Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 10:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
Sorry, don't have any experience with test records. I just use a digital stylus gauge to set the tracking force and a protractor tool to check the cartridge alignment. Pretty basic, I know.
Yes, I’ve done those but I’m trying to get the proper anti-skating, and optimal arm height/VTA for the new cartridge. I’d also like a mono track for the channel balance because I think I’m going to have to amplify the preamp out for some records and I want to get the levels correct.
Old 03-10-24, 09:58 PM
X
Administrator

Sorry, don't have any experience with test records. I just use a digital stylus gauge to set the tracking force and a protractor tool to check the cartridge alignment. Pretty basic, I know.

Is that a Technics SL-1200 turntable?

I got 1.97g on my scale and figured that was close enough.
Old 03-10-24, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by X
Is that a Technics SL-1200 turntable?

I got 1.97g on my scale and figured that was close enough.
Stock photo. I have an AT-LP120XUSB for downloading to the computer and an AT-LPW50PB for listening in my home theatre room.
Old 03-19-24, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

This is so cool!!! Mondo is releasing the "Lost Soundtrack" of Road House which will feature all the songs sung by The Jeff Healey Band in the movie. This goes on sale 3/21 at Noon CT and I'm sure it will sell out fast. Makes me wish I got into collecting vinyl.
https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/roa...l-on-sale-info
Old 03-20-24, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I’m buying very little these days (The Who set being an exception)
How does the audio sound to you on the Who's Next + San Francisco Live set? As good as advertised? I have an opportunity to acquire this at a very decent price ... is there anything about it that you aren't impressed with?
Old 03-20-24, 05:16 PM
X
Administrator

How does the audio sound to you on the Who's Next + San Francisco Live set? As good as advertised? I have an opportunity to acquire this at a very decent price ... is there anything about it that you aren't impressed with?
I would get it. The audio is really good, particularly on the Who’s Next album. That one’s vinyl is very, very quiet as well. At least now, after my A-T cartridge dug out the one pop I noticed.

For the rest of the set, the live recording is surprisingly good for being recorded so long ago and the performances are great. I did get some vinyl noise on lead ins and outs, but barely noticeable during most of the performance. On one of the live sides I heard some high-frequency ticks that seem like a vinyl flaw but when it got to the quiet spots the ticks were gone so I’m thinking it was what was recorded.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I would get it. The audio is really good, particularly on the Who’s Next album. That one’s vinyl is very, very quiet as well. At least now, after my A-T cartridge dug out the one pop I noticed.

For the rest of the set, the live recording is surprisingly good for being recorded so long ago and the performances are great. I did get some vinyl noise on lead ins and outs, but barely noticeable during most of the performance. On one of the live sides I heard some high-frequency ticks that seem like a vinyl flaw but when it got to the quiet spots the ticks were gone so I’m thinking it was what was recorded.
Much appreciated ... went ahead and ordered it for just under $71 CAD. It was too good to pass up ...
Old 03-29-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Billie Eilish slams other musicians for being ‘wasteful’ with various versions of their vinyl records

Billie Eilish is expressing her frustrations about the need for some artists to produce multiple vinyl albums in various variants.

In a new interview with Billboard, the multi-Grammy winner shared how she’s always been eco-conscious and makes it her mission to keep sustainability at the forefront of her career. Eilish touched on her work on making vinyl more sustainable when she said she thinks it’s “wasteful” for “some of the biggest artists” to make multiple copies of their albums in several vinyl options.

“We live in this day and age where, for some reason, it’s very important to some artists to make all sorts of different vinyl and packaging,” the singer said. “Which ups the sales and ups the numbers and gets them more money and gets them more…”

It should be noted that Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever” came in eight vinyl variants. However, the magazine notes that she used 100% recycled black vinyl and recycled scraps for colored variants, as well as shrink-wrap made from sugar cane.

“I can’t even express to you how wasteful it is,” Eilish continued. “It is right in front of our faces and people are just getting away with it left and right, and I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable — and then it’s some of the biggest artists in the world making f---ing 40 different vinyl packages that have a different unique thing just to get you to keep buying more.”

The singer further expressed her irritation with artists’ desire to have a best-selling album and make different options just to get their numbers up. Vinyl sales contribute to an artist's overall album sales, especially when tallied up for the Billboard charts.

“It’s irritating to me that we’re still at a point where you care that much about your numbers and you care that much about making money,” Eilish said. “And it’s all your favorite artists doing that s---.”

Last year, the Oscar winner launched and funded REVERB's Music Decarbonization Project to help eliminate carbon emissions created by the music industry.

In 2020, TODAY reported that vinyl exceeded CD sales for the first time since the 1980s, with nearly 10 million more LPs sold than in 2019. And the sales have been growing ever since. However, not all vinyls are environmentally friendly.

Most vinyl is made of non-recyclable vinyl, and according to Keele University, modern records typically produce 0.5kg of CO2. The materials in the PVC plastic records can even leach plasticizers, chemicals that make it more flexible.

As for Eilish, she told Billboard that in her pursuit to make sustainability a priority, she’s also taking her merchandise into account. The singer said that the problem of making her clothes well made, ethically and sustainable, “It’s going to be more expensive and that’s the thing: People can be upset by that. But I’m trying to pick one of two evils.”

She added that it’s a never-ending fight and “it’s pretty impossible to force someone to care. All you can do is express and explain your beliefs.”

​​​​​​​https://www.yahoo.com/news/billie-ei...065155050.html
Old 03-29-24, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Good for Billie!

A while back I started getting put off by all of the variants being pumped out into the market. And I don't just Taylor Swift... nearly every artist does this. Colored vinyl, swirled vinyl, splatter vinyl, glitter vinyl... I have way too many of these from fucking heavy metal bands. It starts to feel like they're just taking advantage of their hardcore fans to get them to buy multiple copies of their LPs
Old 03-29-24, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Although there are a few colored vinyls i have which i like i’ve never purchased a record for its color and would never purchase a second copy of an album just for its color.
Old 03-29-24, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Although there are a few colored vinyls i have which i like i’ve never purchased a record for its color and would never purchase a second copy of an album just for its color.
But you’re not the target. It’s the people that buy 10 of the same water bottle and make TikToks about it. My biggest problem is the differing track lists. Fuck that.

Last edited by Kdogg; 03-29-24 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-29-24, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I’ve been lucky enough not to run into differing track lists on anything I care about. The version of rag and bones from icky thump i have on vinyl isn’t the same as what i had on cd which bugs me but i refuse to look into it.
Old 03-30-24, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I'm a purist, I just prefer plain old black vinyl. One annoying trend I don't like is when a metal band released an album on normal black vinyl, it goes out of print and now sells for crazy money, and they then finally release a new pressing only in some stupid color. So I've got to either overpay if I want an older black pressing, or pay a reasonable price for a new dumb colored pressing.
Old 03-30-24, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer black vinyl as well. Colored vinyl tends to sound worse. I understand the gimmick but I prefer substance over style when it comes to vinyl.
Old 04-01-24, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Outside of over-pressing vinyl (I'm looking at you Adele!), I don't see how vinyl is wasteful.

Think about it - people hold onto their vinyl for decades! Even if they don't, they get passed onto friends/family or get sold to stores and they find new homes. I have some vinyl going back to the '50s! It's one of the few items in a home that don't end up in landfills.

What's actually a waste is pressing using "recycled" vinyl, because those end up sounding like shit, and you just wanna throw those away, because they're just useless.
Old 04-01-24, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I prefer black vinyl as well. Colored vinyl tends to sound worse. I understand the gimmick but I prefer substance over style when it comes to vinyl.
This is a misnomer. The color doesn't matter (black is a color added to vinyl like any other - pure vinyl is clear/cloudy). What matters is the quality of the actual vinyl used. Though some wacky colorings, like splatter-vinyl may affect surface sound, but not always.
bchbdaddy (04-02-24)
Old 04-01-24, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, Pink Floyd's new clear Dark Side of the Moon upcoming vinyl release looks awesome and I'm going to buy it even though I already have the 180G standard vinyl.

I mainly came in here to say talk about Jack White's third man records - if his records are indeed made there, they suck. I bought both of his new album in vinyl and fear of the dawn just sounds bad and entering heaven alive had some defect/stuff stuck to the record and even skipped on areas that showed no sign of wear and tear.
Old 04-01-24, 12:58 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rival11
Well, Pink Floyd's new clear Dark Side of the Moon upcoming vinyl release looks awesome and I'm going to buy it even though I already have the 180G standard vinyl.
I’d like to know how it sounds — please tell us after you listen to it. I’m pretty happy with this Japanese version but I’m a sucker for perfect pressings of classic records.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2395...de-Of-The-Moon
Rival11 (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11

I mainly came in here to say talk about Jack White's third man records - if his records are indeed made there, they suck. I bought both of his new album in vinyl and fear of the dawn just sounds bad and entering heaven alive had some defect/stuff stuck to the record and even skipped on areas that showed no sign of wear and tear.
Third Man is not a great pressing plant. They may get lucky here and there, but they're below average, at best.
The best State-side plants are, Quality Records, Gotta Groove and RTI - though RTI and Quality have slipped a little of late. I think mostly because they've taken on more jobs than they can handle.
And out of Germany, most of the stuff out of Pallas will be a really good pressing.
Rival11 (04-02-24)
Old 04-01-24, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
And out of Germany, most of the stuff out of Pallas will be a really good pressing.
Optimal in Germany is pretty good as well, at least with the records I have that were pressed there.
Old 04-01-24, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This is a misnomer. The color doesn't matter (black is a color added to vinyl like any other - pure vinyl is clear/cloudy). What matters is the quality of the actual vinyl used. Though some wacky colorings, like splatter-vinyl may affect surface sound, but not always.
I'm always a little sketchy on colored vinyl. From what I understand, adding the black carbon color improves the sound and durability of records because of its anti-static properties.

As far as other colors go, I haven't really noticed a lot of difference. I have heard that glow-in-the-dark LPs have poorer sound quality because the glow in the dark pigment is a granulated powder that increases surface noise.

I have two glow-in-the-dark LPs (Return of the Living Dead soundtrack and Repo Man soundtrack) and neither of them sound too bad, but the there's definitely more surface noise than on plain black vinyl.

The other thing I've noticed is that on some of my half-and-half colored LPs that the colors sound a bit different during quiet passages or between tracks. It sort of goes FFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSS if you listen closely. Not louder, but just a little different.
Old 04-02-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard the same thing regarding black vinyl, the carbon can help with static, etc. And I've definitely heard that glow-in-the-dark vinyl sounds bad, I've purposely avoided buying any. As far as other coloured vinyl, this is purely anecdotal, but the albums I've had the most issues with have been ones that are a color other than black. Not all of them but enough of them to make me personally avoid them if possible. And it's definitely easier to see dirt, dust, etc. on black, so they're easier to clean.
Old 04-03-24, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Not my thing but some here may dig it:

Various Artists 'Footloose (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)' - Vinyl Me, Please (vinylmeplease.com)

Spoiler:

Old 04-08-24, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

?

Old 04-08-24, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought Tools Fear Inoculum Vinyl recently (3 records) and I appreciate the effort put in on the last record which only has one playable side (also, so far, this is the best sounding vinyl I own):

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.