Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Davy Jones RIP

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: Davy Jones RIP

Mike Nesmith:
All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.
Mickey Dolenz
Can't believe it...Still in shock...had bad dreams all night long. My love and prayers go out to Davy's girls and family right now...
Peter Tork
It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones.

His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family.

Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy.

Peace and love, Peter T.
Old 02-29-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I am shocked by this news and extremely saddened.

RIP Davy.
Old 02-29-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Very Sad, jamming to them now via Youtube. I've been meaning to pick up the re-release season sets. Now 1-2 week wait on Amazon.
Old 02-29-12, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palaver
Very sad news.
Monkees were one my all time of favorite groups. He always seemed like a great guy.

One of your "all time favorite groups?" REALLY? Not to sound dickish but really?
Old 02-29-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Somewhere, right now, Marcia is weeping.

RIP
Old 02-29-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More from Mickey Dolenz
I am in a state of shock; Davy and I grew up together and shared in the unique success of what became The Monkees phenomena. The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family.
Old 02-29-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Wasn't he the cute Beatle?

It definitely sucks. He always seemed the nicest and most level-headed of the group.
Old 02-29-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Antenna TV Remembers Davy Jones – “The Monkees” Marathon to air March 3 & 4
From “Daydream Believer” to “Last Train to Clarksville,” The Monkees won hearts on both sides of the pond. Beginning Saturday, Antenna TV remembers Davy Jones with a weekend-long tribute.

Antenna TV, which airs on 60 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 58% of TV households, will honor Davy Jones and The Monkees beginning with a special airing of “Head” (1968) at 1pm ET on Saturday, March 3rd. Antenna TV will also air a complete 58-episode marathon of The Monkees on Saturday, beginning at 5pm ET, and running straight through to Sunday, March 4th with an encore airing of “Head” at 10PM ET.

Antenna TV (http://www.antennatv.tv/) launched on January 1, 2011 and is available as a digital multicast channel on 60 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 58% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.4) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago. For local station information please visit: http://www.antennatv.tv/affiliates
Bolded for those who get Antenna TV and have not seen "Head".
Old 02-29-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Just saw the news and very sad. I grew up liking the Monkees as a kid.

One of my favorite song he sung.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehJNw-T3gpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Davy Jones.
Old 02-29-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was a childhood icon of mine. I will miss him dearly.
Old 02-29-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
One of your "all time favorite groups?" REALLY? Not to sound dickish but really?
Sorry, but you do sound a bit dickish by saying that. We've all got our own personal faves, and The Monkees are very much one of my all time favorite groups. They debuted on this planet the same year I did, and their music and my life have been intertwined ever since. The very first albums I ever owned were copies of their records handed down to me by one of my Aunts.

I know it's easy for people to make light of them, and consider them a bit of a joke, but they actually did make some great, enduring music with many fine songs. Even if they didn't write or preform on all of them. Headquarters remains one of my favorite records by anyone to this day.

I once happily read an interview with R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, where he said that The Monkees were more important to him on a musical level than The Beatles ever were. Like me, The Monkees were his gateway into the world of rock & roll, and as such he always held them in high regard.

They may not mean anything to you, but to some of us, they meant (and still do) a great deal. Hard as that may be for you to understand, we're still in shock and grieving by this news. I, for one, would appreciate it if you could at least think before you make comments such as you did, and maybe not make them at all. Show a little bit of respect, please.

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones. You will be missed, good sir!
Old 02-29-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Just saw the news and very sad. I grew up liking the Monkees as a kid.

One of my favorite song he sung.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehJNw-T3gpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Davy Jones.
Thanks, I was going to post that same song
Old 02-29-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Sad news. RIP.
Old 02-29-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now we need to petition Criterion to put out their version of Head that they made only as part of a box set an individual release.

RIP Davy
Old 02-29-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Now we need to petition Criterion to put out their version of Head that they made only as part of a box set an individual release.

RIP Davy
Here, here!
Old 02-29-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Rocketdog2000. Very nicely put

It was interesting to read your take on how the group affected you, though you were born the same time they were. They were part of my Saturday morning routine along with cartoons. I was too young to understand they weren't really playing the instruments or that they didn't really write the songs. But those were some catchy songs (65 million sold) and they will forever be connected to them.
Old 02-29-12, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Wow, I'm a big fan of the Monkees. Saw them (without Mike, of course) in Cincy last summer. Still have several of their records on vinyl. I thought Peter would be the first to go.

Bummer, RIP Davy.
Old 02-29-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Sorry, but you do sound a bit dickish by saying that. We've all got our own personal faves, and The Monkees are very much one of my all time favorite groups. They debuted on this planet the same year I did, and their music and my life have been intertwined ever since. The very first albums I ever owned were copies of their records handed down to me by one of my Aunts.
Instant Replay is one of my favorite albums, by any group.
Old 02-29-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So has iTunes doubled the prices on Monkees albums yet?
Old 02-29-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time I saw and heard The Beatles, I thought they were a Monkees ripoff.

A lot of Monkees songs hold up better today than a lot of "serious" music from that era.
Old 02-29-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in 5th or 6th grade at that time when we had a contest on who was the better group, The Beatles or The Monkees. The Monkees won. I remember bugging my mother to buy me their albums as they came out. Those, those were different times. And they were a bunch of nice guys screwed over by empty suits.
Old 02-29-12, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

I know it's easy for people to make light of them, and consider them a bit of a joke, but they actually did make some great, enduring music with many fine songs. Even if they didn't write or preform on all of them. Headquarters remains one of my favorite records by anyone to this day.

I once happily read an interview with R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, where he said that The Monkees were more important to him on a musical level than The Beatles ever were. Like me, The Monkees were his gateway into the world of rock & roll, and as such he always held them in high regard.

They may not mean anything to you, but to some of us, they meant (and still do) a great deal. Hard as that may be for you to understand, we're still in shock and grieving by this news. I, for one, would appreciate it if you could at least think before you make comments such as you did, and maybe not make them at all. Show a little bit of respect, please.

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones. You will be missed, good sir!
Well said! I agree about the Headquarters album! My favorite album with More of the Monkees closely behind! Rest in peace David!
Old 02-29-12, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Instant Replay is one of my favorite albums, by any group.

Great album but it is just not the same without Peter!
Old 02-29-12, 06:13 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Davy and Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) were Tiny Cowboy on Phineas & Ferb. I was just watching that episode yesterday.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RyaSHORrVkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by TheBigDave; 02-29-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
They're one of mine too. No offense but if all you know of the "Monkees" concept/band is just the TV show and some pop culture punchlines, you don't know dick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.