Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen Top 30

Old 06-01-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Van Halen Top 30

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
A big part of the deal for me with Roth-era Van Halen was the stage presence. A notable difference when compared to Van Hagar. Roth was so full of himself it sort of became comically entertaining. This was catapulted further during his solo work.

There are two Van Hagar songs I do really like though: Humans Being and Can't Stop Loving You (though the Balance album is pretty weak).

Glad to see Me Wise Magic make it on someone's list. I can appreciate Runnin' with the Devil, but simply cannot listen to that song any more. Heard it one too many times.

Also, can't forget VH III

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lT8RdKN8u9w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Human Beings doesn't get enough appreciation. It is an amazing song. Not much going on lyrically, but wow Eddie takes you on a roller coaster ride with those solos and some cool sound effects.

Cradle will Rock is another amazing song. I never get tired of the bit where Roth pauses the song and asks "have you seen junior's grades" And then Eddie just busts open with a great solo. Love it. You just don't see good stuff like that anymore. It's all grindmeal boring flat new rock music, IMO.
Old 06-02-18, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love outta space off the last album.
Old 06-02-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by comanche_doyle View Post
love outta space off the last album.
GREAT song!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y4IVfNZkgyo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Although I prefer the original version, which made my Top 10...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dzHw0DGY-rs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-02-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Everybody Wants Some is my favorite.

I am too lazy to rank the rest.
Old 06-03-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Jump fans should check this out (if they haven't lareayd seen it). A friend of the Foo's recently showed me this video.

https://www.jambase.com/article/foo-...an-halens-jump
That's pretty good. Of course, Lennon's melancholy music doesn't match the exuberance of the Jump lyrics, but I guess that's part of the joke.
Old 06-21-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn, this thread made me start listening to some Halen tunes, lot of their stuff holds up very well.....listening to D.O.A now
Old 06-21-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 312 Posts

No love for Eruption or You Really Got Me?

I'm a sucker for the whole first album.

I saw them when it was their only album, opening for Black Sabbath. What a great show!
Old 06-21-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
No love for Eruption or You Really Got Me?

I'm a sucker for the whole first album.
The OP stipulated no covers. And personally I've always considered Eruption as the opening for You Really Got Me, so I didn't include it in my list. If covers were allowed I also would have bumped a few songs in favor of Dancing In The Street and Oh Pretty Woman.
Old 06-21-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts

I think it's limiting to say "No covers!" when compiling a list of best tunes. A good song is a good song, period.

For example I'm not the biggest Eagles fan but would consider 'Seven Bridges Road' to be one of their top 10 band songs.
Old 06-22-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes even less sense when a band is so fond of doing covers and they end up being some of the better tracks in their catalog. Plus Roth kept it up when he went solo. Tobacco Road is one of the best songs that band recorded.
Old 06-22-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, I definitely missed that.

I'll stick with Eruption, though. Even though I agree it's pretty well an intro to You Really Got Me, it was obviously not written by The Kinks.
Old 06-22-18, 12:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The number of covers was also a lot of producer Ted Templeman's doing. VH spent so much time touring (and partying) they just didn't invest as much time writing material for their first albums. Eddie basically created 1984 in a vacuum, which started to change some of that.
Old 06-22-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts

Anyone who's ever picked up a guitar and spent hours attempting to master it would argue that Eruption is NOT part of You Really Got Me

A fine lead-in, though
Old 06-22-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Anyone who's ever picked up a guitar and spent hours attempting to master it would argue that Eruption is NOT part of You Really Got Me

A fine lead-in, though
I have and still consider it the first part of a two part song. But that has a lot to do with how often I've heard it that way. Maybe it's just me, but I've never heard one part played without the other. There are a lot of examples like that with other bands. Combos that are technically two songs, but you never hear one without the other.
Old 06-22-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
The number of covers was also a lot of producer Ted Templeman's doing. VH spent so much time touring (and partying) they just didn't invest as much time writing material for their first albums. Eddie basically created 1984 in a vacuum, which started to change some of that.
Huh? Only Diver Down is really cover heavy.
Old 06-23-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

Anyone see that VH special on Reelz?

Old 06-23-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

I like this version though everybody thinks it is crap and the vocals might not be the greatest

Old 06-25-18, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Anyone see that VH special on Reelz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqWWfOcGlU
Watched it. Doesn't really highlight anything fans don't already know. Only current interviews are with Hagar and Anthony. The reenactments were comically bad though.
Old 06-25-18, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Huh? Only Diver Down is really cover heavy.
True. I remember reading a Templeman interview where he mentioned the covers. They didn't release a cover-free album until their 3rd and they chose a cover as their first single off album 1. II had one cover but I think most or all of the material was written at the same time as I.

I for one don't mind the covers. Diver Down is arguably my favorite VH album.