Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chris Cornell dead at 52

I was certainly shocked by this news. I was really into them in the early 90s. One of the worst things about getting old is that public figures who actually have some sort of meaning to you start dying.

Originally Posted by inri222
I agree, saw them once in 1994 and that's exactly how they were.
I was glad to see someone else say this. I saw Soundgarden in 1994 as well and it was one of the worst shows I've ever been to. I literally didn't listen to them for about 15 years because I couldn't get over how bad that show was.
Old 05-19-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They must really step it up for local shows because anybody that I know that ever saw Soundgarden live thought the show was amazing. I know I did.
Old 05-19-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Soundgarden were never one of those bands to run around on stage like punkers, glam rockers, or any of the typical rock tropes you see on tv. They were a "workman" type of band. They came on, played, and left,

I will say that Cornell was more active in terms of moving around when he was in Audioslave, because he only sang as opposed to play guitar. He probably played guitar on one or two songs live with AS and that was most likely on acoustic. Also, he wasn't an "MC" type of lead -- he was a hard rock crooner.
Old 05-19-17, 01:53 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

From TMZ:

Chris Cornell used a common piece of exercise equipment to take his own life.

We've learned the Soundgarden frontman secured a red elastic exercise band attached to a carabiner to the top of his hotel bathroom door. A carabiner is a device commonly used by mountain climbers which they attach to a belt to keep them from falling. The device can withstand enormous weight.

Cornell jammed the door shut with the carabiner at the top of the frame. The carabiner was jammed so tight it left an indentation in the door frame.

As we reported, Chris' family believes he may have taken his life while under the influence of Ativan, and that he had no plan or desire to commit suicide just hours earlier.

According to the police report, obtained by The Detroit News, Chris was on the phone with his wife, Vicky, shortly before committing suicide, who said he sounded "groggy" and repeatedly told her, "I am just tired," before hanging up.

Vicky became alarmed, called the hotel and Chris' security guard kicked down 2 doors and found him in the bathroom with blood running from his mouth.
Old 05-19-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

The day I saw Soundgarden live

Old 05-19-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Soundgarden were never one of those bands to run around on stage like punkers, glam rockers, or any of the typical rock tropes you see on tv. They were a "workman" type of band. They came on, played, and left,
Yeah, but I've also seen Big Band Jazz shows with some legendary groups (Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Lionel Hampton, etc), and even though the musicians were all seated in their respective sections they at least engaged the audience and were enthusiastic and looked like they wanted to be there.

Cornell looked like he'd rather be somewhere - anywhere - else.

And I thought he looked particularly disengaged, and given the stories that are now coming out about him taking too much medication maybe he really did take it before the show.

I don't know - it's a really sad story. Regardless of how you feel about the band, their performance style, or anything else it's a sad story and a premature end to a great singer and songwriter.

I feel particularly bad for his family. The fans can learn to deal with it (I still miss Ronnie James Dio and I get sad sometimes listening to his music because I know we'll never get anything more), but his family members will never really get over it.
Old 05-19-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I was also going to link to the TMZ article, but Dex beat me to it. We're starting to get a fuller picture of the scene, and it does indeed look like suicide rather than a death by misadventure. Such a sad end.
Old 05-19-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Chris has 3 kids, 17, 13 & 12. I am extremely saddened by his death but to leave his children without a father (& his wife a widow) is such an irresponsible, selfish act. I don't care how depressed he was, his children will probably be scarred for life.
Old 05-19-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Chris has 3 kids, 17, 13 & 12. I am extremely saddened by his death but to leave his children without a father (& his wife a widow) is such an irresponsible, selfish act. I don't care how depressed he was, his children will probably be scarred for life.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I've know people who have been there, and their thinking (however wrong it may be) is that they feel that their family and loved ones will be better off without them there. In some ways, they feel like they're doing it for their family.
Old 05-19-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
For comparison, here's how he played in 2014 on the NIN tour. It doesn't seem much different. And I distinctly recall the 2014 show being very good, especially with regards to Cornell.

Here's the final performance of "Black Hole Sun."

Something does seem off with the performance, but so does the 2014 performance.

But agreed that Soundgarden was never a particularly "lively" band like Maiden.
Old 05-19-17, 06:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

benzos, unlike SSRIs/SNRI's, usually don't cause suicidal ideation but are often used to do the deed.
Old 05-19-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I've know people who have been there, and their thinking (however wrong it may be) is that they feel that their family and loved ones will be better off without them there. In some ways, they feel like they're doing it for their family.
Same here.

Originally Posted by TGM
benzos, unlike SSRIs/SNRI's, usually don't cause suicidal ideation but are often used to do the deed.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/13076942-post100.html
Old 05-19-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
And I'm no super fan of either band but he said "Pearl Jam is the 2nd most overrated band in history right after Kiss" And NO NO NO that tittle belongs to 'Dave Mathews Band"
#1. U2
#2. DMB
#3. Kiss
Old 05-19-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Ativan never made me feel anything but level. Then again, I didnt take it for very long before getting switched to Zoloft, then Paxil, then Xanax.
Very sad to see such an abrupt decision. Chris had an amazing voice and will be missed. I never saw Soundgarden live in person.
Old 05-19-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

He did have an amazing voice. I will give him that. What about his stage presence made you want to have fun? People knock on the 80s bands, that made party music, but I'm still wondering what about the grunge era that people were attached to? Especially now, since most of the singers are committing suicide?

I listen to fun, upbeat, music after a day at work. Last thing I need is some singer mumbling about how bad life is.
Old 05-19-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can knock stage presence from these videos all you want but being in a crowd of 15,000 people rocking out to OUTSHINED are among the best concert going moments of my entire life. That song blows the mother fucking roof off EVERY TIME.
Old 05-19-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
#1. U2
#2. DMB
#3. Kiss
I don't think Kiss can be considered overrated - there are too many people that consider them a joke.
Old 05-22-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
He did have an amazing voice. I will give him that. What about his stage presence made you want to have fun? People knock on the 80s bands, that made party music, but I'm still wondering what about the grunge era that people were attached to? Especially now, since most of the singers are committing suicide?

I listen to fun, upbeat, music after a day at work. Last thing I need is some singer mumbling about how bad life is.
Different people like different kinds of music. I'm not sure why you're questioning that.

While I prefer a band that is more energetic on stage, the overall experience is most important. I was initially surprised at how "boring" Soundgarden was during the first song of the set, but they ended up being a highlight of the many bands I've seen live. It was a pretty powerful set.
Old 05-22-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I got into a huge argument with a co-worker today.
It all started when he was telling a story of how he was discussing Chris dead in a forum yesterday and some douchbag came in and said "oh Soundgarden was just a Pearl Jam ripoff band" and he then went off the rails saying how they are in the same sentence is beyond him. That Pearl Jam is a one horse trick whereas Soundgarden were the true innovators of the genre.

And I'm no super fan of either band but he said "Pearl Jam is the 2nd most overrated band in history right after Kiss" And NO NO NO that tittle belongs to 'Dave Mathews Band"
Not sure WTF this has to do with anything but you are right about the Dave Mathews Band being the most overrated in history...

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't think Kiss can be considered overrated - there are too many people that consider them a joke.
at the dumb shit you post...
Old 05-22-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Kiss is a fucking joke of a band - always has been, always will be. They're novelty act.
Old 05-22-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Hey now, let's stay on topic. I am a Kiss fan -- granted, their last great album was Revenge. All of these bands have a place, so let's scale it back a bit.
Old 05-22-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the police got it right, it seems it was indeed a suicide related to taking some extra pills.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-death-w483238
Old 05-22-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I find it ironic that the two men who fired Jason Everman for being a head case have both killed themselves, while he thrives after serving 8 years in the military.
Old 05-22-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Kiss is a fucking joke of a band - always has been, always will be. They're novelty act.
I'll agree with novelty but not the rest. I like Kiss and they have their place, but I can see them being overrated.
Old 05-22-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a huge RATM fan, I have seen them more than 5 times. One of the best live bands.

I really liked Pearl Jam, but after seeing them live I became a big fan. Then they started releasing the official bootlegs and they are my favorite band now. And yes, they are really engaging, all of them.

I saw Chris Cornell 5 times. First in 1999, then when Soundgarden reunited, I had tickets for the first concert in SF but my dad died the day before, so I wasn't able to attend. Third time was in the tour with NIN, it wasn't as great as the first time I saw Soundgarden, but they were great. I left midway during NIN. Sorry.

The fourth time was during Bridge School, Soundgarden "acoustic". I thought they were great.

Fifth and last time was last year with Temple of the Dog, they were amazing. Chris voice was the best.

So yeah, Soundgarden members weren't the most dynamic, but they transmitted a lot of energy. I think the guitarist is too "calm", and that's why the band was like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.