Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chester Bennington, Lead Singer of Linkin Park, Commits Suicide at 41

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chester Bennington, Lead Singer of Linkin Park, Commits Suicide at 41

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Chester Bennington, Lead Singer of Linkin Park, Commits Suicide at 41

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What the hell is up with the qualifiers on articles around the net? "I didn't like their music but..." "I was never a fan but..."

They sold 70 million albums to somebody. Is liking their music some badge of shame that I missed? It's weird to me that so many people would check an article on a person/band they don't like, let alone take the time to comment on it.
Like many, I am a big fan of their first two albums, the third to some degree, but they went off a cliff after that. the band has repeatedly said they wanted to grow past Hybrid Theory/Meteora but that doesn't mean the fans will follow.

That said, I have ALWAYS loved chester's voice and emotion. He will be missed.
Old 07-21-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved their first two albums. Minutes to Midnight was still pretty good, but you could tell they were slightly shifting the tone of their music. After that, I couldn't really tell what the hell they were doing. A Thousand Suns was an absolute mess. Living Things and The Hunting Party had maybe a decent song or two, but were mostly forgettable and One More Light was a complete bore.

I saw them in concert around seven or eight times I believe. It was funny, I went home after work last night and found a couple of my old concert shirts from them. I even have a shirt from the last time they came to St. Louis. Projekt Revolution w/ Snoop Dog on August 25, 2004. I still remember how much of a mess that concert was, because it was delayed for over an hour before they came on for weather conditions. And afterwards we drove back down to college that night.

So even though I don't listen to their new stuff, their old stuff still gets a ton of play from me.

Fun fact: Since my original gamertag was already taken at the time, I had to add something on the end. So I added LP for Linkin Park since that's what I had playing in the background at the time
Old 07-21-17, 10:17 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

So 20 minutes for the news broke I got an offer for free tickets for an upcoming show.

Later in the evening:

Dear Listener,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this giveaway opportunity is being cancelled.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,
SiriusXM Team
Old 07-21-17, 11:13 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't really blame linkin park, but the program directors who heard their sound and said, "That's it! That's what we will push as the next thing in alternative rock!" They can go to hell. Just pure shit thinking.
Old 07-21-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-21-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Like many, I am a big fan of their first two albums, the third to some degree, but they went off a cliff after that. the band has repeatedly said they wanted to grow past Hybrid Theory/Meteora but that doesn't mean the fans will follow.

That said, I have ALWAYS loved chester's voice and emotion. He will be missed.
That's why Minutes to Midnight is my favorite. It has enough of what made them famous with a little growth in there. Hybrid and Meteora always felt like two halves of the same album to me. Still love them both, but I listen to M2M far more frequently.

He did have a solid voice. Definitely under appreciated.
Old 07-21-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Shit just got weird.

Chester Bennington's Wife Says She Cheated On Husband

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chester-b...044942712.html

UPDATE: 1:12 am EDT – Linkin Park vocalist Chester Bennington's wife Talinda Ann Bentley took to Twitter once again early Friday, moments after deleting her tweets in which she confessed to cheating on her husband with bandmate Mike Shinoda.

In the latest tweet, Talinda said she “encouraged him to kill himself I told him no one cared.”

Original Story:

In a shocking turn events in the apparent suicide of Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington, his wife Talinda Ann Bentley confessed on Twitter that she was cheating on her husband with band member Mike Shinoda.

"I guess this is the time to say it but I have been cheating on Chester with Mike Shinoda....," Talinda wrote. "I never really loved him and I'm not hacked I just was in love with the money hurts to say," she said in another tweet. However, the tweets were immediately taken down.

It is unclear whether Bentley's messages were an emotional outburst or if her Twitter account was hacked.

Bennington's wife not only revealed that she was cheating on her 41-year-old husband but also fuelled rumors about his untimely death. “He didn’t kill himself, he was already did [sic] before he hung himself, I have proof..,” she wrote.

Bennington hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates, California, where his body was found. He is survived by his six children, Jaime, with former girlfriend Elka Brand, adopted son Isaiah, son Draven with first wife Samantha Marie Olit, and children Tyler Lee and twins Lily and Lila with his second wife, Talinda.

Mike Shinoda, an original founder of the band in 1996, is married to author Anna Hillinger since 2003 and the couple have two children together. The 40-year-old had earlier paid tribute to the late singer, saying he was "shocked and heartbroken" by Bennington's death.

Shinoda produced and co-wrote much of Linkin Park’s music and was also part of the band's latest album, “One More Light,” which was released May 19. The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

Shinoda has not yet responded to Talinda's tweets or about the alleged cheating.

Talinda's now-deleted tweets early Friday were the first time she spoke out following the death of her husband, who had been fighting drug and alcohol abuse. While the tweets did raise some eyebrows, it is unclear if there was any conspiracy behind his death.

Bennington got involved with drugs before he was a teenager. “I started using drugs when I was 11,” he had said previously. “I definitely wasn’t making records at that time. I was exposed to it really young and there were a lot of things that happened to me as a young person that were really difficult for me to deal with. I found myself alone a lot.”
Old 07-21-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

That's certainly not gonna help someone coping with depression.
Old 07-21-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like a hack but you just can't be sure of anything these days. Fucked up if true.
Old 07-21-17, 01:08 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

That story is false, and apparently she was hacked.
Old 07-21-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It sounds like a hack but you just can't be sure of anything these days. Fucked up if true.
Yeah, it was a hack.
Old 07-21-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first big tip off that this was a hack was the tweet saying "this is not a hack"... um... dead giveaway.
Old 07-21-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Sad since Chester is only two years younger than me.

Most of the guys in the band are in their early 40's and I don''t think they will quit or maybe they will work in their own side projects.
Old 07-22-17, 11:49 AM

I love how most articles state he "passed away". Fucker didn't pass at all he took his own life with his own hand. There's a difference
Old 07-22-17, 02:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikitikitat
I love how most articles state he "passed away". Fucker didn't pass at all he took his own life with his own hand. There's a difference
What a compassionate first post. You're just what dvdtalk was missing.
Old 07-22-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Linkin Park had already evolved enough that Shinoda didn't feel a need to do a Fort Minor follow-up record but I wouldn't be too surprised if LP is retired and the other guys come and join him under the FM name. It would be a shame to throw away their entire catalogue/live shows/career but also I don't see how they can continue without Chester. There is a handful of LP songs that are Mike Shinoda ONLY on vocals but most have both in some capacity. Very tough situation and it will take a lot of time and perspective to figure out where they go from here.
Old 07-22-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I wonder maybe he was delusional thinking a early suicide would put him up there with other rock greats who died young and there was a certain romanticism about doing that and Cornell dying young was the trigger.

Maybe he wanted to enhance his legacy though Linkin Park will never be considered one of the great rock bands of all time like Nirvana.
Old 07-22-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-22-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool collaboration but Chester can't compete with Veddar on that one.
Old 07-23-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

This one surprised me as much as Cornell's did. Maybe it wouldn't have as much if I would have read interviews with the guy, seemed like he was open about having a shitty upbringing and tried to bury it with substances. Bummer. At the very least, hopefully other people heading down the same path see what happened here and get help.
Old 07-24-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Cool collaboration but Chester can't compete with Veddar on that one.
Actually, Chester was singing Cornell's part & he sounded great to me. Cornell is usually the one screaming "Goin hungryyyyy!"
Old 07-25-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't catch that but I meant as a pair anyway. Cornell + Vedder was a magical duo.
Old 09-21-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This should be an interesting concert to see

Linkin Park announce a special show in honor of Chester. The one-night-only celebration will take place in Los Angeles at the legendary Hollywood Bowl on Friday, October 27, 2017. The band will be joined by a number of other artists, for an unforgettable night of music to honor the man that touched the lives of so many around the world.
Old 09-22-17, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The video for One More Light is out.

That was hard to watch, after listening to the lyrics.
Old 10-28-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.