Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Are you a fan of progressive rock?

Old 02-11-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you a fan of progressive rock?

What would be the opposite of progressive rock? Regressive rock? And what would be an example of it?
Old 02-11-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Punk rock which is said to be a response to prog a lot.
Old 02-11-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
What would be the opposite of progressive rock? Regressive rock? And what would be an example of it?
Punk, low-fi garage stuff, that type of thing.

And I have one that van der graaf missed. Bought this on a whim at a record fair once. They're called Tetragon, and they're from the early 70's. A bit on the jazzy/fusion side.

So I guess I'm sort of a hipster too.
Old 02-11-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joey liked prog

Joey Ramone record collection up for auction- complete list of records here
Posted on February 7, 2013 by johnrobb
1013 953 Google +1 0 1992

RAMONE-C-16APR01-MN-HO

The patron saint of punk rock, the late Joey Ramone, has put his record collection up for auction.

We have the whole list of records below … and it’s rock classics a go go.

Joey Ramone’s personal record collection, consist of 97 records in their original album sleeves. Some artists include Led Zeppelin, The Who, T. Rex, Cream, Bob Dylan, The Human League, Iggy Pop, The Doors, The Temptations, and the Ventures. Overall they’re in a very good to fine condition, with various scattered creases and small tears to sleeves. Some have affixed prices tags and labels, and marks to vinyl.

Provenance: Joey Ramone Estate. The collcetio’s accompanied by a letter signed by Joey’s brother Mickey attesting to the collection’s authenticity.

Complete list of albums: 68/WRKO (30 Now Goldens) The Allman Brothers Band (At Fillmore East) Paul Anka (Vintage Years 1957–1961) The Beach Boys (20 Golden Greats) The Beau Brummels (The Original Hits) Pat Boone (Greatest Hymns) Jimmy Campbell (Half Baked) CAP-FM (What’s In-Store For You) Cheap Trick (One on One) Alice Cooper (Killer) Cream (Cream) Cream (Live Cream Volume II) The Dave Clark Five (American Tour) The De Franco Family Band (Heartbeat, It’s a Lovebeat) Donovan (Mellow Yellow) The Doors (The Doors) Dwight Twilley Band (Twilley Don’t Mind) Bob Dylan (Greatest Hits Vol. II) Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) Emitt Rhodes (Emitt Rhodes) John Entwistle (Smash Your Head Against the Wall) Eric Burdon & the Animals (The Twain Shall Meet) David Essex (All the Fun of the Fair) The First Class (The First Class) Flo and Eddie (Moving Targets) Four Rock ’n’ Roll Legends (Live in London) The Four Seasons (2nd Vault of Golden Hits) Marvin Gaye (Let’s Get It On) Genesis (Nursery Cryme) The Grass Roots (Where Were You When I Needed You) The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Are You Experienced) Herman’s Hermits (Best of, Volume II) The Hideouts (Best of) The Hollies (Hollies Live) The Hollywood Stars (The Hollywood Stars) The Human League (Dare) The Human League (Fascination!) Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) Elton John (Tumbleweed Connection) The Kinks (Preservation Act 2) KISS (Dressed to Kill) Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy) Laura Lee (Women’s Love Rights) Gary Lewis and the Playboys (This Diamond Ring) Ray Manzarek (The Whole Thing Started with Rock & Roll Now It’s Out of Control) The Marvelettes (The Return of The Marvelettes) The McCoys (Human Ball) Mickey and Sylvia (Do It Again) Keith Moon (Two Sides of the Moon) Rick Nelson (In Concert) The Paupers (Magic People) Peter, Paul and Mary (10 Years Together) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Official Live ’Leg) Pezband (Pezband) Pink Fairies (Kings of Oblivion) Gene Pitney (The Gene Pitney Story) Plastic Bertrand (Ca Plane Pour Moi) Iggy Pop (Lust For Life) Pretty Things (The Vintage Years) Lloyd Price (His Big Hits) The Rascals (Once Upon a Dream) The Rascals (See) Raspberries (Raspberries) The Rationals (The Rationals) Lou Reed (Sally Can’t Dance) The Righteous Brothers (Greatest Hits) The Righteous Brothers (The History of The Righteous Brothers) The Searchers (Volume 2) Neil Sedaka (The ’50s & ’60s) The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (Next) Silverhead (16 and Savaged) Carly Simon (No Secrets) Slade (In Flame) Slade (Slade Alive!) Patti Smith Group (Easter) Sonny and Cher (The Two of Us) Billy Squier (Don’t Say No) Status Quo (Live) Cat Stevens (Teaser and the Firecat) Rod Stewart (Every Picture Tells a Story) Rod Stewart (Sing It Again Rod) Sweet (Give Us a Wink) T. Rex (Bolan Boogie) T. Rex (Light of Love) The Temptations (A Song For You) Toots & the Maytals (Funky Kingston) The Tubes (Young and Rich) Ike and Tina Turner (Workin’ Together) The Ventures (The Ventures Play Telstar and the Lonely Bull) Wet Willie (Drippin’ Wet) The Who (Odds & Sods) The Who (Portrait of the Who) Spanky Wilson (Specialty of the House) Yes (Close to the Edge) The Young Rascals (Collections) The Youngbloods (Ride the Wind) The Zombies (Early Days) RR Auction COA.
Old 02-11-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joey only owned 97 records?
Old 02-11-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
well that's the point of a thread like this - so others can expose us to some other bands. I'm intrigued now - thanks.
Ugh. Now prog rock is so over. IT'S OVER MAN.
Old 02-11-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Earlier today I listened to the album "666" by Aphrodite's Child. Some of you guys might like that album. It was one of the bands Vangelis was in before he went solo.
Old 02-11-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Ugh. Now prog rock is so over. IT'S OVER MAN.
Not if you understand progressive rock as, well, continually progressing. Many would include what is labelled 'post-rock' today as infected by the prog rock spirit. Bands like Mono (the Japanese band), Red Sparowes, Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You, Do Make Say Think, Explosions in the Sky, etc. And, don't forget Tool and the Mars Volta (who, yes, just broke up, but much of Rodriquez-Lopez's work would be in this spirit, too).
Old 02-11-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post

So I guess I'm sort of a hipster too.
HA! Welcome to the club

And, there are a bunch I've missed: Alusa Fallax, Celeste, Caravan, Peter Hammills solo work, Jukka Tolonnen's solo work, Gnidrolog, Reale Accademia Di Musica, I Califfi, Buon Vecchio Charlie, Focus, a bunch others...
Old 02-11-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Yay! I probably should have also mentioned that they're good friends with Steven Wilson and he's done some producing and mixing of their albums. Plus, if you're familiar with Anneke van Giersbergen (of The Gathering, Devin Townsend Project, and her own solo stuff) has sung on a few of their albums and even did a solo project with the lead singer of Anathema (Danny Cavanagh) which was pretty good.
It's funny because you know I am a Steven Wilson fanboy, and I love the Gathering with Anneke and somehow I have not fully embraced Anathema.

I've been buying their albums regularly since I saw Eternity released in the mid-90's and was intrigued by the album art. But I've never had their stuff on "repeat". I think I need to give it more attention. I'll start with Weather Systems.
Old 02-11-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Google "American Psycho Genesis"

Duke is a good album. It has nothing to do with progressive rock though. More like 80s arena rock.
I still think Trick of the Tail is the best "proggish" Genesis record with Collins singing. But Duke is very memorable.
Old 02-11-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
I started listening to Riverside recently, they are pretty damn good ... working through their albums on Spotify
They have a new one due out soon, but I think the debut Out Of Myself is the best. Great mood and atmospherics.
Old 02-11-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I used to use the term "regressive rock" to describe 99% of the rock music on the radio. Nothing challenging or outside the norm.
Old 02-11-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
Earlier today I listened to the album "666" by Aphrodite's Child. Some of you guys might like that album. It was one of the bands Vangelis was in before he went solo.
That's interesting - I've been hearing clips of them while playing SongPop - I did not know that about Vangelis. I'll have to check it out and hope it isn't too pedestrian.
Old 02-12-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread needs more Eloy. For me, the most consistently good prog band there was ...

Old 02-12-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
It's funny because you know I am a Steven Wilson fanboy, and I love the Gathering with Anneke and somehow I have not fully embraced Anathema.

I've been buying their albums regularly since I saw Eternity released in the mid-90's and was intrigued by the album art. But I've never had their stuff on "repeat". I think I need to give it more attention. I'll start with Weather Systems.
Yeah, I kinda figured you'd be into them. At least you've given them a shot though. Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're Here are my favorites. They've also released a couple albums (Falling Deeper and Hindsight) which are just re-recordings of their earlier doom stuff with the doom removed. They're interesting and enjoyable in their own way, but you can tell that the songs weren't originally written with a progressive rock style in mind.
Old 02-12-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Camel
Caravan
Hatfield & The North
Gong
Kevin Ayers (No relation)
Steve Hillage
Mike Oldfield
Dave Stewart (Egg)
Henry Cow
Art Bears
Robert Wyatt

Most of these were considered part of the Canterbury Scene (UK) and in America, there was no equivalent. This was a fringe group of progressive rock artists, that I still enjoy today. In the middle 70's, the only way I was able to learn about them was to listen to college radio. I also went to record shops and asked for old Import record catalogs and read them cover to cover.

Here is one of my favorite compilation albums: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14393

(Notice the number of fingers)