Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64]

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64]

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I've been lucky enough to see them 6 times over the years and loved every show. But there comes a time that you have to just say 'we cant do it anymore'. It sucks if you've never been to a show before, but if it were to be your first AC/DC show, it wouldn't be an AC/DC show.
Old 03-07-16, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, it's a shame that AC/DC might lose the one and only vocalist they ever had.
Old 03-08-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I've been lucky enough to see them 6 times over the years and loved every show. But there comes a time that you have to just say 'we cant do it anymore'. It sucks if you've never been to a show before, but if it were to be your first AC/DC show, it wouldn't be an AC/DC show.
If they did replace Brian, obviously it wouldn't be the first time they replaced the lead singer. But given they are also without most of the other band members that made up the prime of their history, it's really not AC/DC at some point.
Old 03-08-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

He could always wear over the ear isolation headphones with a low volume mix. Might not be a "rock" look though...
Old 03-08-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw them in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. They were great, as usual.
These days I find club gigs far louder than stadium gigs. I saw Slayer/Testament/Carcass two days later and they were so much louder. The Slayer bass drums were at that volume where you can feel your chest vibrate when they're hit. After 35 years of going to gigs and never wearing earplugs, I'm sure my ears are pretty shot at this point. I know for a fact that my high/low frequencies have dropped off, but I think that's only to be expected as you get older.
Old 03-08-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

They could get the lead singer from Airbourne for the rest of the tour, they're practically AC/DC-lite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0w7vciQCE

but fuck it, shut it down boys. You've always been an honest blue collar band, don't limp along with just the name and the one founding member to get a paycheck.

Last edited by covenant; 03-08-16 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant
They could get the lead singer from Airbourne for the rest of the tour, they're practically AC/DC-lite.
I do think the band is very AC/DC like, but their singer doesn't sound THAT much like Brian to me. Would rather just see Airbourne get more fans and continue on as-is.

but fuck it, shut it down boys. You've always been an honest blue collar band, don't limp along with just the name and the one founding member to get a paycheck.
This.
Old 03-08-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

They only have 1 founding member even with Brian Johnson in the band.
Old 03-08-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
He could always wear over the ear isolation headphones with a low volume mix. Might not be a "rock" look though...
It always catches me off guard to see Devin Townsend's drummer with his headphones on, but I'm cool with him doing what he has to do.

Old 03-08-16, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sad hearing this news, as a longtime fan I think it is time to call it a day. First it was Malcolm and now with the news regarding Brian, they've had more than a great career and don't need to tarnish that.
Old 03-08-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Hate to sound like a dick, but I'd be kind of pissed if I paid $300 for AC/DC tickets and got a "guest vocalist."

Might be time to throw in the towel.
i don't think there is anything dickish about this. i would not want to see Priest with another singer, nor Maiden. His voice is part of the feeling of the band and it isn't the same band to me replacing a distinctive frontman.
Old 03-08-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They only have 1 founding member even with Brian Johnson in the band.
True, but I give Johnson a pass since he's been the front man for 36 years, vs the 6 Bon Scott was.
Old 03-08-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I do think the band is very AC/DC like, but their singer doesn't sound THAT much like Brian to me. Would rather just see Airbourne get more fans and continue on as-is.
How about this guy? 77s are AC/DC.

https://youtu.be/mgfHxh81ACI

But I agree that it's probably time to call it a day
Old 03-08-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
How about this guy? 77s are AC/DC.
https://youtu.be/mgfHxh81ACI

It's like a tribute band that doesn't call themselves a tribute band. Maybe they do? I don't know, never heard a thing from him/them before that video. But like Airbourne, they sound more like Bon era AC/Dc than Brian era AC/DC.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-09-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

If Angus really wants to keep going, why not just close the chapter on AC/DC and tour as Angus Young. Okay so he wouldn't sell out stadiums, but at this point he probably has more money than he knows what to do with anyhow. Maybe just do something in the vein of what Slash did with Myles Kennedy. I'm sure he'd have no problem selling out 4-5 thousand seat venues just on his name alone.

If they end up replacing Brian and touring as AC/DC it really gets into the territory of Axl touring as GNR. Why take any of the sheen off the name of ACDC when you really don't have to.

And yeah I know Brian was ACDC's 3rd singer, but he's been their frontman for 36 fuckin years, thats 7 times longer than Bon and a million times longer than Dave Evans. Brian is ACDC as much as Angus at this point and without him, it just isn't ACDC.
Old 03-09-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chadm
If Angus really wants to keep going, why not just close the chapter on AC/DC and tour as Angus Young. Okay so he wouldn't sell out stadiums, but at this point he probably has more money than he knows what to do with anyhow. Maybe just do something in the vein of what Slash did with Myles Kennedy. I'm sure he'd have no problem selling out 4-5 thousand seat venues just on his name alone.
I think that Slash project is a great example of what Angus could do. But I'm actually thinking of the album with multiple singers, not just Myles. Angus could probably attract a better lineup of guests to play and sing as well.

And yeah I know Brian was ACDC's 3rd singer, but he's been their frontman for 36 fuckin years, thats 7 times longer than Bon and a million times longer than Dave Evans. Brian is ACDC as much as Angus at this point and without him, it just isn't ACDC.
Those kind of statements always seem very douchey to me. Do they really think fans don't know Brian is not the original? The key is that for most people, Brian is the only singer they actually saw live. Certainly true for me. I was too young to be seeing any tours with Scott. My first AC/DC show was them supporting Flick of the Switch. The famous "This House is Really On Fire" Tacoma Dome show.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,4667941&hl=en

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-09-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

I think that Slash project is a great example of what Angus could do. But I'm actually thinking of the album with multiple singers, not just Myles. Angus could probably attract a better lineup of guests to play and sing as well.

Those kind of statements always seem very douchey to me. Do they really think fans don't know Brian is not the original? The key is that for most people, Brian is the only singer they actually saw live. Certainly true for me. I was too young to be seeing any tours with Scott. My first AC/DC show was them supporting Flick of the Switch. The famous "This House is Really On Fire" Tacoma Dome show.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,4667941&hl=en

That's a funny article. The girl was 14 and her "companion" was 21. Also, check out those "1979" prices!

Old 03-09-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There doesn't seem to be any indication that Johnson wouldn't continue to record albums.

An AC/DC still recording with Johnson would go a long way towards justifying the touring lineup given the circumstances.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 03-09-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's a funny article. The girl was 14 and her "companion" was 21. Also, check out those "1979" prices!

I was at Porkys II playing at the Fine Arts theater.
Old 03-09-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

Dave Evans is ready to return as AC/DC's lead singer, because of course he is.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ori...n-to-the-band/

In other news, Pete Best is ready to return to the Beatles.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 03-09-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
There doesn't seem to be any indication that Johnson wouldn't continue to record albums.
Give it time.
Old 03-09-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Give it time.
They'll eventually all die and turn to dust if given time. They should be able to account for his condition in the studio environment and there's also a lot of money to be made from their new albums. Even though they record the same album every few years they tend to sell well every time.
Old 03-09-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They'll eventually all die and turn to dust if given time. They should be able to account for his condition in the studio environment and there's also a lot of money to be made from their new albums. Even though they record the same album every few years they tend to sell well every time.
Time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rock or Bust is now their last album, or at least their last album with Brian. I can't see them recording an album with Brian, and then touring with somebody else. In fact, most bands that actively tour wouldn't do that, which is why we see so many line up changes once band members are no longer interested in touring (or can't).

But this issues with Brian was only recently realized, so I think we'll have to give it time to see where they go. Saying they have "no current plans" at this time means nothing.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-09-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

it wouldn't surprise me if Rock or Bust is now their last album
So... Bust?
Old 03-09-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Right. Just like Rush are going to continue to record even though they won't tour again.

When it's over, it's over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.