Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mars Volta break up

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Mars Volta break up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mars Volta break up

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/the-m...a-breakup.html

The Mars Volta's sixth and probably final LP, Noctourniquet, dropped in March 2012. In lieu of a corresponding tour, there was talk of a hiatus. Now it's officially over, per vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala, who broke off from At the Drive In with Omar Rodríguez-López in 2001 to form the psych-prog-jazz-hardcore-math-etc.-rock group. "I can't sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta," Bixler-Zavala tweets. "Thank u 2 all VOLTA fans u deserved more especially after the way u rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going. But Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead." (Bosnian Rainbows is the latest musical venture for the brain-smashingly prolific Rodríguez-López, incidentally the Lennon to Bixler-Zavala's McCartney, or vice-versa.) "For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for Noctourniquet but Omar did not want to. ... What am I suppose to do be some progressive house wife that's cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands? We owe it 2 fans to tour." It's not all jabs, though — Bixler-Zavala simultaneously seems a bit misty-eyed over it all: "Thank u a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band."

Omar's side of things, per an NME interview published hours before things went to Breakup Town? "It’s been very strange being without Cedric. It’s one of those bittersweet moments, it’s great for both of us because he’s making this great solo record, which is more of an acoustic thing. I’m really excited to hear another side of him and to work on music without me. He’s composing all the music, playing all the instruments, literally doing everything himself, rather than just singing over the top of my songs." Yeah ... maybe best for these two to have some alone time.
Old 01-24-13, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Mars Volta break up

I think this was on the cards for some time.
Omar looked completely miserable at every At The Drive-In show.
Old 01-24-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Never got into these guys, because they always came off as the biggest douche bags on Earth.
Old 01-24-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I taped them once opening for the Pixies, and after about 20 minutes they said, "this is our last song"...that went on for another 30 minutes. F that noise.
Old 01-24-13, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Mars Volta just rambled a lot. They were OK in small doses.

At the Drive-In is the band I really wish had never broken up. God, I loved their albums. Just an awesome sound and good songs.
Old 01-25-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks Obama!
Old 01-25-13, 07:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This news sucks. Great band, great drummers, too many good songs to count. Their last album wasn't their best, but the song 'empty vessels make the loudest sound' is really great. Bummed I got to see them play only once...
Old 01-25-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They were great, and they put out a nice catalog. It'll take me years to really digest it all.
Old 01-29-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The lost me when I went to see them live and they closed with Cassandra Gemini (which lasted 40 minutes).
Old 01-29-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is, listening to these guys on headphones was a mind numbing experience. Not sure if it was good or bad but they definitely were mind numbing. How a guitarist comes up with that much improvisational histrionics and is then able to (I assume) duplicate it live is truly beyond me.
Old 01-29-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad, but not surprising. Lots of ego in that band.

De-Loused In The Comatorium is a top-10 all-time album for me.
Old 01-29-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im going to miss them, one of my favorite bands. I guess im not shocked, but sad to see them go. I agree about De-Loused
Old 01-29-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
All I can say is, listening to these guys on headphones was a mind numbing experience. Not sure if it was good or bad but they definitely were mind numbing. How a guitarist comes up with that much improvisational histrionics and is then able to (I assume) duplicate it live is truly beyond me.

Tom Morello and Buckethead have been doing that since forever.