Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2021 (June 12 and July 17)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Two day event this summer; June 12 and July 17. Don't think they're doing a Black Friday this year.

Complete list of all releases:

https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/9578

The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2021 (June 12 and July 17)

I was pretty happy going through the list; nothing I really wanted or needed, other than the Buzzcocks record. Yay! Get to sleep in that day.

Then I start seeing live records by The Police, another live record from the Ramones, The Selecter, a collection of rough mixes by Sweet, and suddenly these are turning into two very expensive days for me. That I'll probably have to be there at 8AM if I want even half of the stuff I'm looking at.
Old 04-07-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My shopping list for this summer:

JUNE 12

L7 - THE BEAUTY PROCESS TRIPLE PLATINUM (Platinum Vinyl)

Not my favorite L7 album, though I don't have it on vinyl, so I'll likely grab this one. The platinum-colored vinyl also sounds like it will look nice.

MOTORHEAD ST VALENTINES DAY MASSACRE (Pictrure Disc)

I have several Motorhead picture discs from RSD, so I'll add this one to my collection.

STILLWATER - DEMOS EP (Red Transluscent Vinyl)

This is more of an interesting artifact/collectible. I'm kind of on the fence about it, but it's also something I'll probably regret not picking up if I pass it over...

THE SWORD - AGE OF WINTERS (Purple Frost Vinyl)

Good album that I don't own on vinyl, so this is a no-brainer. The purple frost vinyl also sound like it will look pretty cool.

WASTED YOUTH - REAGAN'S IN (Colored Vinyl)

Early punk album I don't own in any format. I need more punk LPs in my collection, so I'll probably get this. Pushead art, too!

JOEY RAMONE - DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME (Black and Pink Splatter vinyl)

Sounds like a cool package even though I'm not a hardcore Ramones fan or collector. I don't think I've ever heard this album, but it might make a good blind buy. Still tempted to seek it out line and listen to it before I buy, though.

OPETH - MORNINGRISE (2X LP/Transluscent Turquoise vinyl)

Already own this on LP, but the colored vinyl piques my interest. Double LP for only five songs... yeah, that's Opeth.

JULY 17

CRO-MAGS - AGE OF QUARRELL

Classic NYHC album I don't own on vinyl, so this is a must-buy.

ANI DIFRANCO - ANI DIFRANCO (Double LP)

I don't own any Ani DiFranco on vinyl (I think it's all mostly OOP now?) and this is a good place to start. Just Ani's voice and an acoustic guitar; this should sound spectacular on vinyl. Really need to pick up "Out of Range," "Not a Pretty Girl," and "Dilate." Hopefully we'll see reissues soon.

DIO - GOD HATES HEAVY METAL (Picture Disc)

Big maybe here. The song here isn't from my favorite Dio album, so I'll only snag this if the picture disc looks cool and the price is right.

JUDAS PRIEST - BEST OF JUDAS PRIEST (Embossed Cover/Clear and Black Vinyl with Gold Splatter)

I'd normally pass over this "Best of" album, as it only contains songs from Priest's first two albums which I already own, but this sounds like a really awesome package. Embossed cover art, with the album itself on clear and black vinyl with gold splatters. Sounds like this will be another gorgeous package like 2018's "Rocka Rolla" with green translucent vinyl and an embossed cover, and last year's "Sad Wings of Destiny," which I wasn't planning on buying until I saw the embossed cover in the store.

PEARL JAM - ALIVE (12" Single/Etched)

The b-sides make this a must-buy.

We're also getting picture discs of the two RJD Sabbath albums, "Heaven and Hell," and "Mob Rules," but I'll pass on the picture discs unless they're something really spectacular. Already own them on vinyl. Ditto The Cure, with "Seventeen Seconds," and "Wild Mood Swings." I already own "Seventeen Seconds," and I don't think I need "Wild Mood Swings," on vinyl. The audio quality of picture discs is sketchy, as is their durability, so they're basically just pretty collectibles.

I also noticed a RSD edition of Lamb of God's "As the Palaces Burn," on splatter vinyl. I'd consider picking this up, but I already own the album on vinyl, so unless it looks really cool, it's a pass for me. Opeth will get the fanboy indulgence here.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-07-21 at 04:44 PM. Reason: ETA - Three albums I missed the first time around. Gah!
Old 04-07-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
I was pretty happy going through the list; nothing I really wanted or needed, other than the Buzzcocks record. Yay! Get to sleep in that day.

Then I start seeing live records by The Police, another live record from the Ramones, The Selecter, a collection of rough mixes by Sweet, and suddenly these are turning into two very expensive days for me. That I'll probably have to be there at 8AM if I want even half of the stuff I'm looking at.
I might consider that Sweet album; the only Sweet I have on vinyl is "The Sweet" and "Desolation Boulevard," and that seems like enough -- covers most of their biggest songs. I'm always kind of iffy on these "demos and rough mixes" albums; I don't think I've heard any that are superior to the finished product, and they seem more like curiosities that should be included on a bonus disc on a deluxe release. It falls it to that "sort of interesting, but I'll probably pass" category for me.

And you said The Police and The Ramones, and I was like, "I didn't see those bands listed," and realized I clicked past the sixth page of releases. The RSD site is kind of screwy, when you lick a page number it takes me to that page, but doesn't go to the top of the page.

And now I have that Opeth "Morningrise," Pearl Jam "Alive," and Joey Ramone "Don't Worry About Me," to consider. The Pearl Jam is a must-buy, I already have that Opeth (the turquoise vinyl is tempting!), and I'll have to listen to the Joey Ramone solo album before I make a final decision.

And that Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks," sounds like a nice package, but I already own it on regular vinyl, and it'll probably be expensive as hell, to boot.

Old 04-07-21, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I might consider that Sweet album; the only Sweet I have on vinyl is "The Sweet" and "Desolation Boulevard," and that seems like enough -- covers most of their biggest songs. I'm always kind of iffy on these "demos and rough mixes" albums; I don't think I've heard any that are superior to the finished product, and they seem more like curiosities that should be included on a bonus disc on a deluxe release. It falls it to that "sort of interesting, but I'll probably pass" category for me.
You're not wrong here, but I get suckered in by them anyway. Even though I do listen to and like a lot of current artists, most of the bands I like were big in the 70s and/or 80s. Not so much now. Either they're gone completely (too many dead members), they release stuff that pales in comparison to their old material, or they're a tribute band of themselves except with none of the energy they once had and they can't even hit the notes they once did. Hence why I have like FIVE live records by the Ramones, six if I buy this upcoming one, and pretty much every record has an identical set list. Oh, this one has "We Want the Airwaves" which isn't on any other live record? Shut up and take my money!

I did get a few of the "alternate" Fleetwood Mac records at past RSDs, which is basically rehearsal versions of the finished product. And while they're not as polished you do get that "in the studio" feel which is really cool.

A final argument is that if these versions/songs were any good, then THAT'S what the band would have released as the final product. They're previously unreleased for a reason. I do not buy this. For proof, find the song "Where's My Snake" by Bow Wow Wow if you're a fan of that band (and everyone should be). Not on any album, not even a B-side on their many singles. Only started getting pressed on a few "Best of" compilations post 2000. But I'll be damned if that's not one of their best songs. I can only assume someone in the band or management didn't like it, but I think it's aces.

And that Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks," sounds like a nice package, but I already own it on regular vinyl, and it'll probably be expensive as hell, to boot.
Oh c'mon. Don't be such a cheapskate. It's not like they'd charge $100 for a new copy of Let It Bleed or anything....
Old 04-08-21, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

In for the Tom Petty She’s the One soundtrack.
Old 04-08-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I just read on another forum the Tom Petty Soundtrack will be the replacement for the original version of Shes the one Soundtrack and the original will only be available on digital platforms moving forward. this release is cobalt blue and will almost surely be followed up by a regular vinyl release. They are dropping the tracks that made it on All The Rest and including 4 new tracks and a new version of an old track. It was mixed by Ryan DeToponga who has done the mixing on a lot of the projects in the past so I'm somewhat excited about this release. Glad I have a CD and vinyl of the original versions, have to wonder if they will turn into collectibles like the original vinyl of WF was. Ironicly Thirteen Days belongs on All the Rest but was not released there for 'reasons' LOL

1 Angel Dream (No. 2)
2 Grew Up Fast
3 Change the Locks
4 Zero From Outer Space
5 *******
6 One of Life’s Little Mysteries
7 Walls (No. 3)
8 Thirteen Days
9 105 Degrees
10 Climb That Hill
11 Supernatural Radio (Extended Version)
12 French Disconnection
Old 04-08-21, 03:40 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I used to be all in on the Grateful Dead life vinyl, but too much of it involves songs that are split between two sides. Now I don’t hardly bother. I’d rather listen to a cd or digital version of that, and stick to studio stuff for vinyl.
And the Dead stuff and Jerry Garcia stuff is about the only stuff on this list I might have considered.
Old 04-16-21, 05:18 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^^I ended up ordering the She’s the One soundtrack from deepdiscount for $17 using a 15% off code. I haven’t seen it in stock anywhere else and no idea why it’s going for so much on ebay/Amazon, but I got a shipping notice so I’m assuming it’s legit and in stock. I’ll still pick up the new version on RSD but wanted to grab the other before it goes OOP.
Old 06-10-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming up this weekend.

I will not be setting the alarm on Saturday (but I probably will be for July). Gonna head down around noon or so, really just looking for the Buzzcocks and Police records, and if I get either one I'll call it a success.
Old 06-12-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I was 15th in line and got everything I wanted (Including several that were the last ones*)

Garbage
The Police (both)*
Buzzcocks*
Red, Hot & Blue*
Rage
U2
plus
Goldleaf version of X Wild Gift
Old 06-12-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two records for me this drop: Jack, and Shit. And they were sold out of Jack.

Seriously, didn't find a thing. Went a little late, so it's certainly my own fault, but the lines were crazy. Record City was line up all the way down the block at 11:45, 45 minutes after opening. M-Theory still had 15 people waiting outside the store at 12:45, that's 3+ HOURS after opening. Ran some other errands instead, and by the time I finally got in there was very little left, certainly not the ones I wanted. Based on the post above mine, I would have had to been there right at opening anyway if I wanted those Police and Buzzcocks records.
Old 06-13-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fourteen (FOURTEEN!!!???!!!) purchases for me this year. I picked up six releases on Saturday, then came back Sunday and got eight more.

When I went in Saturday to buy my stuff, my record store guy told me it was a slow day. Don't know if it was because the pandemic restrictions have loosened and people wanted to do something else other than wait in line at a record store, if there was something else going on that day that kept people away, or if people just didn't know RSD was happening. I felt kind of bad, and came back Sunday to buy some more stuff and help the store out. (And there were quite a few decent releases this year, I went ahead and picked up eight more titles that I passed on the first time, but still had an interest in.)

Anyone have similar experiences at stores, or was mine an outlier?

Anyway...

Saturday Purchases...

SWORD - AGE OF WINTERS

This has to win the award for the prettiest RSD release. Nice purple frost vinyl, with a holofoil enhanced cover. Even the sword the lady on the cover is holding has foil on it. Lovely package; looks amazing in person. Record store guy thinks he sold a couple of these based on the cover alone to people who aren't even metal fans.

L7 - BEAUTY PROCESS: TRIPLE PLATINUM

MOTORHEAD/GIRLSCHOOL - ST VALENTINES DAY MASSACRE

Generally pick up every Motorhead release that I can. Nice little package with the three songs by Motorhead and Girlschool.

JOEY RAMONE - DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME

Went back and forth on this one, but finally decided to get it. Okay album, and it will make a nice addition to my Ramones collection. The pink/black vinyl looks nice, too.

OPETH - MORNINGRISE

Nice blue/turquoise-colored vinyl on this one. Already own the general release, so I might end up eBaying the old black vinyl copy if this one sounds the same, or better. The old release is kind of rare and sells in the neighborhood of $100... might end up keeping it, too.

REPO MAN - TRIBUTE

Blind buy for me here. Saw it in-store, and figured I'd give it a chance. Have an old 80s pressing of the Repo Man soundtrack on vinyl, and the CD that came with the DVD in the Anchor Bay tin (remember those?). Should make a nice companion to my soundtrack LP, though I am a bit concerned about the audio quality. I've always heard that glow-in-the-dark records sound bad because the glow powder that gets mixed into the vinyl produced surface noise, but my glow-in-the-dark LP of the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack sounds fine. Haven't listed to this yet, though. I think the only track I've heard is Amanda Palmer's cover of "Institionalized."

Sunday Purchases...

STRUTS - STRANGE DAYS

Saw these guys open up for the Foo Fighters a few years ago, and was impressed. Singer does a great impression of 70s-era Freddy Mercury. Should probably be on the lookout for their other two LPs.

WASTED YOUTH - REAGAN'S IN

I wasn't going to pick this up, but the price was about twenty dollars, and I can use a few more classic punk records in my collection.

MUDHONEY/MEATPUPPETS

Seven inch single. Only eight bucks, and I like both bands.

NEON CHRIST 1984

Blind buy. Missed this on the website, but saw it in-store and the William DuVall (new Alice in Chains singer) connection, and figured I'd give it a shot.

ORANGE GOBLIN - EULOGY FOR THE DAMNED

Another blind buy. Looked sort of interesting. Liked the cover. Haven't listened to it yet, though.

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN LIVE IN LIVERPOOL

I wasn't planning on getting this, but the cover, combined with the clear vinyl, seemed like it would make a nice package. 2001 recording, so it should sound good. Decent tracklist, though I would have liked "People are Strange" to have been included, but it probably wasn't part of the setlist.

JOE STRUMMER - JUNCO PARTNER PICTURE DISC

Not my favorite Clash song, but it's a Joe Strummer/Clash curiosity, and I can give it a good home.

DEF LEPPARD LIVE IN OXFORD

Another kind-of-blind buy here. Should be a nice chunk of NWOBHM history and should make a nice companion piece to my "Def Leppard: The Collection Volume 1" boxed set.
Old 06-13-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN LIVE IN LIVERPOOL

I wasn't planning on getting this, but the cover, combined with the clear vinyl, seemed like it would make a nice package. 2001 recording, so it should sound good. Decent tracklist, though I would have liked "People are Strange" to have been included, but it probably wasn't part of the setlist.

Held this in my hand at Record City but ultimately put it back when I saw it was a 2001 concert. Had it been from the 80s I'd have been all over it.

As for the omission of People are Strange (let me take a wild guess....The Lost Boys is one of your favorite movies), it could also be a rights issue since they did not write that song. There's probably a very narrow list of how they're allowed to release it.
Old 06-14-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As for the omission of People are Strange (let me take a wild guess....The Lost Boys is one of your favorite movies), it could also be a rights issue since they did not write that song. There's probably a very narrow list of how they're allowed to release it.

The Lost Boys is a decent vampire flick, but it's not one of my favorite movies. I'm actually more of a Doors fan than I am a Lost Boys fan, and I've always liked that cover, the song fit their style really well. I think I heard their cover of the song before I saw the movie, but I was probably twelve or so at the time and my memory is hazy.

I just checked wikipedia, and it looks like "People are Strange" shows up on quite a few of their compilation albums, but I don't see it on any live albums.
Old 06-14-21, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

If I can find either the 12” or cassette version of Pearl Jam: Alive I’ll get it. Nothing I desperately want though.
Old 06-17-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I was 15th in line and got everything I wanted (Including several that were the last ones*)

Garbage
The Police (both)*
Buzzcocks*
Red, Hot & Blue*
Rage
U2
plus
Goldleaf version of X Wild Gift
Hey, do you remember offhand how much you paid for the Buzzcocks' record? (and for that matter, the Police records?)

I just bit on a Discogs copy for $39.99, figuring it probably would have set me back $35 anyway had I found it last Saturday. An extra $5 markup (plus shipping...grrrr) isn't too heinous.
Old 06-18-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Hey, do you remember offhand how much you paid for the Buzzcocks' record? (and for that matter, the Police records?)

I just bit on a Discogs copy for $39.99, figuring it probably would have set me back $35 anyway had I found it last Saturday. An extra $5 markup (plus shipping...grrrr) isn't too heinous.
You got a better price than me. I think it was in the $50's! The Police were $43?
Old 06-18-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
You got a better price than me. I think it was in the $50's! The Police were $43?
No shit? Wow, that's good news then! Just an FYI, there's plenty of copies of the Buzzcocks' record on Discogs in that $50 neighborhood. Sure there's some people trying to get $75 or more, but most hover around $50.

Police record (79, the one I'm more interested in), that one's a lot higher. But good to know the baseline, if it gets below $50 I'll jump on it.
Old 06-18-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Yeah, I missed out on the Police records, and have been checking on discogs as well. Too pricey for me at this point.
Old 06-18-21, 03:07 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

If only I was a vinyl guy, I am so tempted by that The Sword album. Amazon has it for $80 (which is not that much higher than what a Malaysian seller on Discogs is asking including S&H), and I listen to Sirius Octane all the time so I am confident I would enjoy the music (rock/metal/heavy metal), but I have no way to play the record...and $80 bucks, sigh. I have no problem admitting that just based on the packaging alone it would be neat to own this Vinyl release.
Old 06-18-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
If only I was a vinyl guy, I am so tempted by that The Sword album. Amazon has it for $80 (which is not that much higher than what a Malaysian seller on Discogs is asking including S&H), and I listen to Sirius Octane all the time so I am confident I would enjoy the music (rock/metal/heavy metal), but I have no way to play the record...and $80 bucks, sigh. I have no problem admitting that just based on the packaging alone it would be neat to own this Vinyl release.
You can buy a turntable anywhere, anytime. Best Buy, Amazon, Craigslist, E-bay, audio specialty shops, some record stores, etc.

But can you buy this album anywhere or anytime?
Old 07-13-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Drop 2 coming up this weekend.

Won't be going to M-Theory at the butt-crack of dawn, but I'm gonna try to head there around 8 or 9. Hopefully with no more Covid restrictions it'll move a little faster. I'm hoping for:

Ramones
The Clash
The Selecter
Sweet
The Lillingtons

Of those, I'm thinking only The Lillingtons will be an easy find, other four will probably require a Discogs search (and requisite screw-job markup) sometime next week.
Old 07-13-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Is there a site to put in your zip code and find participating locations? I’m in the Chicago suburbs.
Old 07-13-21, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is there a site to put in your zip code and find participating locations? I’m in the Chicago suburbs.
https://recordstoreday.com/Stores

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.