Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged

It's a crime Tom's Christmas song isn't on radio playlists in November & December

Old 10-25-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged

I really liked Mojo.
Old 10-25-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Thanks for the additional info on Playback, guys. I have scarce room on my CD shelves, but I might pick it up if the price is right (or wish it for Christmas).

Originally Posted by Decker
Spoiler:

Any discussion of Tom Petty's greatest masterpieces should begin and end thusly :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uMyCa35_mOg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Objection overruled! But the court will allow opposing counsel's assertion that The Waiting is a pretty cool tune.
Old 01-19-18, 07:14 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.

We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months.

Thank you also for respecting the memory of a man who was truly great during his time on this planet both publicly and privately.

We would be grateful if you could respect the privacy of the entire Heartbreaker family during this difficult time.
Old 01-19-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Petty had a mixture of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl in his system.

Holy shit that is a lot of drugs
Old 01-19-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I love that whenever an entertainer dies of a drug overdose, it's "accidental" to make it sound more innocent. If it's not suicide, it's always an accident. He was a junkie - you wouldn't be taking all those drugs if you weren't.
Old 01-19-18, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I love that whenever an entertainer dies of a drug overdose, it's "accidental" to make it sound more innocent. If it's not suicide, it's always an accident. He was a junkie - you wouldn't be taking all those drugs if you weren't.
Prince died of opioid overdose too.
Old 01-22-18, 06:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That whole piece is beautifully and responsibly written. But this part in particular is very important:
As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

Maybe his death could save a few lives.
Old 10-02-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

I had forgotten that he died the day after the Vegas shooting. That was a really rough day for me.
Old 10-02-22, 11:53 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

We have most of his hits on our "Family Sing-A-Long" playlist for road trips and the kids really like him (they thought it was cool when they saw his Simpsons episode). One of my favorite concerts ever was his tour joint-headlining with Pearl Jam, just a great show. Miss him and his music a lot.
Old 10-02-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Doesn't seem like it should have been that long ago. I think the pandemic has messed with my perception of time, or it's just flying by faster the older I get.

I saw the Foo Fighters not long after he died, and they played a cover of "Breakdown" in tribute.
Old 10-02-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I had tickets to see Wilco on 10/02/17. They changed the pre-show music to all Petty. It was very emotional being in a crowd of strangers singing along to these songs that seemed ingrained in our DNA just hours after he died. And of course, Wilco played a Petty cover for the encore. I think every rock band that had a show that week did.
Old 10-03-22, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

What’s weird is, I still don’t think it was all that impressive of a career until he did Wildflowers, which is just superior by far to any album of his.

Yes those other albums had bigger singles , but Wildflowers is simply a masterpiece.
Old 10-03-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
What’s weird is, I still don’t think it was all that impressive of a career until he did Wildflowers, which is just superior by far to any album of his.

Yes those other albums had bigger singles , but Wildflowers is simply a masterpiece.
I think you are selling Full Moon Fever short. That was a huge and extremely well-received album. Got Petty his first major Grammy nominations.
That said, yes, Wildflowers is remarkable. I posted in the re-release thread that the four CD re-release of Wildflowers is fabulous. Most impressive is the demo that Petty sang into a tape recorder that was the title track. He just made it up on the spot and sang it, fully formed, into the tape deck. It feels miraculous. Here it is.