Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whitney Houston has died

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Whitney Houston has died

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Whitney Houston has died

Pretty sad, but not surprising. Even on the radio the other day, the DJ made a comment when she last saw her on stage there was no life to her performance and seemed like she was just doing it for the money.

RIP Whitney.
Old 02-12-12, 09:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Very tragic news.

I hope Miley Cyrus takes heed of what happened to Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse. We've now lost two phenomenal singers because of their habitual drug use. We don't need to lose another.
Old 02-12-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by redtornado
Very tragic news.

I hope Miley Cyrus takes heed of what happened to Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse. We've now lost two phenomenal singers because of their habitual drug use. We don't need to lose another.
And you place Miley Cyrus in a list of phenomenal singers why?
Old 02-12-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/12/whitne...ub-underwater/

Reportedly found underwater in her bathtub. She was reportedly taking Xanex. They are speculating she may have taken too much and posssibly fallen asleep and then drowned.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-12-12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-12-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

DJ from a local radio station just appeared on the morning news show saying tomorrow they are playing nothing but Whitney Houston songs. He said they are taking requests via their Facebook page. Why not just play her entire albums? You got all day.
Old 02-12-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan but still very sad.
Old 02-12-12, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/12/whitne...ub-underwater/

Reportedly found underwater in her bathtub. She was repportedly taking Xanex. They are speculating she may have taken too much and posssibly fallen asleep and then drowned.
What the...? Is that even possible?

Wouldn't the drowning wake someone up?
Old 02-12-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtornado
Very tragic news.

I hope this is supposed to be sarcastic. Otherwise it ranks as one of the most idiotic posts I've read.
Old 02-12-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Her last performance the night before she died.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6dCnzjAvAus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-12-12, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper

Always sad news to see a tragic end to anyone's life (celeb or not)...and a reminder of the devastation that can be wrought by drugs.

Although I get your point and agree that there are probably many who would trade places with her even knowing the full story, I have a different opinion of what constitutes a "full" life.

Seems that Whitney obtained fame & "success" at the price of decades of misery & humiliation. My 91-year-old mother-in-law recently passed away leaving a legacy of 63 years of happy marriage, scores of friends, and a several generations influenced by her (including great-great grandchildren). Although she suffered from some physical disabilities her last few years, I would say that she led a "full" life".

In comparison, Houston died at a relatively young age and was booed off the stage in 2009 when she attempted a "comeback". At least she did outlive Winehouse by a few decades (I'd imagine there are quite a few people who would have traded places with Amy, too).

Not disputing your sentiments, just saying that it's a difference in perceptions and definition of "full".
That's fair. I guess my definition of full in her case was the experiences and successes she was able to have. There was more of that packed into her 48 years than most people would see in 100 years.
Old 02-12-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I hope this is supposed to be sarcastic. Otherwise it ranks as one of the most idiotic posts I've read.

Pretty sure it's sarcasm.
Old 02-12-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(CBS News)

Developing ...

Bobbi Kristina Brown, only child of the late singer Whitney Houston, has been rushed to a hospital, KCBS has confirmed.

Bobbi Kristina had been staying at the Beverly Hilton, the same hotel where her mother had registered to stay at for a pre-Grammy party Saturday night.
Old 02-12-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

After watching all of her videos on MTV and VH1 this weekend (thats right they actually played videos on these channels today to honor Whitney Houston) I almost forgot how many great songs she had before she got hitched to Bobby Brown. When I was in middle school (mid/late 80's) she ruled the world, as everyone liked her music.

I guess music is different today as every artist has their niche audience to play too, as top 40 back then was beloved by almost everyone when we were in school.

Oh god I sound old!
Old 02-12-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Earlier today Anderson Cooper tweeted:

At @60Minutes today to re-record the open of the @officialadele story for tonite at 7pm. Including references to #WhitneyHouston. So sad.

He didn't say if he had to remove comments or add comments regarding Whitney.
Old 02-12-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If only she had had a creepy, old Canadian manager who hit on her when she was still pre-pubescent, she might be playing Ceasers Palace right now.
Um, OK, that's one way of looking at it I guess
Old 02-12-12, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
That's fair. I guess my definition of full in her case was the experiences and successes she was able to have. There was more of that packed into her 48 years than most people would see in 100 years.
Understood. She certainly got to experience more good things & do more of what she wanted to do during the happy years than most people. If she had died young at the peak of her career, I'd probably agree with you that she had led a full (if short) life. Didn't mean for my comment to sound critical, just coming from a different angle.

So I think we could agree that the years of her success were full, while the years of decline were pretty empty (emotionally and mentally). And that it's sad to see anyone's life end this way and for talent to be squandered. We'd all rather see someone live as long as Johnny Cash, recording material that collectors still cherish right up until the time of his death.
Old 02-12-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I was never a fan, but I remember when her first album came out. People I basically "grew up" with are starting to die off (she was only four years older than me) and it's rather unpleasant. CNN was playing a clip of "The Greatest Love of All" video last night, and it's a very odd feeling to have nostalgia for something that was basically background noise at the time.

I guess she was just someone you figured would always be around.
Old 02-12-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As sad as this day is, and I'm not ashamed to admit to buying her first album because she did have an amazing voice, I really can do without the addition of celebrity twitter quotes to the news reports.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P1pS1S0MVp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-22-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Coroner: Drowning, heart disease, cocaine use killed Houston
The cause of singer Whitney Houston's death was drowning and the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use," the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Thursday.

She was found dead last month in the bathtub of her hotel room in Beverly Hills, California.

The manner of death was listed as an "accident."

Cocaine and metabolites were identified and contributory to her death, the report said.

Other drugs identified in Houston's body were marijuana, alprazolam (Xanax), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl), but they "did not contribute to the death," the report said. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant, and Benadryl is an allergy medicine.

No trauma or foul play is suspected, the report said. The final coroner's report will be available within two weeks, the coroner's office said.
Old 02-11-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Today, (2/11/17) marks 5 years since Whitney passed.