Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Finally he is on the cover of the latest Rolling Stone.

Has Prince ever performed Manic Monday live?

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 05-04-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Finally on the cover of Rolling Stone? He's been on there before, several times. Or did you mean you were waiting for the latest issue to come out?
Old 05-04-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Prince Was Set to Meet with Opioid Addiction Doctor a Day After He Died.

A California doctor says he was scheduled to meet with Prince on April 22, the day after the legendary artist died.

Dr. Howard Kornfeld was supposed to help Prince fight his addiction to painkillers, according to the Star Tribune. William Mauzy, a prominent Minneapolis attorney working with the Kornfeld family, explained that Kornfeld was called because the artist was "dealing with a grave medical emergency."

Dr. Kornfeld is an authority on opioid addiction treatment, according to the report.

Prince was found dead in his home on April 21. That morning, a 911 call came from an unidentified male at Prince's Minnesota residence, and said "the person is dead here" and "the people are just distraught."

Kornfeld couldn't meet with Prince on April 21, so he sent his son to Paisley Park with plans to follow later. "The plan was to quickly evaluate his health and devise a treatment plan," Mauzy explained.

According to Mauzy, Kornfeld's son, Andrew, arrived at Prince's home on April 21, and he was one of the people at the residence when Prince's body was found. Mauzy also claims that it was Andrew Kornfeld who called 911 that day.

In the weeks since his death, reports have surfaced that Prince had painkillers in his possession, but no toxicology results have determined if there were any in his system or if they played a role in his death.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...L&ocid=U305DHP
Old 05-04-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I dont see Manic Monday in my collection live. There are listings for tracks with that name but only one is the song you're thinking of, its raw demo but its still a duet.
Old 05-05-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Finally on the cover of Rolling Stone? He's been on there before, several times. Or did you mean you were waiting for the latest issue to come out?
I know

What I was referring to was the other major magazines like People, Newsweek, and Billboard already had their Prince tributes and Rolling Stone finally came out with theirs 2 weeks later.

I guess they felt no need to rush the publication.
Old 05-05-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Let's go corn-razy!
Old 05-06-16, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-06-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I know

What I was referring to was the other major magazines like People, Newsweek, and Billboard already had their Prince tributes and Rolling Stone finally came out with theirs 2 weeks later.

I guess they felt no need to rush the publication.
Where is this mysterious Rolling Stone issue? Their website says on newsstands now, but I can't find it anywhere. I work at a grocery store with a full magazine rack, and we always get every commemorative issue that comes out. We still have a full supply of the Merle Haggard one. Did I miss it somehow?

EDIT: I looked up the Billboard issue, and it appears to not be an issue totally dedicated to Prince. I'll be trying to get all the ones that are just him. So far I have Newsweek, People, and Time. Any others?

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-06-16 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Genetic testing ordered on Prince's blood to handle 'parentage' claims.

The judge overseeing the resolution of Prince's estate on Friday ordered genetic testing on a sample of the late superstar's blood, saying "parentage issues" might arise and time is short.

Carver County, Minn., District Judge Kevin Eide signed the order authorizing the temporary special administrator of the estate, Bremer Trust, to obtain the blood sample from the Midwest Medical Examiner, which conducted the autopsy on Prince's body, and have it genetically analyzed "for any purpose relevant to the administration of the Estate."

The judge's order recognized that "parentage issues" could arise and that "timing can be a concern when conducting genetic testing."

The order said Bremer Trust is authorized to hire DNA Diagnostics Center to do the testing.

After Prince was found dead on April 21 in his Paisley Park compound in Carver County, an autopsy was conducted and samples taken, as is usual in any autopsy. Prince's body was later cremated. The final word on the cause of death is pending further testing but investigators are looking into whether prescription painkillers played a role.

Meanwhile, the fate of his estate, valued as high as $300 million, is up in the air because so far no will has been found and the list of his potential heirs is growing. As administrator, Bremer Trust is now engaged in looking for a possible will, organizing Prince assets (such as real estate and music), and seeking out legitimate relatives eligible to inherit a portion of his estate.

Prince left no parents, children or spouses. Besides his full sister, Tyka Nelson, and at least five half-siblings who have been named in court documents, one other woman has come forward to claim she is a half-sibling, and the descendants of another half-sibling (now dead) could be heirs, too.

John Hilbert and Shar Mansukhani, co-owners of Heir Hunters International, a company that searches for long-lost heirs to unclaimed estates, told USA TODAY they have received hundreds of calls and emails since Prince's death from people claiming to be a long-lost relative to Prince. They said they are investigating the bonafides of one man in his 30s who says he believes Prince was his father although he has yet to say so publicly.

Sorting all this out may come down to the DNA. Under Minnesota law, full siblings and half-siblings are treated equally for the purposes of inheritance. Both of Prince's now deceased parents had children with other spouses and relationships.

The estate has to separate the legitimate relatives from the scores of people coming forward, many of whom may be frauds or mistaken, before it can fairly distribute the assets of Prince's estate.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...z&ocid=U305DHP

It looks like people are coming out of the woodwork claiming to be related to Prince. It's a shame all of this could have be avoided if he had only left a will.
Old 05-07-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Where is this mysterious Rolling Stone issue? Their website says on newsstands now, but I can't find it anywhere. I work at a grocery store with a full magazine rack, and we always get every commemorative issue that comes out. We still have a full supply of the Merle Haggard one. Did I miss it somehow?

EDIT: I looked up the Billboard issue, and it appears to not be an issue totally dedicated to Prince. I'll be trying to get all the ones that are just him. So far I have Newsweek, People, and Time. Any others?
Entertainment Weekly had a cover and nice story on him. It wasn't an issue devoted to just him, but if you are looking for another magazine honoring him it's a decent pick up.
Old 05-08-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Nevermind
Old 05-08-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Nevermind
Alexander?
Old 05-08-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the regular issue of rolling stone has the Prince cover as I posted in the photo above but not sure if they did a full commemorative issue

Hollywood is running out of ideas and they could make a movie with Prince and his old bodyguard.

Old 05-09-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I would imagine Rolling Stone will have a full commemorative issue on him, but it usually takes them a little while to get them ready.
Old 05-10-16, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Slave Trade How Prince Remade the Music Business was an excellent documentary on AXS TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_-twXnOJE
Old 05-10-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man Alleges He Is Prince's Biological Son, Files Paternity Claim Against Estate.

A man has filed a paternity claim against Prince's estate, just days after a court ordered DNA testing of Prince's blood in anticipation of potential paternity claims.

Carlin Q. Williams of Kansas City, Missouri, claims he is the biological son of the pop icon, CBS News correspondent Jamie Yuccas reports. Williams is requesting a DNA test and petitioning to be determined as Prince's "sole surviving legal heir." The singer had no known will.

Court documents filed Monday in Minnesota courts show that Williams' mother, Marsha Henson, gave a statement saying that she had unprotected sex with Prince in July 1976 in Kansas City and conceived Williams that day.

On Friday, an order authorizing genetic testing was filed in Carver County, Minnesota to allow DNA testing on a sample of Prince's blood. The results of that test could then be used to settle any potential claims of paternity against the "Purple Rain" singer, who died April 21 at his Paisley Park compound in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

Though the late singer's body was cremated shortly after his death, a vial of his blood was extracted and kept on file by the Midwest Medical Examiner, according to the document.

While there have not been any claims from individuals alleging Prince has any as-yet-unidentified direct heirs, the filing recognizes "that parentage issues might arise and that timing can be of concern when conducting genetic testing."

Earlier last week, Prince's sister, Tyka Nelson, and four of his five surviving half-siblings appeared in court to begin sorting out the late singer's multimillion-dollar estate, for which he has no known will. During that hearing, a judge formalized the appointment of Bremer Trust to handle the estate's financial matters.

http://www.etonline.com/news/188387_...ternity_claim/
Old 05-10-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Seems insane and illogical that someone who was raising Prince's biological son throughout his career wouldn't have asked for child support at some point. I'm disinclined to believe the story, but I guess the blood will sort it out.
Old 05-10-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Seems insane and illogical that someone who was raising Prince's biological son throughout his career wouldn't have asked for child support at some point. I'm disinclined to believe the story, but I guess the blood will sort it out.
Agreed. It would be nice if a will appears at some point to sort out all this garbage. However, I am starting to suspect that Prince was so singularly focused on his music that he never gave these legal matters the attention they deserved.
Old 05-10-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This may seem like a random question, but as I have been re-watching Purple Rain recently especially the performance sections a question popped up. Does anyone know if during the filming of those sequences if they were actually playing live and then they overdubbed audio later, or did they lip sync all the live stuff to playback of the tracks in the club? Only information I could find was that Prince wanted a live feel so they filmed all the stuff back to back like a real concert but no mention of if they were actually performing or not.
Old 05-10-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

They probably did play live, but they probably didn't do a proper recording of the live, on-set performance, you know, like having a soundboard, and properly mixing the drums and keyboards for a proper recording.
Old 05-10-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know they didn't record the audio and some of the live stuff on the album was recorded like a year earlier at the same club, but to me it looks like a real performance later overdubbed than a lip-synced one. My buddy insists it was all faked and I cant seem to find any info online.
Old 05-10-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the feeling they are going to be running non-stop DNA tests for a while...
Old 05-10-16, 11:25 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think the regular issue of rolling stone has the Prince cover as I posted in the photo above but not sure if they did a full commemorative issue

Hollywood is running out of ideas and they could make a movie with Prince and his old bodyguard.

That's the dude in Purple Rain that plays the bouncer at the club's door right?

All I know about the making of Purple Rain (the film and the album) is that all the live songs on the album (which is about half of them) were recorded before the performances were filmed for the movie. Like Unclejosh said, the album version of the song Purple Rain was recorded a year earlier at the same club. So in the movie, for that song at least, Prince is performing to playback of a live performance previously recorded. I would guess that every live performance in the film was done the same way.
Old 05-10-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That's the dude in Purple Rain that plays the bouncer at the club's door right?

All I know about the making of Purple Rain (the film and the album) is that all the live songs on the album (which is about half of them) were recorded before the performances were filmed for the movie. Like Unclejosh said, the album version of the song Purple Rain was recorded a year earlier at the same club. So in the movie, for that song at least, Prince is performing to playback of a live performance previously recorded. I would guess that every live performance in the film was done the same way.

That is him

It did not take long for Gene Simmons to open his big mouth

Gene Simmons is not holding back on his feelings about Prince, claiming his death was "a choice."

"Bowie was the most tragic of all because it was real sickness," the Kiss member told Newsweek. "[Prince's] drugs killed him. What do you think, he died from a cold?"

"I think Prince was heads, hands and feet about all the rest of them," Simmons continued. "I thought he left [Michael] Jackson in the dust. Prince was way beyond that. But how pathetic that he killed himself. Don't kid yourself, that's what he did. Slowly, I'll grant you … but that's what drugs and alcohol is: a slow death."

Paul Stanley apologized for his bandmate's comments via Twitter, stating that he is "embarrassed" by Simmons' "cold clueless statements" about Prince's death. "Without all the facts better to say nothing."

Simmons wrapped his thoughts on Prince with a reflection on what led to alleged addiction. "The one question I have is: When we all start out and we have these big dreams and you finally get your wish — you have more money than God and fame — what is that insane gene in us, well, a lot of us, that makes us want to succumb to the cliché of clichés: drugs and alcohol?"

Simmons, who claims to have never been high or drunk in his life, recalled meeting Prince early in the late star's career, having taken his then-girlfriend Diana Ross to see him before he became popular. "Backstage when we came up to say 'You were great,' we were expecting this huge personality and he was a very small, slight human being. He might have been five-foot-four, very shy, with his eyes to the ground, very self-effacing. He just couldn't take a compliment: 'Thank, thank you.' He spoke in a whisper. It was shocking actually. He couldn't look Diana Ross in the face — he kept his eyes to the ground."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...mself-20160510

Old 05-10-16, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it means anything, Paul Stanley felt the need to apologize for Simmons' comments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.