Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Natalie Cole dead at 65.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Natalie Cole dead at 65.

Old 01-01-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Natalie Cole dead at 65.

Her optimism amid personal struggles was inspirational. Her voice? Unforgettable.

Natalie Cole has died, reports the Associated Press and TMZ. She was 65.

"I think that I am a walking testimony that you can have scars," she told CBSís Sunday Morning in 2006. "You can go through turbulent times and still have victory in your life."

Born Feb. 6, 1950, in Los Angeles, Cole had music in her genes. Her father was legendary crooner Nat King Cole, and her mother, Maria Cole, sang with the Duke Ellington Orchestra.

At age six, Cole recorded a duet with her father, Iím Good Will, Youíre Christmas Spirit. By age 11, she was performing alongside him on his television show.

When Cole was 15, and attending boarding school across the country, her father died of lung cancer. As she grew up without her fatherís guidance, Cole never abandoned music. She studied Psychology in college at the University of Massachusetts and sang in clubs on weekends, where she was billed as Nat King Coleís daughter. Yet she was about to find her own voice.

While performing at a club called Mr. Kelleyís, she was discovered by R&B producers Chuck Jackson and Marvin Yancy (whom she married in 1976 and with whom she had her son, Robbie, in 1977). In 1974, she had her first hit, This Will Be, from her debut album, Inseparable. The song won her the Best New Artist Grammy in 1975, the first of nine she would win throughout her career.

Hits and awards kept pouring in as Cole released two more platinum albums (Unpredictable and Thankful, both in 1977). On the outside, Cole was fulfilling her fatherís legacy and drawing comparisons to Aretha Franklin. On the inside, she was battling drug addiction. In her 2000 autobiography, Angel on my Shoulder, she wrote that her addiction incapacitated her so severely that she was barely able to escape a fire in her Las Vegas hotel in 1981.

In 1983, she spent several months at the Hazelden Clinic in Minnesota and, with her health intact, released her come-back album, Dangerous, in 1985.

As her career progressed, Cole began to drift away from the pop and R&B styles that had defined her early music and gravitated toward a more jazz-oriented style that drew from the likes of Ella Fitzgeraldóand her own father. Her best-known album to date, Unforgettable ... With Love, featured a technology-assisted duet for the song Unforgettable with her fatherís original recording.

Years after reclaiming her life from drug addiction, Cole was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 2008. Exhausted, she continued performing until her rapidly declining health was tied to kidney disease, likely a result of the medication she was using to treat her hepatitis C.

Cole continued to tour, receiving dialysis three times per week between performances. During a March 2009 appearance on Larry King Live, her fansí love for her was apparent. The show received dozens of emails from fans offering her replacement kidneys.

While fighting her own battles, Cole was helping her sister, Cookie, battle cancer. Her sister died the morning Cole got a successful kidney transplant in May 2009.

Her own life saved, Cole was devastated at the loss of her sister, but grateful to the family of the woman whose kidney she received.

"To have your life saved by someone you donít even know ó oh, God. God bless them," Cole told AARP Magazine in 2009.

Just months later, she was itching to get back onstage.

"The volume of work that Iíve had before, I canít do it," she told USA TODAY in 2009. "Instead of 90-minute shows, maybe Iíll only do 60. Instead of dancing around the stage, maybe Iíll just walk elegantly."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...L&ocid=U305DHP
Old 01-01-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts
Re: Natalie Cole dead at 65.

Man. She seemed young and healthy back in the Unforgettable days. But that was a while ago.
Old 01-01-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I enjoyed her music, but after reading the article above I realized I didn't know much about her and some of the struggles she's had.
Old 01-01-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Wow didn't know she was in such poor health recently.

RIP
Old 01-01-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

rip
Old 01-01-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Man, within one month we've lost three people in the music world: Scott Weiland, Lemmy, and now Natalie.

RIP
Old 01-01-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

That sucks and kind of a shock really.
Old 01-01-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Man, within one month we've lost three people in the music world: Scott Weiland, Lemmy, and now Natalie.

RIP
And most likely country singer Craig Strickland.
Old 01-02-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post

RIP
We also lost singer Stevie Wright from The Easybeats, and drummer John Bradbury from The Specials in the past week, too.
Old 01-03-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
And most likely country singer Craig Strickland.
Who?
Old 01-05-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to download Unforgettable at Itunes but I have to buy the whole album.

What is the point of Itunes.
Old 01-06-16, 11:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I wanted to download Unforgettable at Itunes but I have to buy the whole album.

What is the point of Itunes.
The artist/label I believe has final say as to whether or not they allow individual tracks available as singles or not. But it is odd when the song *was* a single at time of release.

Edit: What's weird... the Amazon page for it offers every track for individual purchase *except* the title track... it's like they're holding the popular song hostage.
Old 01-06-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The artist/label I believe has final say as to whether or not they allow individual tracks available as singles or not. But it is odd when the song *was* a single at time of release.

Edit: What's weird... the Amazon page for it offers every track for individual purchase *except* the title track... it's like they're holding the popular song hostage.
Yeah, I saw that too. Fact is, few people want the other songs as singles.
Old 01-06-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Unforgettable was the only duet with Nat King Cole on that album?

The same problem exists with "Do They Know It is Christmas" the 80s version at Itunes.

Maybe it is cheaper to buy the full album from some Argentinian CD seller at Ebay.
Old 01-09-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Natalie Cole's family reveals cause of death.

Natalie Cole's cause of death was revealed by her family on Thursday.

The family told the Associated Press the singer died of idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension, which led to heart failure.

In a statement to the AP, the family said after Cole received a kidney transplant in 2009, she was diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension, a rare lung disease that causes shortness of breath, dizziness and sometimes chest pain. Because Cole's case was idiopathic, the exact cause is unknown.

The statement read: "(Cole) responded well to pulmonary arterial hypertension-specific agents over many years, during which she performed many concerts world-wide, but eventually succumbed to intractable right heart failure, an outcome that unfortunately commonly occurs in this progressive disorder."

Cole died last week at the age of 65. The daughter of Nat King Cole, she became a star in her own right, winning nine Grammys and releasing platinum albums including 1977's Unpredictable and 1991's Unforgettable... with Love. Yet the singer battled early problems with drug abuse, and later hepatitis C. Cole had a kidney transplant in 2009.

"Natalie fought a fierce, courageous battle, dying how she lived ... with dignity, strength and honor. Our beloved Mother and sister will be greatly missed and remain UNFORGETTABLE in our hearts forever," read the statement released last week from her son, Robert Yancy, and sisters, Timolin and Casey Cole.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...id=ansmsnent11
Old 02-16-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Natalie Cole's Family Outraged Over GRAMMYs' 'Disrespectful' Tribute to Late Singer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gramm...id=mailsignout
Old 02-16-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyone have an address to mail them the proper butthurt forms to submit?
Old 02-16-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

If it weren't for that album she did with dead father no one would even know who she was.
Old 02-16-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd know who she was.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IhHLifMnUxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
If it weren't for that album she did with dead father no one would even know who she was.
????? say what???????
Old 02-16-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Uhh, before she passed away, she was a solo recording artist for 40 years and won 9 Grammy's. Her 1st in 1976.

She didn't just magically become a star in 1992 because of Unforgettable

Here's her bio. Educate yourself before you make a nonsense statement like that.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/natal...4195/biography
Old 02-17-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If David Bowie hadn't died, they may have done a bit more for her....JMO