Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ticketmaster accused of colluding with scalpers

Old 09-21-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ticketmaster accused of colluding with scalpers

Shocked! Shocked I tells ya!!! Fuck you TM no matter how this pans out...

Story Here

Ticketmaster has been essentially accused of colluding with scalpers — and collecting double fees in the process — in a weekslong investigation published Tuesday by CBC and The Toronto Star.

The outlets sent two undercover reporters to a live-entertainment conference in July, where representatives for Ticketmaster pitched them on TradeDesk, the company's invite-only proprietary platform for reselling tickets.

The platform enables resellers to purchase tickets in bulk from Ticketmaster's site, and then resell them for higher prices — with Ticketmaster taking a percentage of both sales — raising or dropping prices with the click of a button based on their assessment of fan demand.

From Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...alpers-726353/

Music fans’ ire toward Ticketmaster for expensive concert tickets may be somewhat justified, according to a fiery investigation by CBC News and the Toronto Star on Wednesday detailing a secret scalping scheme run by the ticket sales company itself. The two outlets sent journalists undercover as scalpers to a live entertainment convention this summer, where Ticketmaster reportedly pitched them on its underground professional resale program, through which it takes a cut of profits.

Ticketmaster, which is owned by live entertainment juggernaut Live Nation, enlists resellers to grab batches of tickets from its site and then flip them for higher prices on a Ticketmaster-owned, invite-only platform called TradeDesk (touted by the company as “The most powerful ticket sales tool. Ever”), according to the report. Ticketmaster gets extra fees from the pricier resale tickets on top of its fees from selling the original ticket. CBC and Toronto Star journalists were told that despite the existence of a Ticketmaster “buyer abuse” division that looks for suspicious online activity in ticket sales, the company turns a blind eye to its TradeDesk users. A sales representative told one of the undercover journalists that there are brokers with “literally a couple of hundred accounts” on TradeDesk, and that it’s “not something that we look at or report.”
Old 09-21-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ticketmaster accused of colluding with scalpers

This doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s always seemed like somehow scalpers get a hold of a good chunk of tickets for any given event. Ticketmaster I would assume would have a way of policing the purchase of tickets better if they really wanted.
Old 09-21-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No collusion!!!!
Old 09-21-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, maybe we will be getting more of those useless vouchers 10 years from now.
Old 09-21-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Hello $2.25 x 10!
Old 09-22-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The media is just now reporting on this? Christ.... this has been the fucking norm for years.
Old 10-17-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I was about to say great I can get a voucher for some indie, christian, cover band at a venue 2500 miles away from me in February of 2021, if I am one of the first 21 people to claim a ticket.

I am looking at a couple of upcoming shows and one is sold out (6 weeks away) and the other has nosebleed section left (3 months out), but both have tickets from secondary sellers and only $30-150 more than the original face value of tickets, not including fees. Weezer/Pixies go on sale this Friday (early sales started today) and already there are secondary sellers on ticketmasters.