Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Funnily, Taxi Driver was one of my first iTunes Downloads in 2004.
Old 04-12-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Shit, just got a shipping notification from WaxWorks about an hour ago. Looks like they've improved their shipping times.
Old 04-12-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was looking at Waxwork Records' FB page and there were folks that kept saying that both versions were sold out and WW told them to refresh their browsers, because it seemed like folks were stacking their shopping cards with copies and not checking out. I didn't know that would be an issue. Also, folks have already started listing them on Ebay.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-12-16 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Picked up the tri colored version this morning as well as Tourist Trap and Tales From the Darkside. I think I have about 90% of the waxwork releases. I wished I would have picked up Rosemary's Baby though.
Old 04-13-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While written with the novice in mind, I still found this article pretty helpful: http://pitchfork.com/features/articl...rd-collection/
Old 04-13-16, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by auto
While written with the novice in mind, I still found this article pretty helpful: http://pitchfork.com/features/articl...rd-collection/
Good article, but they probably should have shown a pre amp and hi wattage amp for the power hungry magnapans. I have never heard a pair but as I understand they need lots of power and you either love them or hate them!
Old 04-14-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So has anyone seen the cover art for the Rob Zombie Record Store Day release?
Old 04-14-16, 04:15 PM

Yeah just saw it. I wonder how many non fans will buy it just to get the cover art.
Checked my local stores and it looks like I won't be getting that Heartworn Highways set. No one around here is gonna carry it.
Old 04-14-16, 04:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Yeah just saw it. I wonder how many non fans will buy it just to get the cover art.
Checked my local stores and it looks like I won't be getting that Heartworn Highways set. No one around here is gonna carry it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it makes way to the LITA online store next week.
Old 04-14-16, 06:05 PM

I have a feeling the hot RSD item is the Ol' Dirty Bastard pic disc. Probably White Stripes Peel sessions too.
Old 04-14-16, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a list of about 10 items and every side by side. My sister will be hitting up a store on Saturday but I wont be able to hit a place up till Monday. Ill see how it goes!
Old 04-14-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-ordered this. Hopefully it comes down in price before release date - it's kind of steep at 31$ and change.

Old 04-15-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking about buying just because of it's significance to me.

Back in the 80's when the Dead Kennedys released Frankenchrist, the band was sued and I believe Jell Biafra charged with a crime for including a "lewd" HR Giger poster. Now, a band can put out THIS on a COVER and no one cares.
Old 04-15-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Picked up the tri colored version this morning as well as Tourist Trap and Tales From the Darkside. I think I have about 90% of the waxwork releases. I wished I would have picked up Rosemary's Baby though.
Waxwork has confirmed they'll be reissuing it.
Old 04-16-16, 02:09 PM

Posted my RSD experience over at Steve Hoffman:

Star Wars
Buzzcocks
Disney Skeleton Dance
Doors
ODB
7" Bowie
Johnny Cash TV
Madonna
Bowie 1966
White Stripes

I was spending too much after tax day so I left KMFDM, Requiem For A Dream and the other Johnny Cash and assorted jazz. I would have bought TMWSTW Bowie, but they sold out and I just frame those up anyway. I have a bunch of the 7" behind the stereo.

They did have a weird Ziggy Stardust remixed bootleg with the rsd stuff at Waterloo. Kinda cool and I am listening now. Didn't see it on any list. Anyone else see this one?

Oh I arrived at 4:30 AM. Waterloo opened at 8 and I was out at 8:45 and drove to Encore. They also opened at 8 AM. That's where I bought The Doors and Skeleton dance
Old 04-16-16, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Waxwork has confirmed they'll be reissuing it.
Great. I'll get another chance. I do hope that wasn't what they teased on their instagram the other day though. Something about one of the scariest movies of all time. Kinda hoped that was the Exorcist.

Managed to get the Heartworn Highways set as well as Emmylou Harris, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Rocking Vickers, Cheap Trick, Easybeats and the Bowie EP. Kinda wish I could have gotten the Maiden picture disc. Not complaing though I spent a ton already.
Old 04-16-16, 08:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

So my new setup is complete:
UTurn Audio White w/ pre-amp & acrylic platter & Grado Black 1
Monoprice Hybrid Amp
2 x KEF iQ10's for room listening
KEF M500's for headphone listening

Listened to a bunch of stuff Friday night.

Holy shit, this is what I've been missing??
I mean, I knew the Crosley was bad (so very very bad), but DAMN... even though the needle and tubes are still breaking in, it's sounding pretty damn nice. I played a few of my typical go-to songs, and they sounded good, but not amazing. Then I threw on The Antlers last album (Familiars); specifically the song Parade. That right there was the turning on of the proverbial light switch. Maybe it's because I'm pretty familiar with that song, but it just had a whole new life to it that wasn't there before. Hard to describe.
After that, I went through some typical stuff for me (Pink Floyd, Tool, Nine Inch Nails), and continued to be blown away.
New Deftones sounded good, too. I've got the 180g version.
I've got about 100 or 150 records I can revisit, but I'm looking forward to picking up some new and old stuff again, too.

Oh, and I've got two copies of the new Explosions in the Sky album. The "tour" edition, which I'm keeping, but also the "Texas" edition, which is limited to 1,000 copies. I haven't opened it. I got both because I pre-ordered the latter, but picked up the former when I saw them last month. So if anyone wants the unopened one for a fair price (what I paid + shipping), I'll send it your way. PM me.
Old 04-17-16, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

came out last week http://www.amazon.com/Dystopia-LP-Pi...a+picture+disc
Old 04-17-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did not know Cheap Trick had released a new album - pre-ordered the vinyl for $16.99 off of Amazon.

Old 04-17-16, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Posted my RSD experience over at Steve Hoffman:
Disney Skeleton Dance
Doors

Oh I arrived at 4:30 AM. Waterloo opened at 8 and I was out at 8:45 and drove to Encore. They also opened at 8 AM. That's where I bought The Doors and Skeleton dance
Mind sharing how much you paid for these? I cant find them anywhere and I want them so Im curious how much the scalpers are robbing..
Old 04-17-16, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Mind sharing how much you paid for these? I cant find them anywhere and I want them so Im curious how much the scalpers are robbing..
Honestly the skeleton dance sounds awful, yet probably as good as it can. To me it's only interesting for the classic Disneyland label. But it was $8. The doors was a lot at $56. I hadn't planned to buy it, but I felt guilty going into the smaller local shop just looking for the Man Who Sold The World pic disc and not buying anything when they didn't have it. When I saw the Quality Records sticker though I knew I'd be happy with it.

I am more excited every about the six 12" Smiths singles and two original UK Smiths records ( Queen and Hatful) I scored for $60 from the UK. You guys can check them out on my Instagram @vinylfanmichael. I bet Supermallet sports wood
Old 04-17-16, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Honestly the skeleton dance sounds awful, yet probably as good as it can. To me it's only interesting for the classic Disneyland label. But it was $8. The doors was a lot at $56. I hadn't planned to buy it, but I felt guilty going into the smaller local shop just looking for the Man Who Sold The World pic disc and not buying anything when they didn't have it. When I saw the Quality Records sticker though I knew I'd be happy with it.

I am more excited every about the six 12" Smiths singles and two original UK Smiths records ( Queen and Hatful) I scored for $60 from the UK. You guys can check them out on my Instagram @vinylfanmichael. I bet Supermallet sports wood
Damn thats wild man. $8.... Sucks that it sounds bad but for $8 I would be ok, Wanna sell it? lol. Im seeing people wanting $100 for the doors and thats insane. So the places you went were in Austin? I moved from San Antonio and my sister still lives there and she went to a place that seemed slim pickens. Theres this great shop in San Marcos that I have been wanting to hit up sometime.

Im going to try El Paso tomorrow.
Old 04-18-16, 07:55 AM

I have been to the San Marcos shop once. They had a lot of leftiver RSD product from 1-2 years previous. So does Encore on east 6th for that matter. I have the best luck at Waterloo. I just arrive early and get nearly everything I want. My friends store, Sound Gallery on South Congress does not participate, but they have a great selection of stuff you don't see anywhere else in town.
Old 04-18-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lost Themes II just came in - I ordered the limited white and red swirl version from Sacred Bones. I'm sort of bummed out that there wasn't that much "swirl" on my copy. Granted, it does have a pink tint and it does have some reddish patterns but it's not as prominent.

Old 04-18-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally opened up that 3 LP release of the Batman v Superman 3 color vinyl set I got a couple of weeks ago.

It was a bitch to photograph the etching on the black disc. It's quite lovely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.