Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I have a record brush and a microfiber cloth I use

I clean everything I get used (and even new sometimes) with a wet spin cleaner system
Old 06-15-17, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I have a record brush and a microfiber cloth I use

I clean everything I get used (and even new sometimes) with a wet spin cleaner system
Any particular type of cloth? I wipe everything - its usually covered in some kinda crap. But it seems my cloth thats a regular glasses cleaning cloth causes tons.
Old 06-16-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Just got the new King Gizzard album (their 2nd of 5 albums they're releasing in 2017), in limited "vomit-splatter" colored vinyl!

Old 06-16-17, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Any particular type of cloth? I wipe everything - its usually covered in some kinda crap. But it seems my cloth thats a regular glasses cleaning cloth causes tons.
I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And today I bought a new record brush:

trying to reduce as much static as i can...
Old 06-16-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Just got the new King Gizzard album (their 2nd of 5 albums they're releasing in 2017), in limited "vomit-splatter" colored vinyl!

Nice. Reminds me of the Cooties score that was in chicken nugget vomit splatter:

Old 06-18-17, 10:35 AM

I bought these:

And today I bought a new record brush:

trying to reduce as much static as i can...
Nice, those cloths are similar to mine; but the brush with the short bristles is what I need! I am getting some damn heavy static sometimes. I have stopped using my cloth with every spin. Instead, I have taken to wiping my vinyls with the cloth a few days in advance (instead of right before I spin them) to let the static "die down" and when I actually spin them, give them a wipe with the brush. Seems to be working....

Which leads me to my next foray into a gadget. Have any of you guys tried the Onzow: ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUS...J5VBDJB5WJ7SZT

Im thinking of going for it as my next, addiction addition.

And damn!! I am digging those puke variants!
Old 06-18-17, 07:33 PM

Nice, those cloths are similar to mine; but the brush with the short bristles is what I need! I am getting some damn heavy static sometimes. I have stopped using my cloth with every spin. Instead, I have taken to wiping my vinyls with the cloth a few days in advance (instead of right before I spin them) to let the static "die down" and when I actually spin them, give them a wipe with the brush. Seems to be working....

Which leads me to my next foray into a gadget. Have any of you guys tried the Onzow: ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUS...J5VBDJB5WJ7SZT
Got it today, the short bristle brush from amazon is really nice
Im thinking of going for it as my next, addiction addition.

And damn!! I am digging those puke variants!
Old 06-18-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That ZerODust stylus needle cleaner is next on my list. U-Turn Orbit also carries it at their store.
Old 06-19-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you guys clean new records? I mean brand new fresh out of the shrink-wrap record. And by clean, I mean a good wash, with the proper cleaner and a vacuum. Because I was scolded for not doing that to my new records. And I'm like, I'm sure they could use a proper cleaning, but man, I'm just not that anal, and why do new records have to be so filthy - why not clean them at the plant before packaging them? I can't think of another product that needs a thorough cleaning when new in order to be used properly.
Old 06-19-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Nope.

I use my brush on every record new/sealed on both sides before playback and that's it. I will not buy a washer for my records.
Old 06-19-17, 09:21 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you guys use sleeve covers for your vinyls to protect the cardboard from breaking. If so which one do you recommend
Old 06-19-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
^ Nope.

I use my brush on every record new/sealed on both sides before playback and that's it. I will not buy a washer for my records.
I brush them too - but I guess there are chemical bonding agents that get released after packaging, and just standard factory filth that need to be washed off for proper playback, also as to not ruing your needle.

I mean, if a new record is dead quite, I don't see the reason, but I have had a few new records that have much more noise that a new record should, and I wouldn't mind washing those. But then, I've heard that after a wash, washed records could develop a "swishing" sound. It's like, you can't win!
Old 06-19-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nando820
Do you guys use sleeve covers for your vinyls to protect the cardboard from breaking. If so which one do you recommend
I use these.

They're a big bigger than some other outer sleeves, but the smaller ones are too snug or don't fit around the thicker double-LP sleeves. These fit the thicker records fine, and while they're a bit loose on the thinner single record sleeves, there's no problems with that.
Old 06-19-17, 10:47 AM

Do you guys clean new records? I mean brand new fresh out of the shrink-wrap record. And by clean, I mean a good wash, with the proper cleaner and a vacuum. Because I was scolded for not doing that to my new records. And I'm like, I'm sure they could use a proper cleaning, but man, I'm just not that anal, and why do new records have to be so filthy - why not clean them at the plant before packaging them? I can't think of another product that needs a thorough cleaning when new in order to be used properly.
Who scolded you?

I don't, because I do not have the means. I am looking at that MKII Spin Clean washer to clean everything because even new vinyls are always covered in stuff - fuzz, paper bits, something. But my "routine" now involves wiping every record (new or used) with my cloth and putting it away before I hear it. Than as it spins I use my anti static brush to wipe real quick.
Old 06-19-17, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That ZerODust stylus needle cleaner is next on my list. U-Turn Orbit also carries it at their store.
Yea that's where I first saw this thing. I probably wont get one till August or so, if ya get one let me know what you think!
Old 06-19-17, 11:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I use these.

They're a big bigger than some other outer sleeves, but the smaller ones are too snug or don't fit around the thicker double-LP sleeves. These fit the thicker records fine, and while they're a bit loose on the thinner single record sleeves, there's no problems with that.
Thank you! I'm gonna order these, apparently is a pack of 50. Don't have many records but there are a few that I rather keep well protected
Old 06-19-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Hey, can anyone recommend a recently re-released vinyl for my dad? Something like Loving Spoonful or classic Simon & Garfunkel?

tks
Old 06-19-17, 02:44 PM

Only if I find an older sealed one at a record store or an estate sale. or if it sounds like crap.
Old 06-19-17, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Hey, can anyone recommend a recently re-released vinyl for my dad? Something like Loving Spoonful or classic Simon & Garfunkel?

tks
SGT Pepper's 2 LP Vinyl is freaking awesome.

I also liked the Sam Cooke, Legend 2 LP:
Old 06-19-17, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
I've been using these from Ebay, $20 for 100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-12SE03-12-Record-LP-Outer-Sleeves-Vinyl-Outersleeves-3mil-High-Clarity/401106043161?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
They are pretty nice, I've been collecting a lot recently so they have a nice bang for the buck
Old 06-19-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been using these from Ebay, $20 for 100

They are pretty nice, I've been collecting a lot recently so they have a nice bang for the buck
I've used those before too, and they're good and very similar to the ones I posted, only these are a tad bit smaller and might not fit the thicker vinyl packages too well.
Old 06-19-17, 06:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who scolded you?

I don't, because I do not have the means. I am looking at that MKII Spin Clean washer to clean everything because even new vinyls are always covered in stuff - fuzz, paper bits, something. But my "routine" now involves wiping every record (new or used) with my cloth and putting it away before I hear it. Than as it spins I use my anti static brush to wipe real quick.
Don't buy the Spin Clean washer. Order this instead and buy a wet-vac for $20 to go with it: http://m.ebay.com/itm/152541432371?_mwBanner=1
The addition of the vacuum cleaning is huge.
Old 06-20-17, 04:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Great find over the weekend. A neighbor a couple blocks up the street had a garage sale. I was riding along on my bike and saw a crate of records maybe 1/3 full. Figure what the hell. Was mostly soundtracks and 80s pop, then near the very end stumbled upon this. Tough to come by to begin with and for $3 virtually impossible. WLP of Dan Penn's soul/country album from 1973. Record has barely been played. Probably the best find I've had in recent memory.

Old 06-23-17, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Don't buy the Spin Clean washer. Order this instead and buy a wet-vac for $20 to go with it: http://m.ebay.com/itm/152541432371?_mwBanner=1

The addition of the vacuum cleaning is huge.
That's pretty bad ass!!!! But pricey for now. So are those other cleaners though. Kinda on a self imposed fixed budget. And vinyl budget. I promised not to buy anything until my damn The Thing vinyl arrives! !!
Old 06-24-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-ordered the score to Bad Batch from Mondo.

Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.