Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Woodstock 50

Old 03-21-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woodstock 50

I had no idea one was being planned until yesterday. They better hope it turns out better than the one that was held in 1999. Just by reading the lineup, (which is in the link) It reminded me how out of touch I am with today's music.

https://www.woodstock.com/

Old 03-21-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Woodstock 50

They do Woodstock every year in California. It’s called Coachella.
Old 03-22-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

based on the lineup. Meh, i'm getting too old for this shit.
Old 04-29-19, 11:37 AM

Old 04-29-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, I was looking forward to the cheese sandwiches!
Old 04-29-19, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Damn, I was looking forward to the cheese sandwiches!
That took me a minute.

I think it's clear that due to those docs, they don't want to go down that path.
Old 04-29-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was a horrible idea from the get go. After the 1999 event it should never be done or considered again.
Old 04-29-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As a personal note, back in the 80s I used to do field service for point-of-sale systems, and many times I had to sojourn to the Borscht Belt resorts in upstate NY, already on their last legs. One time I was driving this two-lane road through the middle of nowhere, when I passed by "Hurd Rd.", a single lane road into even more farmland. The name sounded familiar so I checked it out one day. Almost immediately I regretted the decision, as it was overgrown by weeds and I couldn't even turn around. After a mile, I finally found a little dirt turn off so I could at least go back. As I was turning around I saw a glint of metal flash in my rear view. I went to check it out, and it was a tiny plaque. "On this site in August 1969, the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival was held..."

(I was too young to know about the original festival, so at least visiting it when it had reverted to farmland again was kinda cool)
Old 04-29-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad the 50th anniversary had to go this way. Seemed too big and too flashy with newer artists.
Old 04-29-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I'll take 'Concerts nobody gives a shit about for $500', Alex".
Old 04-29-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just saw on FB that the promoters are calming its not canceled... I hope the film crew has already started following them and the phones at Billy Mcfarlands jail are tapped..
Old 04-29-19, 05:10 PM

If it is or it isn't... anyone who pays $450 for a first time three day festival is a dumb. And if anyone tries to go after all this drama... well...
Old 04-29-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
That took me a minute.

I think it's clear that due to those docs, they don't want to go down that path.
You’d think they would have learned their lesson from the thirtieth anniversary Greedstock/Rapestock debacle.
Old 04-30-19, 06:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With that lineup, it's a pass even if I did have a spare $450 laying around I didn't care about and 3 days to kill (figuratively speaking).
Old 04-30-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
"I'll take 'Concerts nobody gives a shit about for $500', Alex".
Seriously. I know about 10 bands on the entire list, and would only want to see (maybe) about 7 of them, 5 of which would be playing on the first day.

When I originally saw this thread, I just assumed it would be talking about the 50th anniversary. I didn't even think they'd be trying it again.
Old 04-30-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I recognize a few of those names. Zombies, Hot Tuna, Canned Heat . . . It reminds me of those PBS pledge week concerts where they dig up these old acts who don't have the chops anymore.

"Look, you go on stage and play Time of the Season. The gray-haired audience will get weepy, and then we'll bring out the next band."
Old 04-30-19, 01:36 PM

Dear Woodstock Friends

It seems in a way that history is repeating itself. In July of 1969 we lost our site in Walkill and with only a month to go we managed to move to Bethel. Woodstock was going to happen no matter what!

This time around, Woodstock’s new hometown, Dix & Watkins Glen, NY and New York State have been really wonderful. I went door to door to talk to the neighbors. Some remembered Summer Jam back in ’73 and were worried about history repeating itself. But they opened their doors to us and we talked it out. Many of those people have reached out over the last 24 hours with messages of hope and encouragement.
The venue, Watkins Glen International, have been totally supportive and professional.

Yesterday, our financial partner, Dentsu-Aegis, made the decision to pull out and informed us that they were cancelling the festival at the same time they let the press release go public.
We have yet to understand why they would try to prevent the festival from happening by seemingly undermining us in this way. It is one thing to decide for oneself that it is best to move on, but it is entirely another thing to try and close the door on us.

Yesterday, I couldn’t help but relive that moment 50 years ago – it was “ déjà vu all over again”!
Supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners.
We continue our work with NYS, Schuyler County and various parties to keep things on track.

Woodstock never belonged to Dentsu, so they don’t have a right to cancel it.
Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will.
We don’t give up and Woodstock 50 will take place and will be a blast!

Thanks for Listening, Michael
Old 08-03-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The event has been canceled, yet the artist who were scheduled to preform are still getting paid.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/wo...on-1203288655/
Old 08-03-19, 06:56 AM

After Watkins Glen they tried 4 times to ram it thru at Vernon Downs, east of Syracuse NY. It got shot down every time. Local authorities said the plans submitted were a joke.
Old 08-03-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it did happen I doubt there would be riots again since Fred Durst would not be allowed anywhere near that stage and Nu-Metal is dead.
Old 08-04-19, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No cheese sandwiches and leaves?

Bummer...
Old 08-15-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today marks the 50th Anniversary of the opening day of Woodstock. Here's a good article on how the event changed the little town of Bethel, New York.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/15/75126...-of-bethel-n-y
Old 08-15-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if they were able to get artists that played the original festival, this would have been a cool idea.
Old 08-17-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The limited edition 38-CD complete set that just came out and has already been completely sold through now goes for close to $3000 on eBay.

Creedence put out their complete Woodstock performance for the first time on CD. It smokes.
Old 08-20-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The limited edition 38-CD complete set that just came out and has already been completely sold through now goes for close to $3000 on eBay.

Creedence put out their complete Woodstock performance for the first time on CD. It smokes.
That's such bullshit. Why did they make it so limited? I was interested in it but was hoping it would be released with just the discs and not all the extra bullshit they threw in the set. It was overpriced as well. Is it streaming anywhere?

In other news, I watched the new documentary on Woodstock by PBS on Netflix last night. It was a brisk 90 minute documentary. Not much on performances but I loved all the archival footage shown of just normal people doing their thing. No talking heads either which is nice. The documentary is a little dry but still fascinating for the footage and just the sheer uniqueness of the festival. I can't imagine that many people at something now without mass riots breaking out everywhere. The food situation there is also just as nuts and would cause people to lose their shit nowadays.