Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sirius XM streaming

Old 07-11-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sirius XM streaming

Found out today that if you have an active SiriusXM car subscription, the streaming and mobile app service is now bundled for free. It's great for when you aren't in the car, and there are a lot of additional channels as well. Apparently you can also somehow feed into Pandora stations, but I don't really use Pandora so I haven't investigated that.
Old 07-11-19, 02:23 PM

Re: Sirius XM streaming

Yeah they were running a special a week or two back on inactive radios $5/mo for a year. I already had the streaming only plan and called in to add the car promo. Ended up getting a credit on the streaming plan that will cover the promo for a year. Didn't understand why I was getting both for so cheap until they started advertising that streaming was now included.

SiriusXM bought Pandora. It looks like you can create stations now in the SiriusXM app just like you would in Pandora. I didn't see a way to transfer current stations from Pandora over... hopefully they'll add that at some point.
Old 07-11-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait....so how does this work? I have a car subscription.
Old 07-11-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I tried my car subscription log-in on the app and it doesn't work.
Old 07-11-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got the email today and just set up my app. I used to have the streaming but didn't want to pay for it again, so I'm happy for this. Set it up on Alexa but haven't tried it yet.
I miss Cinemagic and Onederland, so I look forward to having access to those channels again, and browsing the 'xtra' channels (and catching the reruns of Dark Wave because I'm not usually in my car on Sunday nights.)
Now listening to a replay of Mojo Nixon's Loon in the Afternoon show.
I wonder if this means SXM is doing well or not doing well.

I preferred XM over Sirius, but I prefer SiriusXM over not having satellite radio.
Old 07-11-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I tried my car subscription log-in on the app and it doesn't work.
You need to create a separate streaming login in the “manage my account” section on the SiriusXM web site. This will allow you to log in to the streaming app and/or tie it to a streaming device like an Echo, a Roku, etc.

It doesn’t appear to be available to all subscription levels, though. My wife and I have access to it with our “Select” plans, but my friend on the “Mostly Music” plan does not.
Old 07-11-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My email says it's specific to SiriusXM Select subscriptions.
I recall there used to be some annoyance with account vs streaming logins but I think they harmonized them. "
Old 07-12-19, 12:10 AM

Don't pay full price for Sirius XM. If you call them (1-888-601-6302) and tell them the bill is too high and you can't afford it, they will offer you a discounted price.

The best deal is usually a 6-month promo. It sucks that you have to call every 6 months to reactivate the discount. But it's worth the savings. I just called them last week and got a 6-month renewal for $5/month. It ended up being $42 total (after taxes and fees).

They'll initially offer you a 12-month renewal for $99. Tell them you can't afford it right now. Say you recently got an email offering 6 Months for $30. Ask them if that offer is still available. They'll put you on hold for a few minutes, then come back and give you the discounted rate.
Old 07-12-19, 12:16 AM

They literally just saved themselves a customer. I knew that they had an announcement coming roday and was waiting for this. Have had a Select plan for the car for a few years now, but just moved to work at home, so I'm not in the car anymore. This will do just fine since I can stream it through Alexa all the time now
Old 07-12-19, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Don't pay full price for Sirius XM. If you call them (1-888-601-6302) and tell them the bill is too high and you can't afford it, they will offer you a discounted price.

The best deal is usually a 6-month promo. It sucks that you have to call every 6 months to reactivate the discount. But it's worth the savings. I just called them last week and got a 6-month renewal for $5/month. It ended up being $42 total (after taxes and fees).

They'll initially offer you a 12-month renewal for $99. Tell them you can't afford it right now. Say you recently got an email offering 6 Months for $30. Ask them if that offer is still available. They'll put you on hold for a few minutes, then come back and give you the discounted rate.
Agreed. It's a bit of a hassle, but worth it. I have to put a calendar reminder to call, since it auto-renews at the regular rate if you don't call before. I've been on 6 months for $30 for forever.... They always try to give me a different deal, but I just say "no, I'll only do it for 6 for $30", and they eventually cave.
Old 07-12-19, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Wait....so how does this work? I have a car subscription.
When I logged in to my account from a computer, it asked me if I wanted to update my access for streaming. It then took me right to that section to create the new login. As someone else said, it's a different login than what you use to manage your account, which is a little odd. I initially tried it from Chrome and Safari on my phone, but was having trouble getting it to work. Tried it from a PC, and was done in two minutes.
Old 07-14-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing this is US only?