Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-02-17, 04:25 PM   #26
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: RIP Tom Petty (10/2/2017, age 66)

I am crushed to see my favorite musician has passed away...
Old 10-02-17, 04:25 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Always a fan. From the first album through to the last. And unlike so many other artists whose career spanned that many years, he never really ever changed his sound.
Old 10-02-17, 04:26 PM   #28

re: RIP Tom Petty (10/2/2017, age 66)

I can't merge with Music talk so I am just closing this:

Main thread here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk...dead-66-a.html
Old 10-02-17, 04:30 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Wish I got to see him before he passed. Always kept saying "next time." Truly one of the greats. Even the losers...

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 10-02-17, 04:32 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck, man. He just played Hollywood Bowl last week.
Old 10-02-17, 04:33 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Really sad to hear this.

So many great songs.

RIP Tom

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 10-02-17, 04:35 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Man, this one hits home. Loved him so much.

One of my top concert moments of all time was when I saw him at the L.A. Forum during the Full Moon Fever tour. Young Lenny Kravitz opened for him and he closed the show with Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen joining him on-stage. I could have died happy in that moment right there in the cheap seats.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 10-02-17, 04:35 PM   #33
Somewhat Banned

Well fuck, that really sucks. RIP Tom.
Old 10-02-17, 04:38 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night in Vegas was a total shock but this...The Tom Petty at just 66 dead.....I'm at a total loss of words.....I haven't felt this bad losing someone in the Music World since John Lennon was shot...

The Music World has lost a true pioneer, a legend, a performer today....I can remember when the label was about to let him go and then he and The Heartbreakers just started pumping out hits back in the glory days of MTV....geeze I'm just sick......

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 10-02-17, 04:40 PM   #35
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heartbreaking.
Old 10-02-17, 04:43 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuck!
Old 10-02-17, 04:46 PM   #37

Old 10-02-17, 04:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Heartbreaking.
What you did there. I see it.
Old 10-02-17, 04:48 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

RIP Traveling Wilbury

Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 10-02-17, 04:52 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Rip

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 10-02-17, 04:53 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Unfathomable.

RIP, Tom. In my top-10 musicians.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 10-02-17, 05:03 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

I guess he's technically not dead as of 1:35pm --

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...191637865.html

Quote:
1:35 PM PT — Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom’s hospital room. We’re told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he’s still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer’s death is inaccurate — the L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept. handled the emergency.

Old 10-02-17, 05:06 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Was he a doper? I don't know about his history, and whether hard living or genetics caused his cardiac arrest.
Old 10-02-17, 05:10 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I guess he's technically not dead as of 1:35pm --

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...191637865.html

He won't back down.
Now the waiting is the hardest part.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 10-02-17, 05:12 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Rip
Old 10-02-17, 05:13 PM   #46

Well that news just hit me like a ton of bricks. Tom just seemed like one of those musicians who would never age or pass away. I still remember buying Full Moon Fever cassette in high school and playing it so much that the lettering rubbed off. Late 80s and early 90s releases were my favorites along with Traveling Wilburys. Not much of a fan of his later stuff. Such a gifted songwriter and unique vocals.
Old 10-02-17, 05:16 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Stop with the puns.

Tom Petty was so great. Full Moon Fever was one of the first albums I ever bought. It, as well as Wildflowers are brilliant masterpieces. Several songs on the She's the One soundtrack are great. Of course the Wilburies. Are only Dylan and Jeff Lynn still with us?
Old 10-02-17, 05:22 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Well that news just hit me like a ton of bricks. Tom just seemed like one of those musicians who would never age or pass away. I still remember buying Full Moon Fever cassette in high school and playing it so much that the lettering rubbed off. Late 80s and early 90s releases were my favorites along with Traveling Wilburys. Not much of a fan of his later stuff. Such a gifted songwriter and unique vocals.
Agreed. He was always thin and looked relatively healthy (albeit gaunt). The time period you mentioned is also my favourite, though Hard Promises is a great early album. I think his last great album was Echo (1999).
I also love the Traveling Wilburys, which I guess disbanded when Orbison passed away.
Old 10-02-17, 05:29 PM   #49

In an an interview before this last tour he made it sound like he was getting tired and wouldn’t be doing anymore major tours. Shows here and there, yes, but not 30 stop tours.
Old 10-02-17, 05:30 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend