Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Originally Posted by Mordred

Disagree. The "mouth foaming" line might be a bit strong, but when she says that "I have come to believe (not just wonder) that Obama's plan is to destroy America from within," and told people to refer to Obama as King Obama, she's definitely gone off the deep end. In my opinion that's not political discourse, it's just lunacy.
That's pretty tame for protest speech. "King George II" was an accepted pejorative for President Bush. I remember Russ Feingold actually calling him that.
Old 03-19-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I probably haven't thought of her in twenty years, and all I really remember was a song called "On the Greener Side" or something, but I was always under the impression she was a lesbian.
She is almost certainly a lesbian.
Old 03-19-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
It's getting harder every day to defend your party isn't it?
1. I'm not a Republican.
2. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the prime example.
Old 03-19-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Disagree. The "mouth foaming" line might be a bit strong, but when she says that "I have come to believe (not just wonder) that Obama's plan is to destroy America from within," and told people to refer to Obama as King Obama, she's definitely gone off the deep end. In my opinion that's not political discourse, it's just lunacy.
Fair enough, those statements are not defensible. However, none of that context was provided, she was simply labled a "mouth foaming Tea Partier", implying that we all just know what those people are like.
Old 03-19-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That's pretty tame for protest speech. "King George II" was an accepted pejorative for President Bush. I remember Russ Feingold actually calling him that.
That's a good point (even if it's a really dumb thing to call the president). The "lunacy" was more referring to the belief that the president secretly wants to destroy America from within, than the childish name calling.
Old 03-19-13, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I am shocked. SHOCKED, that you would call me such inflammatory names! How dare you sir!
If you have any trouble... I'll be on the bridge.
Old 03-19-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a good point (even if it's a really dumb thing to call the president). The "lunacy" was more referring to the belief that the president secretly wants to destroy America from within, than the childish name calling.
Well it makes logical sense. How else could a President destroy America?
Old 03-19-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that's it Ripley ya dun goofed!

I'm gonna get the Internet poleese (assuming that's gogogoon around here) to backtrace you and we're gonna hunt you down and pee on you simultaneously.

Old 03-19-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gogogo31
Horrendously disappointing, but based on how much I care about the artist in question, it's not as severe a disappointment as learning that Moe Tucker of The Velvet Underground became a mouth-foaming Tea Partier(!!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Tucker#Personal_life
Wow. But thinking about it more, out of the main members of the band, Moe Tucker probably had the least to do with the greatest that is VU. Heck, my favorite VU album is "Loaded" which she wasn't even on.

(I still have to wonder what the hell was going through her mind when the VU was performing songs like "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting for the Man")
Old 03-19-13, 08:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

10 shows on her tour have been cancelled by the venues:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...i-gay-comments

That's ok, she can probably still play at the Westboro Baptist Church and Michelle Bachmann rallies.
Old 03-19-13, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
1. I'm not a Republican.
2. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the prime example.
I'm not a republican either but it is getting extremely God Damned hard to defend the Democratic party as well.

haven't closed guantanimo

haven't got us out of Afghanistan

spending money that we don't have and wont be able to pay back if we don't spend another dime for 50 fucking years

selling out our great grandchildrens sovereignty to china by refusing to protect American industry and manufacturing and suckling at their teat to bankroll our retarded spending

fucked the "rich Americans" by letting the two percent tax credit expire (i guess if you have a roof and ramen noodles you are rich by a politicians standards

continuing the erosion of civil liberties started by the Bush administration and taking it to the next level by going after the internet

not really accomplishing anything regarding gay rights, border security or illegal immigration

We need a good libertarian congress to fix this shit before it's too late.

Also, the Michelle Shocked thing at least worked from the standpoint that I had never heard of her before this.
Old 03-20-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
(I still have to wonder what the hell was going through her mind when the VU was performing songs like "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting for the Man")
Her political views probably changed over the years. Most people's do in some way or another, whether they go more left or more right.
Old 03-20-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Her political views probably changed over the years. Most people's do in some way or another, whether they go more left or more right.
Especially if they've had a drug or alcohol problem and turn to religion as a replacement.
Old 03-20-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember Michelle Shocked for the song Anchorage. She was decent enough but sort of dissolved over the years.

What's "shocking" to me is I always thought she was a liberal, protest singer given album covers like this:

And I never really gave it much thought, but her appearance almost always seemed like a lesbian. No big loss. By the way, does she perform as the blonde housewife now?
Old 03-20-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
It's getting harder every day to defend your party isn't it?
Old 03-20-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

It doesn't show the tirade it's just a commentary.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zUcQ-m_LOPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-20-13, 09:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a video of an Occupy London event she was at, performing some godawful protest song. According to the video, this happened October 13 of last year, so she clearly still has some of her old liberal leanings (unless the switcheroo happened over the last 5 months).

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBoqEqNZhr8?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBoqEqNZhr8?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 03-20-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Here's a video of an Occupy London event she was at, performing some godawful protest song. According to the video, this happened October 13 of last year, so she clearly still has some of her old liberal leanings (unless the switcheroo happened over the last 5 months).

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBoqEqNZhr8?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBoqEqNZhr8?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Hmm...interesting. she seems able to embody the most annoying, unpleasant aspects of both the right and the left. That's quite an accomplishment.
Old 03-20-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I remember Michelle Shocked for the song Anchorage. She was decent enough but sort of dissolved over the years.

What's "shocking" to me is I always thought she was a liberal, protest singer given album covers like this:

And I never really gave it much thought, but her appearance almost always seemed like a lesbian. No big loss. By the way, does she perform as the blonde housewife now?
Well she's obviously changed. She probably went to one of those Christian Ministries that offer a "cure" for homosexuality.
Old 03-20-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I came in here expecting to read about some crazy broad I've never heard of. This is more enjoyable.
There is this thing called Google, you know.

I made my comment and left, then realized this thread had gotten to three pages

Now it's about politics and the morality of poking your head into threads where you might not belong.
Old 03-20-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you were alive and in college in the late 80s and 90s, you might have heard of Michelle Shocked. Otherwise, probably not.
Old 03-20-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I have a lesbian friend who's also a musician and performed with Shocked back in the day. She says Michelle was as gay as the day is long. So weird to hear about all of this now.
Old 03-20-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Denial is a bitch.

Old 03-20-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

hey, what the hell are y'all doing discussing Michelle Shocked in this thread?
Old 03-20-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

interesting article: http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...005432281.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.