DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/622519-malcolm-young-has-left-ac-dc-due-serious-illness-%5Bupdate-dead-64%5D.html)

K&AJones 09-24-14 04:46 PM

Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64]

Malcolm Young has left AC/DC; nephew will replace him in lineup

The rhythm guitar player and founding member of heavy metal legends AC/DC, Malcolm Young, will no longer be playing with the band due to an extended, serious illness.

"Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm's condition, he will not be returning to the band," the band said in a statement on its website. "AC/DC will undertake a world tour in support of 'Rock or Bust' in 2015. Stevie Young, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm Young, plays rhythm guitar on 'Rock or Bust' and will accompany the band on tour."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

stvn1974 09-24-14 04:54 PM

re: Malcolm Young has left AC/DC Due To Serious illness [UPDATE: Dead at 64]

I enjoy Black Ice and can't wait to hear a new album of their one song. Can't wait to see them live either. I am glad that if Malcolm isn't going to be able to be on the album and tour at least they kept it in the family with his and Angus' nephew.

hdnmickey 09-24-14 05:13 PM

Didn't Malcolm announce he was leaving a long time ago? Seem to remember some story about it and wondering it that meant they were finally going to work on another album.

sleepyhead55 09-24-14 05:25 PM

I think I read somewhere that he had a stroke and that's why he can't play guitar.

Applejack 09-25-14 06:25 AM

I'm glad they are still going, even without Malcolm.

I don't want to live in a world without AC/DC. You always know exactly what you are going to get and it is always worth a listen

rw2516 09-25-14 06:47 AM

Time marches on. Slowly aging band members are being replaced by their kids to keep the family business going. By 2025 we'll have a new genre, Next Gen Rock, new albums by the Stones, Beatles, Zep, Who, etc. where every band member is a younger relative of the original.

starseed1981 09-25-14 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Applejack (Post 12246711)
I don't want to live in a world without AC/DC. You always know exactly what you are going to get and it is always worth a listen

Yep.

Geofferson 09-25-14 11:46 AM

Sad to hear, but glad they're marching on. Heard they recorded the album in 10 days and that it's a step up from 'Black Ice'. Looking forward to hearing the first single "Play Ball" this weekend as part of baseball's post-season.

cultshock 09-25-14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 12246278)
I think I read somewhere that he had a stroke and that's why he can't play guitar.

No, actually it is being reported that he is suffering from dementia and his wife has had to have him put into a nursing home. His short term memory is practically gone. Poor guy...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...25-10m1hs.html

ytrez 09-26-14 08:25 AM

Dementia, wow. That's really a shame. I didn't realize he was 61 that makes sense since I've been listening to them since the mid-70's. Malcolm is the backbone of AC/DC for me and the best rhythm guitarist in the business. I wish both him and the band well.

Why So Blu? 09-26-14 09:22 AM

Holy crap, that's really sad. They just played at River Plate, what, not even 5 years ago? That just creeped up fast.

I am glad I was able to catch the band at The Forum a few years ago when they played in support of Black Ice. To date, it was the loudest show I've ever been to. I was deaf for about 3 days.

VHS? 09-26-14 09:34 PM

AC/DC Legend Malcolm Young Suffering Dementia - “He Has A Complete Loss Of Short-Term Memory”

According to Yahoo.com, Malcolm Young, one of the founding members of veteran Australian rockers AC/DC, has dementia and is being treated in an aged care facility in Sydney, reports said on Friday.

Young, 61, suffered a stroke last year while the Sydney Morning Herald reported that he has dementia and was now a full-time patient at an exclusive Sydney care home.

"If you were in the room with (Young) and walked out then came back in one minute later he wouldn't remember who you are," the Herald's veteran music writer Bernard Zuel cited a Young "family connection" as saying.

"He has a complete loss of short-term memory. His wife Linda has put him in full-time care."
Dude. He's like 10 second Tom :(

Columbia Records has announced the North American release of Rock Or Bust, the highly anticipated new studio album from AC/DC, available December 2nd. The album will be released in the band's homeland, Australia, on November 28th.
Starting September 27th, Turner Sports will provide fans a sneak peek of the new track "Play Ball" as part of the 2014 Major League Baseball Postseason campaign.The content will run for several weeks across TBS, the exclusive home to this year’s American League Postseason coverage, as well as leading media brands within the Turner portfolio.

A sample of "Play Ball" can be heard below, in the post-season promotional trailer for TBS’ American League baseball playoff coverage:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nztuVUM0o9U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rock Or Bust is the first AC/DC album in the band’s 41 year history without founding member Malcolm Young on the recordings. The album has the following track listing:

“Play Ball”
“Sign of the Times”
“Ain't The Way”
“Rock or Bust”
“Done Her Good”
“Steal My Meal”
“Watching Games”
“Cardhouse Blues”
“Bulletride”
“Rumble”
“Back in the Zone”

AC/DC will undertake a world tour in support of Rock Or Bust in 2015. Stevie Young, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm Young, plays rhythm guitar on Rock Or Bust and will accompany the band on tour.

covenant 09-28-14 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 12247675)
No, actually it is being reported that he is suffering from dementia.

Actually, it was the stroke that brought on the dementia.

"Young, 61, reportedly suffered a stroke last year and did not participate in the recording sessions for AC/DC's new studio album"

Mike86 09-28-14 11:37 AM

I'm not a huge fan of AC/DC really but that's a shame about Young's condition. They're easily one of the most iconic rock groups of all time and he was a big part of their success obviously.

devilshalo 10-07-14 01:33 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cIE8F_OL_Ds?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cultshock 10-07-14 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12250018)
Actually, it was the stroke that brought on the dementia.

"Young, 61, reportedly suffered a stroke last year and did not participate in the recording sessions for AC/DC's new studio album"

I wasn't denying that he had a stroke last year, I was just providing an update on his current situation.

covenant 10-07-14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 12261636)
I wasn't denying that he had a stroke last year, I was just providing an update on his current situation.

The word "No" isn't a denial?

"I think I read somewhere that he had a stroke and that's why he can't play guitar." "No, actually it is being reported that he is suffering from dementia."

:confused:

Barth 10-07-14 09:21 PM

Big AC/DC fan, but I hope the album isn't filled with songs like "Play Ball". It's got the AC/DC hook but there is absolutely no substance to that song. I realize a lot of their songs are like that, but to repeat the same set of lyrics over and over for a 2:45 song after the first 40 seconds is beyond bad.

covenant 10-08-14 08:33 AM

Agreed. I listened to Play Ball and said yup, that's AC/DC, but don't care to ever hear it again.
And that riff at the 1:00 and 1:40 mark...like nails on a chalkboard.

covenant 12-08-14 10:47 PM

I forgot all about this album coming out, (bows head in shame). But dang if it doesn't rock from beginning to end. And it's short and sweet at 35 minutes. Perfect.

Why So Blu? 03-07-16 06:42 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread but this is shocking yet not at all surprising:

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson ordered “to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss”

The future of AC/DC is up in the air after frontman Brian Johnson was ordered by doctors to “stop touring immediately” due to severe hearing problems.

According to a press release, doctors have advised Johnson that if he does not stop touring, he risks “total hearing loss.”

As a result, AC/DC have postponed the remainder of their US tour, including an April 4th performance at Madison Square Garden. A press release notes that these shows will be rescheduled later in the year, “likely with a guest vocalist.”

AC/DC were on tour in support of their 2014 album, Rock or Bust.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...-hearing-loss/

hdnmickey 03-07-16 07:30 PM

Wow. Sorry to read Brian is so bad off. People at the recent show here in Tacoma WA said it was awesome.

Not sure how many will be cool with a "guest vocalist". Best just to move on.

TomOpus 03-07-16 07:38 PM

They played here last week. I didn't attend but a local review said it was a near perfect concert. What is interesting, with this latest news, is the writer-up for the concert had the headline, "AC/DC deafens sold-out Sprint Center crowd last night."

VHS? 03-07-16 08:52 PM

It sucks, but I have to wonder why in 2016 that we dont have something that can help with this.
I mean while he has been to far more loud concerts than I have been, I have been to many shows in my life and if I am too close (by choice) and cant deal with how loud it is, I simply put in my ear plugs.

I know lead singers have to wear ear pieces as not to deal with feedback and such, but are you telling me there is nothing on the market that can allow him to hear what he needs, at a low volume as not to damage his hearing?

A "guest vocalist" only works at a show or two. Not an entire tour regardless if you have several "guest vocalist". Malcolm already gone and now the lead singer? NOT AC/DC and plus, who can actually sing like Brian that will at least make it seem like AC/DC

Josh-da-man 03-07-16 09:26 PM

Hate to sound like a dick, but I'd be kind of pissed if I paid $300 for AC/DC tickets and got a "guest vocalist."

Might be time to throw in the towel.