Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Are you a fan of progressive rock?

Old 02-10-13, 01:33 AM

Re: Are you a fan of progressive rock?

This thread is severely lacking in mentions of Gentle Giant

Also, King Crimson and Procupine Tree/Steven Wilson are practically my favorite groups ever.
Old 02-10-13, 02:14 AM
Banned by request

The Larks' Tongues In Aspic lineup of King Crimson is one of the most musically impressive groups ever. As is the Discipline lineup.
Old 02-10-13, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
That's the problem - they're too popular in the genre. Hipsterism in prog - delicious irony.
Right, that's it, hipsterism!!!! Good job

FYI, VdGG are pretty popular (in prog circles), as are PFM, Banco and Le Orme, so that has nothing to do with it. It is that most of the bands mentioned (outside of KC and Gabriel era Genesis) are pretty bland and boring.
Old 02-10-13, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'll overlook the oppressive air of condescension and check some of these bands out.

And while some of the bands we listed are obvious, I don't see what's pedestrian about them. There's a reason people think of bands like Yes, ELP, and early Genesis when they talk about progressive rock.
Check out Gentle Giant, too. And the reason people think of those bands is because they get/got airplay, and it is a very limited type of symphonic prog. Again, they are all ok, especially Gabriel era Genesis (Selling England by the Pound is a great album) and some Yes, but there is a lot more challenging, complex, beautiful, and creative (i.e. progressive) stuff out there.
Old 02-10-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha View Post
This thread is severely lacking in mentions of Gentle Giant
As well as the pedestrian and trite offerings of Camel

Old 02-10-13, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
As well as the pedestrian and trite offerings of Camel

There is nothing pedestrian or trite about Snow Goose. Thanks for playing though.
Old 02-10-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
For modern progressive rock with an epic feel, it doesn't get any better than Anathema. They pretty much invented the death/doom genre in the mid '80s and then around 2001 they dropped the harsh vocals and started morphing themselves into the best progressive rock band working today. I can't figure out why they aren't more popular in America. They're like Porcupine Tree with a better vocalist and better songs (and I love Porcupine Tree).
Wow, very impressive! Never heard of these guys before, but I'm going to start now.
Old 02-10-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04 View Post
Wow, very impressive! Never heard of these guys before, but I'm going to start now.
Yay! I probably should have also mentioned that they're good friends with Steven Wilson and he's done some producing and mixing of their albums. Plus, if you're familiar with Anneke van Giersbergen (of The Gathering, Devin Townsend Project, and her own solo stuff) has sung on a few of their albums and even did a solo project with the lead singer of Anathema (Danny Cavanagh) which was pretty good.
Old 02-10-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
Right, that's it, hipsterism!!!! Good job

FYI, VdGG are pretty popular (in prog circles), as are PFM, Banco and Le Orme, so that has nothing to do with it. It is that most of the bands mentioned (outside of KC and Gabriel era Genesis) are pretty bland and boring.
Check out Gentle Giant, too. And the reason people think of those bands is because they get/got airplay, and it is a very limited type of symphonic prog. Again, they are all ok, especially Gabriel era Genesis (Selling England by the Pound is a great album) and some Yes, but there is a lot more challenging, complex, beautiful, and creative (i.e. progressive) stuff out there.

Jesus, people. Can you name more obvious, pedestrian, and cliched prog bands?

Not to say they are bad, because many aren't (fuck that neo-prog bullshit though), but mix in some Van der Graaf Generator, Museo Rosenbach, PFM, Banco, Area, Magma, Tasavallan Presidentti, Bi Kyo Ran, Yonin Bayashi, Le Orme, Ange, Comus, New Trolls, Osanna, Dun, Bubu, Triana, Semiramis, 5uus, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow, Yezda Urfa, Alphataurus, Corte dei Miracoli, Wigwam, and a whole lot of others....
There is nothing pedestrian or trite about Snow Goose. Thanks for playing though.

And what about Juan and Jorge?
Old 02-10-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jesus, people. Can you name more obvious, pedestrian, and cliched prog bands?

Not to say they are bad, because many aren't (fuck that neo-prog bullshit though), but mix in some Van der Graaf Generator, Museo Rosenbach, PFM, Banco, Area, Magma, Tasavallan Presidentti, Bi Kyo Ran, Yonin Bayashi, Le Orme, Ange, Comus, New Trolls, Osanna, Dun, Bubu, Triana, Semiramis, 5uus, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow, Yezda Urfa, Alphataurus, Corte dei Miracoli, Wigwam, and a whole lot of others....
Wow. A prog hipster. Now I've seen everything.
Old 02-10-13, 01:20 PM

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
Old 02-10-13, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
Wow. A prog hipster. Now I've seen everything.
Wow. Another misuse of hipster. Redundancy is redundant.
Old 02-10-13, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by arminius View Post

And what about Juan and Jorge?
Fascinating montage of uselessness.
Old 02-10-13, 01:35 PM

Here's some more "hipster" referrals for all of you trite, cliched prog-heads:

De De Lind, Raccomandata con Ricevuta di Ritorno, Deus ex Machina, Il Balleto di Bronzo, Anglagaard, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Jumbo, Thinking Plague, U Totem, Web/Samurai, Greenslade, Apoteosi, Metamorfosi, Zao, Gryphon, Sleeping People, The Six Parts Seven, Acqua Fragile, Spring, Marsupilami, Bigletto Per'Linferno, Panna Fredda, Maxophone, Tartufi...

There, yes, I know about shit you don't...even Neo-prog - check out Twelfth Night's first album, came out a year before Marillion's hackneyed bullshit. I am prog-hipster, hear me roar.
Old 02-10-13, 02:57 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

In all seriousness I was listening to Duke yesterday.
Old 02-10-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What?!?!?! No love for Mike Oldfield?!?!?!?

Old 02-10-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Favorite prog / sort of prog stuff:

Genesis: Foxtrot
Hawkwind: Space Ritual
Yes: Close to the Edge
Can: Soon over Babaluma
Gentle Giant: Octopus
Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet
Neu!: Neu! (debut)
Amon Duul 2: Wolf City
801:801 Live
Ozric Tentacles: Strangitude
Old 02-10-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post

Somehow this always makes it into a prog rock thread.
Old 02-10-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

In all seriousness I was listening to Duke yesterday.
Google "American Psycho Genesis"

Duke is a good album. It has nothing to do with progressive rock though. More like 80s arena rock.
Old 02-10-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There, yes, I know about shit you don't...even Neo-prog - check out Twelfth Night's first album, came out a year before Marillion's hackneyed bullshit. I am prog-hipster, hear me roar.
Egads. And here I am liking Marillion for whatever reason. I'm grateful we have someone of your caliber, a discerning arbiter of all that is good and bad, here to set us all straight.
Old 02-10-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember the first time I heard a Marillion song years ago and thought it was new Genesis.

How about Be Bop Deluxe?
Old 02-10-13, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Egads. And here I am liking Marillion for whatever reason. I'm grateful we have someone of your caliber, a discerning arbiter of all that is good and bad, here to set us all straight.
Old 02-11-13, 08:40 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Google "American Psycho Genesis"
I know exactly what it's from. That is why I prefaced my comment with "in all seriousness".
Old 02-11-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started listening to Riverside recently, they are pretty damn good ... working through their albums on Spotify
Old 02-11-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a big fan of this genre but I guess The Nice counts.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.