Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Make a Bold Statement About Music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Make a Bold Statement About Music

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Make a Bold Statement About Music

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spot on.

And I'll run with the idea and say that perfectly produced and polished pop music can be just as enjoyable and even classifiable as "art" as any other music.
It's a good one, no doubt, but I would counter with these two ultra-catchy, no-nonsense classics. "Da Doo Ron Ron" can hardly be bettered for two minutes of musical bliss (and those beautiful dames don't hurt):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cSpwxz8s0NU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8TLLcvWeiKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Rock 'N Roll aint noise pollution
Old 10-17-14, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U2 are a great band, but The Joshua Tree is one of their worst albums, and the most boring by a country mile.
Old 10-17-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Pet Sounds is a tediously bland album and, with the exception of "God Only Knows" and maybe "You Still Believe In Me", is nearly entirely unlistenable.

SMiLE is their true masterpiece.
Old 10-17-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Curtis Mayfield and Louis Jordan should be as well known as Marvin Gaye and Louis Armstrong
Old 10-17-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spend the money... QUICKLY... Mister Bond.
Old 10-17-14, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Pet Sounds is a tediously bland album and, with the exception of "God Only Knows" and maybe "You Still Believe In Me", is nearly entirely unlistenable.

I don't like Pet Sounds either but what's wrong with "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?? I think that's a pretty great tune.
Old 10-18-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin makes me want to do the exact opposite of what the song wants me to do.
Old 10-18-14, 06:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Rory Gallagher was the best guitarist to have ever played.
Old 10-18-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I might be able to agree with that if Smile was actually finished. Heroes and Villains, Surf's Up, and Good Vibrations are 3 staggering tracks, but a lot of the other material is still a mess. Before I ever really listened to much of the Smile material, I never understood why it couldn't be finished. It never made sense to me. When I finally heard it it dawned on me just ambitious the whole thing was. Now all that's left is a tantalizing glimmer of what could've been.

As far as Pet Sounds is concerned, I don't think I'd want to live in a world where tracks like Wouldn't it be Nice, You Still Believe in Me and Sloop John B. (at the very least) were considered unlistenable.
Old 10-18-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin makes me want to do the exact opposite of what the song wants me to do.
Robin Williams must have had the same reaction.
Old 10-18-14, 11:40 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Robin Williams must have had the same reaction.
Old 10-19-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Dave Grohl is an attention whore who needs to go away.

The Ramones and AC/DC are essentially the same band, as they just play the same song over and over again.

Pantera are awful, and they did more to "kill" heavy metal in the US than Nirvana did.
Old 10-19-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

The Ramones and AC/DC are essentially the same band, as they just play the same song over and over again.
I don't know that I necessarily see that as a bad thing--that's what they do, they enjoy it, and they're good at their craft. But I do agree with you.
Old 10-19-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Rock is dead. Its energy is long gone. Today's rock bands are replaying other people's ideas that were worked out years ago. But selling its fake rebellion immensely profitable for the big four music corporations.
Old 10-19-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I might be able to agree with that if Smile was actually finished. Heroes and Villains, Surf's Up, and Good Vibrations are 3 staggering tracks, but a lot of the other material is still a mess. Before I ever really listened to much of the Smile material, I never understood why it couldn't be finished. It never made sense to me. When I finally heard it it dawned on me just ambitious the whole thing was. Now all that's left is a tantalizing glimmer of what could've been.

As far as Pet Sounds is concerned, I don't think I'd want to live in a world where tracks like Wouldn't it be Nice, You Still Believe in Me and Sloop John B. (at the very least) were considered unlistenable.
I grew up listening to island, Caribbean, and South American music by the buttload. The Beach Boys cover of "Sloop John B" is, in my ears, god fucking awful. Cornball, soulless, white-boy appropriation of a sound they ended up butchering with their sanitized, clean, hollow vision.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" leaves me cold. But I do enjoy "You Still Believe In me".
Old 10-19-14, 06:29 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Is there something you know that I don't know? It pretty much was finished a few years ago and I see/hear no evidence that its finished form is anything other than what it would have been in 1967.
Old 10-20-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Rock is dead. Its energy is long gone. Today's rock bands are replaying other people's ideas that were worked out years ago. But selling its fake rebellion immensely profitable for the big four music corporations.
Rock music is healthier then it has ever been precisely because bands don't have to make themselves beholdent to one of the big record companies to to reach an audience. And for consumers this is the greatest time in human since at the click of a mouse you have access to any artist from any country from any point in history. The people that listen to the same bands they did when they were 14 and complain that no one is making good music are only disservicing themselves with their complacency .
Old 10-20-14, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Ok more bold statements.

There is more good music being made today than ever before, you just have to go look for it. This generation won't be spoon fed its music like others. The idea of hearing a timeless song on the radio is a thing of the past.

Nickleback being labeled as the worst band ever has turned into more of a running joke than an actual truth. Anyone who claims it in earnest is a fool.

Despite popular opinion, ICP might be music business geniuses. They have created an entire world for their fans and have marketed themselves in a way that makes KISS envious.

Metal was not popular in the 80s, hair metal was. Just like metal was not popular in the late 90s, nu-metal was. Metal will never be popular.
Old 10-20-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I grew up listening to island, Caribbean, and South American music by the buttload. The Beach Boys cover of "Sloop John B" is, in my ears, god fucking awful. Cornball, soulless, white-boy appropriation of a sound they ended up butchering with their sanitized, clean, hollow vision.
I'm as lily white as they come, so I guess I don't really have any point of reference for the song, nor do I really think of it as Caribbean music despite its origins. I love the vocal arrangement and while it's far from their best song, it might be my favorite of theirs.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Is there something you know that I don't know? It pretty much was finished a few years ago and I see/hear no evidence that its finished form is anything other than what it would have been in 1967.
I'm in no way a Beack Boys/Smile expert so take the following with a grain of salt: I look at the Smile Sessions release from 2011 the same way as I do the Touch of Evil reconstruction from the 90's. It may have been the closest they could get to approximating Orson Welles' vision as possible, but it's full of compromises. First off, since there was never any concrete template for the album in 1967, the whole thing was based on the version Brian Wilson recorded and released in 2004 . While Wilson certainly had final say on what was/wasn't in the end product of the 2004 version, he did very little of the work arranging and compiling the material that ended up on the album. This was done by Darian Sahanaja (a member of Wilson's band.) As it was, some new music even had to be written to fill in some of the gaps.

The 2011 version was the best approximation of the 2004 version they could make using the old Beach Boys material. In some cases they had to use material that was recorded well after the original sessions, and in some cases the material that they wanted/needed didn't exist at all or only existed in unfinished form. In the end, what we have can't really be called the closest to what we would have gotten in 1967, because Wilson himself had no idea what that was going to be. That's why it was never finished. Instead, we have a compilation of some breathtaking music that gives us a window into what might have been. For me, the whole thing never really comes together as a totally coherent piece (the 2004 version works better than the 2011 version). Maybe in a different lifetime it would have. Who knows. As it stands, the Beach Boys' 1967 version of Smile was never truly completed, so I have a hard time calling it their masterpiece.
Old 10-20-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't Buy a Thrill is Steely Dan's best album
Old 10-20-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
Dave Grohl is an attention whore who needs to go away.
I think he seems like a nice guy and is earnest in his music but dude, you have to turn down an award show or other event once in a while. Grohl has somehow become the de facto "rock" goto guy for corporate stooges. Because of that, I have no desire to hear his music.
Old 10-20-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Most critically acclaimed music is not fun to listen to. Most times it is some hipster douche's non comformist/mainstream attitude coloring their opinion and being impressed with stuff they don't understand so it must be complex and deep. A lot of times it is just unlistenable dreck or musical masturbation.
Old 10-20-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

The most consistently entertaining artist of the last 30 years is Prince
Old 10-20-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Metal was not popular in the 80s, hair metal was. Just like metal was not popular in the late 90s, nu-metal was. Metal will never be popular.
nah, look at the RIAA platinum lists for those decades and you'll be surprised how popular "real" metal is, or was...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.