Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Darling Buds

Old 08-25-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Darling Buds

Are there any Darling Buds fans around here? They were a favorite indie British band of mine during the late 80's/early 90's. Only released three albums (all good!). I saw them once at the old 930 Club here in D.C. and they were great. Well, I was just on YouTube looking for some of their songs and discovered that like Lush, they regrouped and also released an EP. This track is off their 2017 album. Typically when older bands release something new after years of being dormant, I approach with caution. Because it's almost always mediocre at best. But this was really impressive. I felt like I taken back in a tiny time machine

Last edited by Daytripper; 08-26-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Darling Buds

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a fan, but I do like a few of their songs. My first exposure to them was when "Crystal Clear" was included on this 3 inch compilation CD that came in packs of Coke back in the early '90s. That's my favorite song of theirs and I also dig some of their other singles, but I haven't really delved deeper into their catalog.

Your video says it's unavailable, but I'll check out their new stuff elsewhere.
Old 08-26-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yup. I was a fan from when British "blonde pop" was big in the 80s for about a minute and a half, along with The Primitives and Voice of the Beehive. I absolutely adore Pop Said, Crawdaddy took a while to grow on me, but I didn't like Erotica. I might have to give it a revisit though, as some of the later works of the aforementioned bands was not as immediately accessible as their earlier releases but they aged better. In addition to the three LPs you cite, I really like "Shame on You", a 1990 EP with different cuts of songs from Pop Said, along with a few other songs that aren't on any of the full lengths, like "Valentine" and "That's the Reason"

I did hear one of the new songs and enjoyed it a lot. Just like The Primitives, they came back with new material just as good as their early stuff. Perhaps a Voice of the Beehive reunion is upcoming?
Old 08-26-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post

Your video says it's unavailable, but I'll check out their new stuff elsewhere.
That's very odd. I don't know why that happened. I found another link.