecter, that was available at every store I went to, so clearly not a hot ticket item. Lucked out on The Lillingtons though. The store I got it at only got one copy, and it wasn't my first stop. I got there two hours after they opened, and that lone copy was still there. Even the store owner did not know it was such a short run of 641 copies total.
Old 07-19-21, 09:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I picked up several and got all that I was after -- overall was pretty good (and not too busy at the couple shops I frequent).

Bobbie Gentry
Johnny Paycheck
Monkees 1-3
Gun Club
The Beatfarmers
Small Faces
Raven
The Sweet
Old 07-19-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you know I have to dislike you for so casually finding that Sweet record, right? Unless you were at those stores at 6AM. I arrived at 8 and took two hours to get inside. Four more stores before 1PM and nada. Ended up paying a $10 markup plus 5 more for shipping from a flipper.
Old 07-20-21, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

well, I got The Dirty Knobs "humdinger" 7" which was limited to 2500 copies last night so I'm happy. No more FOMO.
Old 07-20-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

This was a shitty RSD for me. Picked up Hawkwind and Hillbillies In Hell, but I missed out in CSNY, the Monkees & Sweet. Guess I’ll be paying flipper prices this year.
Old 07-20-21, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Got Sisters of Mercy at my regular spot and had to make a trip to a lesser known spot to get the "Dee Gees" album. Both are worth the price. Apparently Hail Satin was a bigger deal than most thought , as it is already going on ebay for a minimum of $200.
Old 07-21-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Got Sisters of Mercy at my regular spot and had to make a trip to a lesser known spot to get the "Dee Gees" album. Both are worth the price. Apparently Hail Satin was a bigger deal than most thought , as it is already going on ebay for a minimum of $200.
Yeah, I have a few friends who came up short on the Dee Gee's. Sucks, because I had my wife with me, and could have easily grabbed a 2nd copy of it...possibly more, if we'd hit a 2nd store.
Old 08-02-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

PASSED ON:

Re-replying to this. You made the right call.

I've only listened to the first two sides, Paul and Mick. Paul's interview was good, Mick seemed totally out of it. The songs so far have been Junco Partner, One More Time, Hitsville UK, and Magnificent Seven. Not sure what sides 3 and 4 have in store for me, but probably not enough to justify the $35 I paid for it. Especially since there will probably only be 4 more songs (and one of them had better be Police on my Back, but that seems like it would fit in better with the Mick interview, wouldn't you think?)

Sandinista is a bloated album, and I was looking forward to a stripped down, maybe 10-12 song version with the interviews spliced in, but I'm gonna be lucky to get 8 songs on this.
Old 09-18-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished my RSD 2021 want list, with the Police Live ('79) from Discogs for $62. Most I've ever spent on a single record, but it's really been scarce and very few US sellers. I doubt it will ever go below $50 like I'd hoped, and that will be for a used copy in a year or so. At this point, the extra $12 so I can have a new copy seems like it's the best I'll ever do.
Old 09-20-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

has the black Friday list come out yet? I've seen some rumblings online about it lately.
Old 09-20-21, 10:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
has the black Friday list come out yet? I've seen some rumblings online about it lately.
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the Black Friday list screamed to me "Go ahead and sleep off that turkey coma, Paff"

I'll see if I can find that Fleetwood Mac record at some point, probably have to go online after the fact. But since I doubt I'll get anything else, I don't mind overpaying.
The following users liked this post:
emanon (09-21-21)
Old 09-20-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty thin offering for Black Friday.

Aerosmith: 1971 The Road Show Starts Hear -- "A historic early recording of Aerosmith in their rehearsal room - just the band, crew and friends captured on Joe Perry's tape recorder." Yeah, that's a pass for me. Not how this can't sound like shit if it's a live set recorded on an old tape recorder.

Evanescence - Evanescence - Purple Smoke vinyl. Maybe. Don't have this album on any format. I'll give it a listen and see if I want to add it to my collection.

Dio - Holy Diver & Last in Line
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden - Pictures discs. Meh. If these are just the regular album cover art, my old LPs of these will look and sound better than a picture disc.

Looks like they're also dumping some stuff that didn't get released over the summer.

Only things I might be interested in are Evanescence, Best of Judas Priest (only if the cover is really bitchin'), and All Them Witches.

I might end up sitting this one out. The three titles I'm interested in all seem skippable.

Old 11-26-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone bother?

I headed out around noon and hit 4 stores. Didn't find my one "want", the live Fleetwood Mac record, till the third store, but I bought one record at every stop anyway.
Record City: a gorgeous and clean 80s pressing of the soundtrack to The Harder They Come
M-Theory: Descendents - 9th and Walnut
Normal Records: Fleetwood Mac Live
Vinyl Junkies Record Shack - The Dickies Best of Live ('02 live recording, with Olga of the Toy Dolls filling in on bass....unfortunately "Nellie the Elephant" isn't included on the album though)
Old 11-27-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Picked up Isbell’s Georgia Blue. Wasn’t about to go stand in line for one album but picked this up online through a record store’s remaining inventory this morning. Well worth the $6 shipping to stay home Friday morning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.