Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Surviving Monkees plan tour...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 05:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Further to Davy Jones RIP it appears that Mike Nesmith is re-joining the fold... having first quit in '69, appearing in an earlier reunion back in 1995/97 (album "Justus; UK tour)...
Surviving members of 60s pop band The Monkees will perform their first live shows together in fifteen years.

The 12-date US tour, which begins in November, will mark the band's first tour since Davy Jones died in February, at the age of 66.

Band members Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork will perform some of the bands hit songs, including Daydream Believer and I'm a Believer.

Manchester-born lead singer Jones died of a heart attack on 29 February.

The four Monkees members were brought together to star in a US television show in 1966.

The made-for-TV band - widely touted as America's answer to the Beatles - rocketed to the top of the music charts enjoying four number one albums in a 13-month period.

The original band broke up in 1969, when Nesmith quit. In 1995 all four band members reunited for a UK tour and released a new studio album the following year, entitled Justus.

Further reunion tours - without Nesmith - took place in 2001 and 2011, but the last year's tour was cut short over a reported scheduling dispute.

After announcing the upcoming tour, Nesmith - who last played with the band in 1997 - told Rolling Stone Magazine he "never really left" the group.

"It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place, but like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current.

"Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play," he said.

The three surviving members of The Monkees will pay tribute to Jones on tour, in a multimedia show with photographs and videos.

"David's presence and his past will be throughout the show," said Nesmith.

"He will be missed in his absence, but very much on our minds and in our heart."

Nesmith said the setlist will be focused around the band's third album, Headquarters - but will also include songs from Nesmith and Tork, which have never previously been performed in concert.
Some intriguing phraseology in the above, methinks!

BBC source
Old 08-09-12, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Surviving Monkees plan tour...

I'd go to this in a heartbeat, shame there are no New England dates though, looks like the closest they are coming to where I am in upstate NY, which isn't very close.
Old 08-09-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I'd go to this in a heartbeat, shame there are no New England dates though, looks like the closest they are coming to where I am in upstate NY, which isn't very close.
My thoughts exactly, and you're 2 hours closer than me.
Old 08-09-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Flying from FL to NY for the Huntington show 12/1. Third row seats. Very excited.
Old 08-12-12, 07:48 PM

Major surprise that Nez is touring with the guys. It won't be the same without Davy but i'm going. I'm in Alabama but i'm still going to the show in Chicago. It's rock and roll history.
Old 08-12-12, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
Major surprise that Nez is touring with the guys. It won't be the same without Davy but i'm going. I'm in Alabama but i'm still going to the show in Chicago. It's rock and roll history.
Is Nez in money trouble?
Maybe no need for whiteout anymore.
Old 08-12-12, 08:52 PM

No. he's very secure. The guys want to do this for Davy and the fans. If it was the money it would be more than 12 dates. I think Davy's unexpected passing was a wake up call for them and they figure now's the time before it's too late.