Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 954 Likes on 728 Posts
Re: Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

Goddamn it. Weeks of thinking about it have pushed the live Who record into the "MUST HAVE!!" category for me. That, a new Young Fresh Fellows record, and an old record by the Electric Six when they were called The Wildbunch now have me considering setting the alarm for Saturday.

That said, I got to M-Theory at 8 last time, waited for nearly an hour to get in, and I'd say only half a dozen people got in line behind me. I won't show up at 8, I'll probably show up after 9 and walk right in. If they don't have what I want, I'll skip over to Record City (opens at 11) and just camp there.
Old 10-24-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

I got Bob Mould and Austin Powers, but missed out on Koyaanisqatsi (my store got 1 out of the 10 he ordered)...I ordered from Amoeba so fingers crossed that they ship it. (I also grabbed This Are Two Tone that was left over from last RSD and a couple other non-RSD stuff)
Old 10-24-20, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost made it another early one; my cat woke me up at 6, and when I wasn't able to immediately go back to sleep I debated just getting up and parking myself on line. But I eventually drifted off again and woke up at a reasonable 9AM.

Got to M-Theory around 10 (they open at 8 on RSD), and like I'd predicted, no line. No live Who record, but I did get the Young Fresh Fellows record, the new Fleshtones, and the live at the Whisky Cheap Trick.

Did about a 45 minute wait at Record City since he doesn't open till 11 and got my desired Who record.

Normal Records had nothing interesting left, but Folk Arts still had two copies of the garage rock comp so I grabbed that.

Only thing I missed out on was The Wildbunch (Electric Six), and I'm willing to bet that none of the stores I went to had it anyway.
Old 10-24-20, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was my total RSD 2020 haul:

The Pretenders - Live at the Paradise Theater 1980
Lisa Loeb - A Simple Trick to Happiness
Fleetwood Mac - The Alternative Rumours
Ramones - It's Alive 2
Replacements - The Complete Inconcerated Live
This Are Two Tone
Double Whammy! - A 1960s Garage Rock Rave-up
Cheap Trick - Out to Get You! (live 1977)
The Fleshtones - Face of the Screaming Werewolf
Young Fresh Fellows - Toxic Youth
The Who - Odds and Sods
The Who - A Quick Live One

No way would I buy that many records on one day in April. Bravo, RSD. Now for another package of Top Ramen for dinner, like it will be every night for the next two weeks.
Old 10-25-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Yesterday I picked up:
Grateful Dead 5/9/77 Buffalo, NY
Miles Davis - Double Image: Rare Miles From the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions

Both are really damn good. The Dead show was performed the day after the Cornell show, which is also on vinyl and is regarded as the best concert they ever did. Fall of 1977 in general is Grateful Dead at their best.
Old 10-25-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

My haul this week was bigger than I planned.

CLUTCH - THE OBELISK

Unboxing video of this beast:
Spoiler:

This is a thing of pure fucking beauty. And, at around $230, it's a real bargain, too. Eleven albums over sixteen LPs. Plus a really nice box, a turntable mat, and an autographed print. I'm sort of afraid to open it...

INFECTIOUS GROOVES - TAKE YOU ON A RIDE

Nice little EP on transluscent oragne vinyl. I was a fan of Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves back in the day; might need to seek out their first couple of records on vinyl (if they exist and aren't too rare).

DEVILDRIVER - WINTER KILLS

Went ahead and bit on this.

And stuff I wasn't planning on picking up, but did anyway. The store normally limits each person to three RSD items, but turnout was low because of the pandemic and shitty weather that they were ignoring that policy. Had my gf with me, so it wouldn't have made any difference, anyway.

JUDAS PRIEST - SAD WINGS OF DESTINY

I already have this on new vinyl, but it just looked so awesome that I couldn't pass it up. The cover is embossed, so I'm not sure how I should store it. I don't want the embossing on the cover to get rubbed and scuffed, so I might have to put it on the wall. Haven't opened it yet, and I may not since it's my second copy.

SKID ROW - SLAVE TO THE GRIND

I'm not the biggest Skid Row fan, but this album is well-regarded, and, like Sad Wings above, it just looked so beautiful that I couldn't pass it up. I have their first album on vinyl from my Columbia House days, so now it has some company.

ROLLING STONES - METAMORPHOSIS

This one slipped right under my radar; didn't know it existed until I saw it in the RSD section. Complete impulse buy for me, but I'm sort of a sucker for "rarities" collections. Only have a handful of Rolling Stones LPs in my collection, so acquiring this will be a good excuse to fill out the catalog. All I have are "Hot Rocks," "Exile on Main Street," "Let it Bleed," and "Tattoo You."

...about $370 before tax. But I did get some pretty neat stuff, and I haven't been spending much money this year.

Old 10-25-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

And my purchases from August:

MOTORHEAD - ACE OF SPADES/DIRTY LOVE 7" Picture Disc

BOB MARLEY - REDEMPTION SONG 12"

And my purchases from September:

BLACK CROWES - JEALOUS AGAIN 12"

NATIVITY IN BLACK: A BLACK SABBATH TRIBUTE

So I've dropped about $450 this round.

And there's more shit coming for Black Friday next month!

Gah!

Old 10-30-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I totally spaced on this past RSD, so I bought my only must-have from an ebay reseller. I got that Tres Vampires disc - the one w/ David J and Johnette Napolitano trying to crack the vampire movie soundtrack market.
Old 06-02-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, finally completed my 2020 RSD collection, by purchasing the live David Bowie record from the first "drop". Found it for $40 on the used market, not bad considering it was $35 in the store and obviously one of the more popular titles released.