Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whitney Houston has died

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Whitney Houston has died

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whitney Houston has died

AP is reporting Whitney Houston has died:

Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
AP Music Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale."

She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy," Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.

It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.

Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.

"The time that I first saw her singing in her mother's act in a club ... it was such a stunning impact," Davis told "Good Morning America."

"To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song. I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine," he added.

Before long, the rest of the country would feel it, too. Houston made her album debut in 1985 with "Whitney Houston," which sold millions and spawned hit after hit. "Saving All My Love for You" brought her her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal. "How Will I Know," ''You Give Good Love" and "The Greatest Love of All" also became hit singles.

Another multiplatinum album, "Whitney," came out in 1987 and included hits like "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody."

The New York Times wrote that Houston "possesses one of her generation's most powerful gospel-trained voices, but she eschews many of the churchier mannerisms of her forerunners. She uses ornamental gospel phrasing only sparingly, and instead of projecting an earthy, tearful vulnerability, communicates cool self-assurance and strength, building pop ballads to majestic, sustained peaks of intensity."

Her decision not to follow the more soulful inflections of singers like Franklin drew criticism by some who saw her as playing down her black roots to go pop and reach white audiences. The criticism would become a constant refrain through much of her career. She was even booed during the "Soul Train Awards" in 1989.

"Sometimes it gets down to that, you know?" she told Katie Couric in 1996. "You're not black enough for them. I don't know. You're not R&B enough. You're very pop. The white audience has taken you away from them."

Some saw her 1992 marriage to former New Edition member and soul crooner Bobby Brown as an attempt to refute those critics. It seemed to be an odd union; she was seen as pop's pure princess while he had a bad-boy image, and already had children of his own. (The couple had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, in 1993.) Over the years, he would be arrested several times, on charges ranging from DUI to failure to pay child support.

But Houston said their true personalities were not as far apart as people may have believed.

"When you love, you love. I mean, do you stop loving somebody because you have different images? You know, Bobby and I basically come from the same place," she told Rolling Stone in 1993. "You see somebody, and you deal with their image, that's their image. It's part of them, it's not the whole picture. I am not always in a sequined gown. I am nobody's angel. I can get down and dirty. I can get raunchy."

It would take several years, however, for the public to see that side of Houston. Her moving 1991 rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl, amid the first Gulf War, set a new standard and once again reaffirmed her as America's sweetheart.

In 1992, she became a star in the acting world with "The Bodyguard." Despite mixed reviews, the story of a singer (Houston) guarded by a former Secret Service agent (Kevin Costner) was an international success.

It also gave her perhaps her most memorable hit: a searing, stunning rendition of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You," which sat atop the charts for weeks. It was Grammy's record of the year and best female pop vocal, and the "Bodyguard" soundtrack was named album of the year.

She returned to the big screen in 1995-96 with "Waiting to Exhale" and "The Preacher's Wife." Both spawned soundtrack albums, and another hit studio album, "My Love Is Your Love," in 1998, brought her a Grammy for best female R&B vocal for the cut "It's Not Right But It's Okay."

But during these career and personal highs, Houston was using drugs. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2010, she said by the time "The Preacher's Wife" was released, "(doing drugs) was an everyday thing. ... I would do my work, but after I did my work, for a whole year or two, it was every day. ... I wasn't happy by that point in time. I was losing myself."

In the interview, Houston blamed her rocky marriage to Brown, which included a charge of domestic abuse against Brown in 1993. They divorced in 2007.

Houston would go to rehab twice before she would declare herself drug-free to Winfrey in 2010. But in the interim, there were missed concert dates, a stop at an airport due to drugs, and public meltdowns.

She was so startlingly thin during a 2001 Michael Jackson tribute concert that rumors spread she had died the next day. Her crude behavior and jittery appearance on Brown's reality show, "Being Bobby Brown," was an example of her sad decline. Her Sawyer interview, where she declared "crack is whack," was often parodied. She dropped out of the spotlight for a few years.

Houston staged what seemed to be a successful comeback with the 2009 album "I Look To You." The album debuted on the top of the charts, and would eventually go platinum.

Things soon fell apart. A concert to promote the album on "Good Morning America" went awry as Houston's voice sounded ragged and off-key. She blamed an interview with Winfrey for straining her voice.

A world tour launched overseas, however, only confirmed suspicions that Houston had lost her treasured gift, as she failed to hit notes and left many fans unimpressed; some walked out. Canceled concert dates raised speculation that she may have been abusing drugs, but she denied those claims and said she was in great shape, blaming illness for cancellations.
Old 02-11-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
re: Whitney Houston has died

I've only seen the AP report. Waiting for others but I would imagine it's true.
Old 02-11-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ton/53053070/1
Old 02-11-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it's everywhere now. RIP.
Old 02-11-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Now we are going to be inundated with stories claiming her to the greatest artist ever, blah blah blah. It's a shame. Forty-eight really is not very old.
Old 02-11-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't a huge fan but I always hoped she would clean up because she had a great voice. It's tough to see her old videos and to see what became of her.
Old 02-11-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

RIP
Old 02-11-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best Super Bowl anthem ever. She will be missed.
Old 02-11-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Houston, she had a problem.

RIP
Old 02-11-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

drugs are bad, mkay?

Old 02-11-12, 07:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

awesome that her name is spelled wrong in the title. seems almost appropriate
Old 02-11-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I just saw one of those "Good Genes or Good Docs" items on her earlier today on TMZ. Wonder if they knew something was up. Here it is: http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/11/whitne.../#.TzcWO1wS34s

Unfortunately, I think she's gonna get mentioned in a lot of Grammy speeches tomorrow.
Old 02-11-12, 07:30 PM

Bobby Brown was her Kryptonite. I remember before she was a singer, she used to model for Seventeen magazine. It's a fucking shame...it really is.
Old 02-11-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP Whitey Houstan.
Old 02-11-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Tragic end to such a brilliant singer (before Bobby Brown)
Old 02-11-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where was Chris Brown? Doesn't he usually get angry right before the Grammys?

Also, this story about her possibly joining The X-Factor was posted just today: http://www.accesshollywood.com/whitn..._article_60431
Old 02-11-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very sad.

Old 02-11-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, we now know how the Grammys will be opening their show.
Old 02-11-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Shocking news.

RIP

Old 02-11-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

L.A. Times says her body was found in a room at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Source asked to be anonymous.
Old 02-11-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tragic news, but not shocked at all. She looked like she was already dead a couple years ago at some awards show. Shocking to me was that she was actually still alive they way she has been looking.

RIP
Old 02-11-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sucks for Clive Davis...Whitney Houston Dies, Grammy Party Now Memorial
Old 02-11-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. Ain't it shocking what love can do?

Old 02-11-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Wow. Ain't it shocking what love can do?

What's love got to do with it? Oops, wrong black female singer.

RIP Whitney Houstan
Old 02-11-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where the hell was Kevin Costner?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.