Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
He really was quite underrated as a songwriter. I never knew this late 90s band/early aughts bands hit song was originally written by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GmLqH0ypI
Are you high?
Old 04-26-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

His dad actually told him "Don't get married" which was worked into the Purple Rain script.
Old 04-26-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
U (Don't) Got The Look!
But she'll soon have the $$$$$
Old 04-27-16, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I know he was not the guy that followed trends but is possible he might have tried to a EDM song or maybe one in the future if he was still around?

He did do a little rap in the early 90's.

Did he ever feel he sold out when he did the Batman soundtrack? It has some good songs but maybe it might been too commercial for his taste though he agreed to do it.
Old 04-27-16, 06:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

While I'll agree that Prince was a musical icon and will be sorely missed by most, he was never one of my favorite musicians. He was certainly a stage presence, a hell of a song writer, and an artist for the ages, but his style of music was never very high up on my list of favorites. His style of grandeur was akin to Michael Jackson's IMHO, which was another musician I was never truly fond enough of to buy his albums or see his shows. Having said all that, losing Prince was a loss to the world of music. RIP Prince...
Old 04-27-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I would say he was underrated as a lyricist more than as a songwriter, where I think he is rated very highly, and deservedly so. But his lyrics really are amazing.
Old 04-27-16, 11:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

He was an incredible musician, maybe even top 5 guitarists of all time, certainly top 10.. it's just unfortunate he never made music that really appealed to me. But my jaw drops whenever he would shred a cover song from the Beatles or someone else from rock n roll, old school blues, or alt rock.
Old 04-27-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

On Sunday, April 24th 2016 David Gilmour performed for Teenage Cancer Trust at the Royal Albert Hall. This is an audience recording of David Gilmour performing Comfortably Numb, with the inclusion of Purple Rain as a tribute to Prince.
Old 04-28-16, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prince 'was diagnosed with AIDS six months before he died and refused treatment because he believed God would heal him'

Prince — Agonizing Final Days After AIDS Diagnosis
Old 04-28-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Pretty good interview with a Prince lawyer on the rights of his songs and what it might entail without a will.

So unless all these siblings get along and agree, we're not gonna get new Prince releases for a while.
Old 04-28-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Pretty good interview with a Prince lawyer on the rights of his songs and what it might entail without a will.

So unless all these siblings get along and agree, we're not gonna get new Prince releases for a while.
It still baffles my mind that Prince didn't have a will. Maybe it was one of those things he was going to get around to but passed away before doing so. He fought so hard for complete control of his music in his lifetime that never in a million years did I think he would die without having a will in place.
Old 04-28-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and they mentions this, and while he certainly did like to have control over his music, I can see him being the type that didn't want to consider his own mortality, which is what having a will would entail.
Old 04-28-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Wonder if they actually have inside info or if they're just running with that blind item that came out a couple of days before he died.
Old 04-28-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Prince’s Band The Revolution Will Reunite In His Honor.

Five days after Prince’s death, the band that backed him throughout the early ‘80s has announced plans to reunite in his honor.

The Revolution — which Prince formed in Minneapolis in 1979 — are best known as the backup band from the Purple Rain film and album, as well as the album 1999. The reunion lineup will feature the same five musicians who were part of the band when it disbanded in 1986: Bobby Z., Matt Funk, Brown Mark, Wendy Melvoin, and Lisa Coleman.

“We have decided, after spending three or four days together now grieving over the loss of Prince, that we would like to come out and do some shows,” Melvoin said in a video posted to Mark’s Facebook page on Tuesday.

The band didn’t reveal any specific details about their reunion performances, but vaguely promised to “be there soon.”

http://www.mtv.com/news/2873400/prin...ounce-reunion/

The Revolution sure hasn't aged well. I used to have a crush on Wendy and Lisa when I was a teenager.
Old 04-28-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
“We have decided, after spending three or four days together now grieving over the loss of Prince, that we would like to come out and capitalize on this unexpected opportunity to make some cash,” Melvoin said in a video posted to Mark’s Facebook page on Tuesday.
Fixed that for him.
Old 04-28-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

It still baffles my mind that Prince didn't have a will. Maybe it was one of those things he was going to get around to but passed away before doing so. He fought so hard for complete control of his music in his lifetime that never in a million years did I think he would die without having a will in place.
What if he did have a will, his sister found it and saw he didn't leave much to her. Realizes she can get a nice percentage if he didn't have a will.

1. Find will
2. ???
3. Destroy will
4. Profit!!
Old 04-28-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Revolution — which Prince formed in Minneapolis in 1979 — are best known as the backup band from the Purple Rain film and album, as well as the album 1999. The reunion lineup will feature the same five musicians who were part of the band when it disbanded in 1986: Bobby Z., Matt Funk, Brown Mark, Wendy Melvoin, and Lisa Coleman.
Fink, actually.
Old 04-28-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What if he did have a will, his sister found it and saw he didn't leave much to her. Realizes she can get a nice percentage if he didn't have a will.

1. Find will
2. ???
3. Destroy will
4. Profit!!
You're probably joking, but if he had a will, it would be with his lawyer and not just laying around for someone to find.
Old 04-28-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's in the vault, along with the combination. D'oh!
Old 04-28-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Five days after Prince’s death, the band that backed him throughout the early ‘80s has announced plans to reunite in his honor.

“We have decided, after spending three or four days together now grieving over the loss of Prince, that we would like to come out and do some shows,” Melvoin said in a video posted to Mark’s Facebook page on Tuesday.

The band didn’t reveal any specific details about their reunion performances, but vaguely promised to “be there soon.”

The Revolution sure hasn't aged well. I used to have a crush on Wendy and Lisa when I was a teenager.
But Prince made his best music with them. That would be cool to see as long as it does not cost a fortune for a ticket.

I think Wendy and Lisa did the soundtrack for the Heroes TV series.

I pray whoever has control of the estate does not allow his music to be used in commercials.
Old 04-28-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I pray whoever has control of the estate does not allow his music to be used in commercials.
Old 04-28-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Dez Dickerson? Of the guys in the band he was the one that had the coolest look. Wonder if there is a reason he was left out.
Old 04-28-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
No Dez Dickerson? Of the guys in the band he was the one that had the coolest look. Wonder if there is a reason he was left out.
IIRC, Dez was out of the band by the time of "Purple Rain". I think he only recorded and toured during the "1999" period. Not to say they won't try to incorporate him somehow.
Old 04-28-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The Revolution wasn't officially "The Revolution" until Dez had already left. The 1999 album cover hinted at the band name, but it was still technically just Prince at that point, and a band wasn't officially credited by name until Purple Rain. If you think about it, pre-Revolution would also have to include Andre Cymone.

Originally Posted by Jippy
IIRC, Dez was out of the band by the time of "Purple Rain". I think he only recorded and toured during the "1999" period. Not to say they won't try to incorporate him somehow.
He was just named with the other band members in the "thanks to" section of the album credits of "Prince" in 1979, then pictured and credited with the others in the Dirty Mind album from 1980, so he was with Prince for at least a few years.

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-28-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 06:28 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I know he was not the guy that followed trends but is possible he might have tried to a EDM song or maybe one in the future if he was still around?

He did do a little rap in the early 90's.

Did he ever feel he sold out when he did the Batman soundtrack? It has some good songs but maybe it might been too commercial for his taste though he agreed to do it.
I'd argue Batdance was mostly an EDM track.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.